Is Timmins that good?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
So I just finished reading this article recaping Timmins' drafting, http://habsforum.wordpress.com/

all I can say is wow... 2003, 2004, 2006, 2009 were all disasters. He did make up for it with 2007 but to see all the guys we could have got in those years, getzlaf/perry/lucic/o'reilly/giroux, if we only landed just 1 of those guy we might've hung a 25th* stanley cup banner with saku raising the cup!

must admit, I don't get why everyone here gives Timmins a free pass :help:

It's like flogging a dead horse, this topic has been throttled so many times here by supposed Hab fans, one might think they were reading the Bruins or Leafs board. Just sayin.:nod:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm going to be honest, when I read people criticise Timmins based on the fact he passed on Perry or Giroux, what I think to myself is that it proves that the average person lacks the ability to process basic information, and that they're best suited for jobs bagging shopping carts or teaching elementary school. It reminds me of how the average American thinks the Earth is 6,000 years old, it's just extremely poor logic. It demonstrates an inability to realise that Timmins should be compared to his peers and not to heavenly perfection, and that randomness ("stochasticity") plays a significant role in drafting success. Further, in this case I saw that the criticism of Timmins came from a Desharnais supporter.

But for fun ....

In 2003
32 teams passed on Loui Eriksson
44 teams passed on Patrice Bergeron
48 teams passed on Shea Weber
61 teams passed on David Backes
131 teams passed on Kyle Quincey
204 teams passed on Joe Pavelski
238 teams passed on Tobias Engstrom
244 teams passed on Dustin Byfuglien
262 teams passed on Matt Moulson

In 2004
40 teams passed on Bryan Bickell
59 teams passe on Brandon Dubinsky
62 teams passed on David Kreicji
90 teams passed on Alexander Edler
96 teams passed on Johan Franzen
126 teams passed on Ryan Callahan
133 teams passed on Kris Versteeg
149 teams passed on Mikhail Grabovski
213 teams passed on Troy Brouwer
257 teams passed on Pekka Rinner
261 teams passed on Mark Streit

And so on and so forth.

For kicks

In 2007
42 teams passed on PK Subban
60 teams passed on Wayne Simmonds
128 teams passed on Jamie Benn

In 2012
2 teams passed on Alex Galchenyuk

Great post. Even more amazing to learn the league has expanded to 262 teams. Go Bettman!

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Because Timmins gets more games out of draft picks than any other team and he can find good picks in the lower rounds. Other teams bank on Top 90 and then the rest of their picks are worthless. Montreal finds valuable players in rounds five and later.

His picks in the Top 60 have been overall weak, sure, but the Pacioretty's, Subban's and Price's make up for it.

Also nobody should expect perfection from draft scouts. If a scout gets two NHLers a year, he's elite.

Timmins has been great, even in the first two rounds.

He's drafted a core that should have competed for the cup every year: Price, Subban, McDonagh, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Emelin. Plus we got Eller out of his Halak pick. Hopefully Gainey's McDonagh blunder won't keep us out of the position he put us in: to be elite for a very long time.

I'm high on Dietz, Sherbak, and the little guys (Lehkonen, Reway, Andrighetto, Hudon, and Audette) that are on the way, and hopefully one of McCarron, Gregoire and Crisp will pan out.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
To this day, I am still perplexed how this guy came to the conclusion to draft a dud like Fischer after having seen Claude Giroux perform 11 times in one season and despite all of his entourage's advice to pick him in the 1st round.

Rookie Mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad