Speculation: Is this year a buyers market?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The haven't been many trades made this year. That usually sets the market value. Hall didn't bring in a massive return either. And there are a lot of big names being floated around:

Toffoli, Tatar, Kovalchuck, Rakell, Fowler, Kapanen, Kreider, Saad, Zucker, Leblanc, Dumba, Pretty all of the predators team. And San Jose seems desperate for a first.

Meanwhile many contenders don't have cap space. Oilers, Vegas, Bruins, Flyers, Caps, Hurricanes, Panthers.

With so many teams selling will prices be low?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
A lot of those players probably don’t move before the deadline. Especially ones with term. Cap is a concern but I think outside of teams moving a 1st for rentals we will see decent movement and players returning solid value. I expect a lot of 2nd + deals in play with players as cap dumps with expiring deals

Apr 9, 2009
USA
There are an abundance of options, which is awesome. Should be lots of movement. Would also assume it could impact value, as you have stated.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Where, exactly, are Fowler and Rakell being floated around? Unless I've missed it, it's just fans on HF that are floating their names.

The haven't been many trades made this year. That usually sets the market value. Hall didn't bring in a massive return either. And there are a lot of big names being floated around:

Toffoli, Tatar, Kovalchuck, Rakell, Fowler, Kapanen, Kreider, Saad, Zucker, Leblanc, Dumba, Pretty all of the predators team. And San Jose seems desperate for a first.

Meanwhile many contenders don't have cap space. Oilers, Vegas, Bruins, Flyers, Caps, Hurricanes, Panthers.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Actually Oilers have cap space. They have two non-roster players eating up $5.5M (soon to be UFAs) in Gagner and Manning that will cost maybe a 3rd to eat at the TDL. It's a team like the Canucks that don't (it will cost $$$ to dump Eriksson and Sutter)

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
It's kinda looking like a buyers market, as of now theres really only like 4-7 teams that are definitely out

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Again, I ask...from where, aside from random HFers? Or, should I say, from what credible source? I'm not necessarily saying it's not being discussed by the Ducks, but it's also not something I've seen. Any links? I'm curious, because I think they should absolutely shop him. I think his value still outweighs what he will bring, moving forward.

Bruins have been linked to Rakell for a while

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
The Blackhawks have cap space but is now looking like they could be buyers instead of sellers. I don't see too many teams being sellers but we still have time before the deadline to see if more teams fall flat and out of the playoff run.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Nope. Sellers market.

Kapanen/Rakell/Dumba are not really available before the deadline. These all, if traded, would be in June around the draft to maximise return. They are not rentals.

Only real quality rentals available are Kreider, Pageau, Toffoli, Kovalchuk at the forward position. I think they all get decent return, given the fact many teams want to update their top 6.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Actually Oilers have cap space. They have two non-roster players eating up $5.5M (soon to be UFAs) in Gagner and Manning that will cost maybe a 3rd to eat at the TDL. It's a team like the Canucks that don't (it will cost $$$ to dump Eriksson and Sutter)

Ooo i guess I didnt realize that. It will be interesting because I think the Oilers will make a push. They have to start making the playoffs with McDavid. The league needs him there.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Nope. Sellers market.

Kapanen/Rakell/Dumba are not really available before the deadline. These all, if traded, would be in June around the draft to maximise return. They are not rentals.

Only real quality rentals available are Kreider, Pageau, Toffoli, Kovalchuk at the forward position. I think they all get decent return, given the fact many teams want to update their top 6.

Its not just rentals though. Tatar and Saad will fetch more know cause they have some term. I think Montreal moves Tatar if they are out. Hes having a monster year and they will maximize his return now in case he cant repeat next year.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The Blackhawks have cap space but is now looking like they could be buyers instead of sellers. I don't see too many teams being sellers but we still have time before the deadline to see if more teams fall flat and out of the playoff run.

I am curious though if teams wait the market might be more flooded right before the deadline. I wonder how that will affect prices and moves.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Nope. Sellers market.

Who said anything about rentals only? I don't know why Kapanen (for example) would be off the table until the draft if the right dman came around. Doesn't make sense. Toronto wants to win now.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Its not just rentals though. Tatar and Saad will fetch more know cause they have some term. I think Montreal moves Tatar if they are out. Hes having a monster year and they will maximize his return now in case he cant repeat next year.

Montreal definitely should move Tatar if they get a solid offer (1st + good prospect or 2, like Muzzin last year), but the fact remains that if they don't get that, they don't HAVE to move him. He's not 100% available like Kreider/Pageau/Kovalchuk.

Barring injury, he should still get really good value next year (I don't see him dropping that much in the near future, he just had 2 solid seasons), and if they plan to try to improve next year, he's still their top LW with Drouin. They have no cap problem for next year as well, and I suspect that rental players will be at a premium next year since, with the expansion draft, teams won't want to acquire major pieces with term.

It's not accurate to say guys like Tatar/Saad are available for sure, hence I think it's more a sellers than a buyers market.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Who said anything about rentals only? I don't know why Kapanen (for example) would be off the table until the draft if the right dman came around. Doesn't make sense. Toronto wants to win now.
I just don't see what Kapanen has to do with a sellers or a buyers market.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

You can have a Kapanen for a D trade. It doesn’t happen often at TDL. Usually trades are for picks and prospects at the deadline

It would be surprising

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019

Take Dumba off this list. He isn't getting traded. Dreger was lying about him being available. Teams will have to overpay. Same with Zucker

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

Flyers are not a contender lol and they certainly arent Buyers. Borderline playoff team who has to HOPE to NOT get in and win the lottery again - hopefully someone who doesn't get migraines...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Where "all of the Predators team" = Craig Smith, Mikael Granlund, and if you can manage the contract Kyle Turris.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'd say the opposite TBH. Of those guys, only Kreider, Grandlund, Smith and Kovalchuk are pending UFAs. One is from a buyer. Nashville is probably looking for more of hockey trade. And even if some or all of those guys are available, none are probably moved unless the teams get a really good return. And honestly, I'm not even sure Montreal moves Kovalchuk, given that he's looked so good there and they don't really need more late round picks.

There aren't a ton of pure rentals that are playing at a high level and not a lot of confirmed sellers. Teams can also retain on contracts and cap space accrues. It looks like a sellers market to be honest, since a lot of teams might just wait if the right deal doesn't come along.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I'd say the opposite TBH. Of those guys, only Kreider and Kovalchuk are pending UFAs. One is from a buyer. And even if some or all of those guys are available, none are probably moved unless the teams get a really good return. And honestly, I'm not even sure Montreal moves Kovalchuk, given that he's looked so good there and they don't really need more late round picks.

There aren't a ton of pure rentals that are playing at a high level and not a lot of confirmed sellers. Teams can also retain on contracts and cap space accrues. It looks like a sellers market to be honest, since a lot of teams might just wait if the right deal doesn't come along.
Toffoli is a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad