Is this why the player's don't trust owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Richard Peddie said:
"All I can tell you is that we've been kept apprised and we'd really like to play hockey this year," he said. "But it has to be the right deal, even for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Even our revenues are drying up, believe it or not. We want a deal that's also good for the Leafs."

I bet Richard, I bet...

I mean if the Leafs are trying to infer anything about going poor.. or in their case, "less rich", I can imagine what teams that actually do have revenue problems are saying..

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No. Players don't trusty the owners because they got screwed in the pre-historic 50s and before. But we aren't back then anymore.

What Peddie probably means is that there are fewer ways to generate new revenue streams in the future as most are already being used. So to keepup with (what was) the ongoing inflation, they woulda had trouble coming up with ideas.

So even the Leafs need a new stable economic system.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I think they still hold deep distrust over Eagleson. By contrast, Goodenow is to Eagleson as Black is to White. Goodenow is solely there for the players and he will act much to opposition of what Alan Eagleson was.

It was apparent from Goodenow's appointment that he would be the tooth-and-nail fighter for the players. He won in '92 and '94 and opened a whole new world for hockey players that they had never experienced. Now, its a general fear that they may be repressed by the Owners, who they see at fault in all this.

Looking ahead, I honestly don't think the NHL and PA will come together for the sake of the game while Bettman and Goodenow are in. The man was hired for a reason - alienate himself from owners and make sure the players get the best possible deal. It's no surprise that the lockout has lasted this long.

Hopefully with the caving of the PA, this will usher in a new era for the partnership between the NHL, PA and hopefully they can start working together without having that awful traitor Alan Eagleson exploiting his base.

Also, does anyone remember the ties that Wirtz and Eagleson had with one another?

Last edited:

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
espion said:
What Peddie probably means is that there are fewer ways to generate new revenue streams in the future as most are already being used. So to keepup with (what was) the ongoing inflation, they woulda had trouble coming up with ideas.

So even the Leafs need a new stable economic system.

No of course this is why the players don't trust the owners. The Leafs revenues are drying up? Everyone knows this isn't true.

This comment is pretty much just as stupid as anything the players have said during the lockout.

It's funny how you say fewer ways to generate new revenue. You're talking about the team that was going to broadcast 15 of their games this year available only on a subscription based television network (LeafsTV).

Trust me, they won't stop finding ways to generate revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad