Is This The Most Likeable Sens Team Because of Giroux?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That 2017 playoff team was extremely likeable.

So many guys playing their best hockey (e.g. Ryan, MacArthur, Phaneuf, Methot, Brassard, etc.), coupled with the Karlsson show.

Giroux is definitely likeable and the team right now as a whole is, so it's definitely up there.

The other team I'd throw into the mix is that hilariously entertaining 2005-2006 team with Havlat and Chara still there with the Pizza Line and Hasek in net. Every game was a blast.

The 2006-2007 team where they brought their two-way play to a completely new level in the post season. Comrie in that first round, Volchenkov and Phillips.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That 2017 playoff team was extremely likeable.

So many guys playing their best hockey (e.g. Ryan, MacArthur, Phaneuf, Methot, Brassard, etc.), coupled with the Karlsson show.

Giroux is definitely likeable and the team right now as a whole is, so it's definitely up there.

The other team I'd throw into the mix is that hilariously entertaining 2005-2006 team with Havlat and Chara still there with the Pizza Line and Hasek in net. Every game was a blast.

The 2006-2007 team where they brought their two-way play to a completely new level in the post season. Comrie in that first round, Volchenkov and Phillips.
I agree with this. I've never liked a Senators team as much as the one with Hasek in net. The confidence he gave was unreal.

Honorable mention to one of my favorites in uh oh Joe Corvo's team in 2006-07. Put that team on his back like a boss :sarcasm:

I was a pretty big fan of 2002-03 as well.

Karlsson's tenure was fun, but lots of ups and downs and was the period when things started going sour and Alfie left, etc.
This team is likeable because Melnyk is gone …and because of FYOUS was activated
Hell yes to this. This guy knows whats up. What a breath of fresh air it has been.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was a pretty big fan of 2002-03 as well.

That team was like the Big Red Machine.

Patient and unstoppable. They never surrendered a lead throughout the entire regular season IIRC.

It wasn't so much about personalities as much as a sort of singular unit where everyone played their role to perfection.

The best team the Senators ever put on the ice given their playoff performance and the President's Trophy victory.

Not as much fun to watch as the Pizza Line teams, but the league was a much different place after the crackdown on obstruction. Not to mention, winning is fun, even when playing the trap and scoring off counters.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Patient and unstoppable. They never surrendered a lead throughout the entire regular season IIRC.

It wasn't so much about personalities as much as a sort of singular unit where everyone played their role to perfection.

The best team the Senators ever put on the ice given their playoff performance and the President's Trophy victory.

Not as much fun to watch as the Pizza Line teams, but the league was a much different place after the crackdown on obstruction. Not to mention, winning is fun, even when playing the trap and scoring off counters.
Absolutely a big red machine. IIRC, we had a couple ppg guys in Hoss and Alfie, but the team was defined by just being incredibly deep top to bottom and rolling 4 lines. Four capable centers. That was also when Redden was at the top of his game and we had Rachunek killing it too. Lalime playing his best hockey before confidence started waning.

I was too young and enamoured with the success to even comprehend that I was watching "boring" hockey at the time. Winning is just too much fun. Shame it ended like it did, but that's sports for ya.

Reactions: LiseL and NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was too young and enamoured with the success to even comprehend that I was watching "boring" hockey at the time. Winning is just too much fun. Shame it ended like it did, but that's sports for ya.

Well, "boring" hockey was the only winning hockey Ottawa fans knew about.

What is interesting about the Senators fan journey, is that we had the "terrible but nice to be in the league" teams" graduating to the "starting to win in the regular season but too young or "too European" to win in the playoffs" teams.

It was those veteran-laden (re: expensive) Leafs teams that had to show the Senators how to win in the post-season. Most of those Senators would end up applying that experience elsewhere (e.g. Hossa, Kelly, Chara etc.)

A lot of the arguments made by Leaf fans now (e.g. "the reffing was bad", "they have to ref the way they do in the regular season") are very familiar to Senators fans who had to face that reality then. And it was much worse in those days in terms of what you could get away with. I'm amazed that they don't remember the days when the shoe was on the other foot.

Finally, we put the talent and the grit together for that 2007 Cup run. And they were fun to watch too.

While we didn't have any dominant teams after that, we did get to experience a few fun Cinderella type runs and upsets in the post-season where we felt like the battle-hardened veteran team, like against the Habs, Bruins and Rangers. It was enjoyable to see all of the excuses and hand-wringing on the other side for a change, as they were the favourites and fell short.

Those were teams that didn't necessarily win on talent, but rather on being able to raise their level of play for the post-season. The only team that really had both talent and a playoff mentality was that 2007 team IMO. The 2003 team really just kept playing their dominating regular season style and it was almost enough.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Allowed 20 or fewer shots 21 times in 02-03. Just stifling.

Reactions: NyQuil and bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
But sooooooooo boring.

Everyone hated us, and to be honest It was easy to tune out of a game, or watch while also reading a book, lol. Loved winning though, but that became a given, as did not being able to make any noise in the playoffs where it mattered. Gave us the paper tiger vibe.

2006/07 was an exciting well balanced team with high offence, defence, and goaltending.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Also the "Get it back!" from Karlsson

I mean, he was worth the price of admission alone. He made hockey oh so much fun.

(also - Johnny Oduya? Man I hated that acquisition at the time and it sucked as predicted)

SatisfiedScornfulArrowcrab.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad