Is Too-Many-Men Penalty a fault of the coaches, or the players?

Whose fault is a Too-Many-Men Penalty?

• Almost always the coach

• Mostly the coach, sometimes a player

• Coach and player is equally responsible

• Mostly a player, sometimes the coach

• Almost always a player

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Well since the Leafs get the most league wide and line match way too strictly its usually on the coach for sure in our case, simply can't be a coincidence. Obviously it varies case to case.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Usually the player(s). It could be a player who's already on the ice who looks to be making a change and says 'one' or 'yeah' but then jumps back into the play and doesn't change, that's his fault. Or it could be the guy on the bench just straight up changing for the wrong guy, i.e 2 players changing for the same player.

Could just be a sloppy change and getting on the ice too quick, I guess that's on both player/coach.

Hard question to answer, it varies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Pretty much always the player(s) fault.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It's almost always the players fault even though the coach may be stubborn with his line matchups in-game.

End of the day though you win as a team, and you lose as a team. The coach is a part of that equation too. Be better next time, that's it.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Always the players fault. If the coach’s tells a player to jump when his check is within 10 feet of the bench then he knows he can not touch the puck until his check is off the ice. Same as the player coming off and he knows his replacement is on the ice he knows not to touch the puck or stop and just continue to the bench. No ones fault if the pucks hits either player while coming on to the ice or off.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Both, but more the player. Even if the coach tells you to get on the ice the player needs to be aware of who is on the ice and where they are. In the end the coach doesn't exactly throw the player on the ice.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I would say the players, unless it's an ongoing issue that the coach fails to correct. In the leafs case, Babcock is pretty obsessed with his line matching and sometimes it can lead to hectic changes. I think in that case, it's on him to come up with a solution

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It’s the coaches fault if he physically shoves a player onto the ice.

Other than that, it’s the player jumping on early, or the player not committing to leaving the ice and stopping to play the puck

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
I would say the players, unless it's an ongoing issue that the coach fails to correct. In the leafs case, Babcock is pretty obsessed with his line matching and sometimes it can lead to hectic changes. I think in that case, it's on him to come up with a solution
babs' last year with the wings the last 10 games or so they had at least one too many men penalties each game.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Depends, how often does a team take a to many men on the ice penalty. If it happens alot blame goes to coach, if it happens every now and then more likely the players fault

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
As long as there aren't a bunch of frequent and major line juggling its pretty much on the players wholly.

Every player has and knows their guy they are trading with. The most common times it happens is when a player off the ice signals for a change and then last minute decides not too for whatever reason evolves in that play. The other kind is just players heads not being in the game.

I really don't see how it has much to do with coaching tbh, its not like elementary school where players need to ask to go to the bathroom. Its like blaming a coach for a puck over the glass play.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Varies from team to team, but it's usually the players fault. It's the coach's fault if he's telling the player on the bench to go (i.e. verbally shoving)

Better question would be is it the fault of the player coming off the ice, or the player jumping on.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Option 3 is how I voted. Still I think both coach and player deserve some of the blame for this penalty.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
depends how often it's happening

ordinary levels of it happening occasionally? that's probably mostly on the player

teams getting a way above average amount of them? the coach is probably doing something wrong

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
All these responses are correct. You also get the defenseman that doesn't realize his guys are chaning in front of him and passes it right to the bench.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's the coaches fault for choosing to dress players that take too many men penalties.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's the coaches fault for choosing to dress players that take too many men penalties.
Not really. It's the GM's fault for getting those players. Then again it's the owners fault for hiring that GM.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Not really. It's the GM's fault for getting those players. Then again it's the owners fault for hiring that GM.
I think we should just blame Bettman.
He represents the owners. And it's common knowledge that he is the root of all evil.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
It depends.
Sometimes the coach can lose track.
Sometimes the coach can confuse the players.
Sometimes the players are confused.
There's no blanket answer.

Reactions: Fixxer

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It is the player's fault almost always - the bad changes. However, sometimes there'll be 6 on the ice for extended periods of time. Those are more likely to be the coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad