News Article: Is this the start of the downward slope for the Sedins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HometownHockey

Is this the start of the downward slope for the Sedins?

2014_08_08_L.jpg

I had a friend recently tell me that he thinks the Sedin twins are on the start of a downward slope, as evidenced by last season’s decline in performance. Now I balked at this notion and instead cited injuries and coaching as a reason for an off year. But what if he was right and the Sedins are headed down the dreaded declining slope of production?

READ MORE...
http://www.hometownhockey.ca/hockey/HH0610.php

torlev*

The start of a downward slope? Jeez. That ship has long sailed. Statistically the prime of an NHL forwards career is from 26 to 29. And guess what, the last time the Sedins were over a point per game was, 29! Anybody denying that they aren’t declining players is fooling themselves. They’re going on 34 years old (prior to the start of next season). There are typically something like 30 players in the entire NHL older than 35 years of age. So yeah, this is the age where the majority of players go into STEEP decline.

That said, those who cite Torts and injuries (which, by the way, also a product of age), as reasons why they had bad years, aren’t totally offbase either. I think they will probably have a better year than they did last year. But I have my doubts they’ll ever be point per game players again. It’s just unlikely that they regain that form at age 34 or 35. I’d say the most we can hope for are a couple of 70 point players. Which is pretty damn good. In two years though, I think you’ll probably be looking at 50 to 60 point guys. That’s just what happens at 36+ years old.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Interesting question.
They are on the downslope for sure, but how fast will the decline happen?
On the one hand, they are phenomenally fit (both were top 3 in the 2-mile run test at training camp last year).
On the other hand, they were never "fast" players...and at this point a player WILL get slower, unfortunately.
I think they will be better than last year, for sure. But I don't think we will ever see 80+ points from either Sedin again.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The start of their downward slope was several seasons ago. They're in full fledged decline now. While I expect more than the 40 point range for Daniel, I don't expect over 60 for either player.

John Bender*

The start of their downward slope was several seasons ago. They're in full fledged decline now. While I expect more than the 40 point range for Daniel, I don't expect over 60 for either player.

Gillis legacy gift to Canuck fans, another putrid set of contracts.

torlev*

I'd say that's a pretty pessimistic view. I don't think topping 60 points is out of the question at all. Missing 10 games, in a crap year, 50 points. Another 10 games and a better year, 60 points isn't out of the question in the least.

But I guess if you're saying you can't COUNT on it, then I agree.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Gillis legacy gift to Canuck fans, another putrid set of contracts.

Yes. You focus on that and I will focus on the most successful era of Canucks in all of history. SMH.

When the Sedins rebound and are still contributing at the end of this contract, I can't wait to find this quote.

-------

As for the Sedins, I look at a player like Alfredsson and a lot of other Swedish players who have longevity.

I expect the Sedins to eventually drop down to the 2nd tier players on the team, but not for another couple years. I'd like to see them split up more. I think they'll really elevate the games of the up and coming kids. Ideal mentors and able to teach through play.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
They're in their mid 30s, of course they are on a downward slope. I still believe they're top line forwards, however.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Avatar bet? I'll take both to go over. That puts the odds significantly in your favor if 60 is a reasonable line. I'm also risking one of them getting injured.

You win, you pick my avatar. I win, I get to pick one for you. One year. Deal?

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
Avatar bet? I'll take both to go over. That puts the odds significantly in your favor if 60 is a reasonable line. I'm also risking one of them getting injured.

You win, you pick my avatar. I win, I get to pick one for you. One year. Deal?

Haha. We do this at work but with 'background' bets based on hockey. Friend of mine ended up with a shirtless Crosby as his background for 3 months. Hilarious.

Sedins are obviously not going to put up 100 points and take home any individual hardware but I also think that the previous year was a bit of an anomaly. I would be happy if they could stay healthy and put up some more power play points.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Definitely a downward trend from 100+pt Art Ross trophy winners.

But still fully capable top line players who you can expect 130-160 pts from (between the two)

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
What was Gillis suppose to do? Let the Sedins walk and put the Canucks organization into a hole that would take a lot longer to get out of then it will take to re-tool now.

The Canucks were committed to the Sedins, letting them walk would've been a franchise killing move.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
The Sedins are only effective if they can firmly establish possession down low. Once they do, they are effective still. That means they need a very effective puckhound on their line. Burrows' waning abilities coupled with Tort's deployment hampered them significantly last year, IMO.

torlev*

What was Gillis suppose to do? Let the Sedins walk and put the Canucks organization into a hole that would take a lot longer to get out of then it will take to re-tool now.

The Canucks were committed to the Sedins, letting them walk would've been a franchise killing move.

You’re comment assumes that one thinks that a simple re-tool will suffice, as opposed to a full rebuild.

I don’t believe that to be the case.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
nope watch the hater be proven wrong once again when they get to 100 points.....still take them over choking thorton and MArleau

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
You’re comment assumes that one thinks that a simple re-tool will suffice, as opposed to a full rebuild.

I don’t believe that to be the case.

Your comment (which is grammatically horrible), assumes that letting 2 franchise players walk is "good business" and will lead to a "Re-build" that will work.

There are more examples of teams who went full re-build and it either failed or took much longer than expected than teams who had a full re-build work in a timely fashion.

As I said, the Canucks were committed to the Sedins, letting them walk would've been a horrible hockey and business decision.

torlev*

Your comment (which is grammatically horrible), assumes that letting 2 franchise players walk is "good business" and will lead to a "Re-build" that will work.

There are more examples of teams who went full re-build and it either failed or took much longer than expected than teams who had a full re-build work in a timely fashion.

As I said, the Canucks were committed to the Sedins, letting them walk would've been a horrible hockey and business decision.

That really isn’t necessarily the case, for many reasons.

First, you assume that I’m talking about letting them walk for nothing. You’re taking the worst case scenario. When did we take trading them at last year’s deadline out of the realm of possibility? We’re talking in retrospect right now, obviously, as they were signed in November, so extending them, or letting them walk, are not the only two possibilities.

Second, saying that there are more rebuilds that have failed than rebuilds that have succeeded, isn’t really all that relevant. Looking at the number of declining teams heavily laden with overpriced contracts, trying to re-tool and being successful, and comparing them to full rebuilds is the more apt comparison.

I actually prefer to look at it differently though. Regardless of full rebuild or re-tool, we can look at the players individually. I don’t feel we can be contenders in the next three years, and I don’t think they can be key contributors after that (as they’ll be 37/38, and ready to retire), so I see it as a simple asset management decision. At this point in their career, they’ll never be key contributors to a contending team here, so the smart asset management decision would be to get what you can for them, before that amounts to zero (like has happened to so many teams before).

It’s also rather telling that you refer to one grammatical error as “grammatically horrible”. You’re instead of Your, while quickly typing a post while at work, hardly makes an entire post “grammatically horrible”.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Im fine with paying Hank 7m.

Daniel.......... o god, what an anchor. Would be amazed if he broke 20g. Over a third of a season without a goal when Hank went down, his early season points came from his brother dragging him around the ice.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
The start of a downward slope? Jeez. That ship has long sailed. Statistically the prime of an NHL forwards career is from 26 to 29. And guess what, the last time the Sedins were over a point per game was, 29! Anybody denying that they aren’t declining players is fooling themselves. They’re going on 34 years old (prior to the start of next season). There are typically something like 30 players in the entire NHL older than 35 years of age. So yeah, this is the age where the majority of players go into STEEP decline.

That said, those who cite Torts and injuries (which, by the way, also a product of age), as reasons why they had bad years, aren’t totally offbase either. I think they will probably have a better year than they did last year. But I have my doubts they’ll ever be point per game players again. It’s just unlikely that they regain that form at age 34 or 35. I’d say the most we can hope for are a couple of 70 point players. Which is pretty damn good. In two years though, I think you’ll probably be looking at 50 to 60 point guys. That’s just what happens at 36+ years old.

At age 29 is when Henrik won the Art Ross. Daniel won it the following year at age 30. Henrik was PPG the season after at age 31, Daniel wasn't far behind him. Heck, even when they were 32 years old Henrik was 3 points off from PPG, Daniel was a couple behind that. It wasn't until last years team wide putrid season that these guys really took a nose dive.

It's difficult to take much of your argument seriously when your initial 'evidence' is so far off base. I generally agree with the rest of what you've stated here, although I think the line mate that they're placed with offers a huge variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad