Is this the end for Jake Voracek?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The fact that the original release that came out on Friday said that Jake would be available to the media on Monday told me all I needed to know. I think he's going to ride out the LTIR and call it a day. Ultimately it's probably the right move. I don't know his concussion history but I would guess this is it. Even if it gets better, you know it's never completely cured.
My suspicion is that it's more a "we don't know, this might be forever, I'm hoping I'll get better and I'm absolutely wanting to play if that happens, but I don't know, et cetera et cetera". I don't think any commitment to LTIRetirement is being made... but, regrettably, that does strike me as the more likely ultimate outcome. :(

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
My suspicion is that it's more a "we don't know, this might be forever, I'm hoping I'll get better and I'm absolutely wanting to play if that happens, but I don't know, et cetera et cetera". I don't think any commitment to LTIRetirement is being made... but, regrettably, that does strike me as the more likely ultimate outcome. :(
I mean 30 days seems sort of quick to come to that resolution but then again, 30 days of symptoms is never a good sign. Has anyone ever successfully come back after missing 30+ days from concussion symptoms?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I mean 30 days seems sort of quick to come to that resolution but then again, 30 days of symptoms is never a good sign. Has anyone ever successfully come back after missing 30+ days from concussion symptoms?
I dont know about the number of days but Bergeron had 4 concussions relatively early into his NHL career. Who knows how many undiagnosed concussions have happened over the years as the line between toughness and stupidity was blurred

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I dont know about the number of days but Bergeron had 4 concussions relatively early into his NHL career. Who knows how many undiagnosed concussions have happened over the years as the line between toughness and stupidity was blurred
I think Rick Nash only had 3 that we know about. The scary thing is how many players have who don't know about them.

Eric Lindros had 8 and he was just flat out abused during his years in the NHL. As a Devils fan I remember when Scott Stevens flat out leveled him in the playoffs.

Maybe Sidney Crosby is an example but he was much younger when he was getting them and missing a lot of time.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think Rick Nash only had 3 that we know about. The scary thing is how many players have who don't know about them.

Eric Lindros had 8 and he was just flat out abused during his years in the NHL. As a Devils fan I remember when Scott Stevens flat out leveled him in the playoffs.

Maybe Sidney Crosby is an example but he was much younger when he was getting them and missing a lot of time.
I thought about Crosby but wasnt it found that a lot of his injuries were misdiagnosed and actually neck issues causing different symptoms?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can't recall names off the top of my head but want to say "yes, but it's incredibly rare".

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

My impression is that a lot of players have come back from longer periods of symptoms than that. Think of Bo Byram recently.

But there's more gray area for older players. Some of them could mount comebacks if they were hell bent on it but they have to think about long term health too. Some days I'm sure they feel better than others.

I thought about Crosby but wasnt it found that a lot of his injuries were misdiagnosed and actuallythey feel neck issues causing different symptoms?

Lapierre had the same thing.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Matt Calvert *changed his visor color* to help with post-concussion symptoms related to bright lights in arenas. This was many months after whatever concussion #. It was his final year or two with Colorado - just a few years ago.

Not sure it's as cut and dry as "experiencing symptoms all the time for X days."

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Doesnt sound like he is planning on retiring if he can get healthy for next season. Good call considering this season is a throwaway anyways

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Was sort of fearing it could be a retirement conference but this makes more sense, just addressing the rumors and the situation. Still wants to play next year if he can. Sounds like a good thing we have Rick Nash and he was in Finland so he could have a chat with Jake immediately, to confirm taking the safe route is the right way here.

Reactions: CBJx614

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Muzzin is a guy that comes to mind as recently coming back from an extended concussion absence and it hasn't worked out too well for him. He's now officially out with a cervical spine injury and may never play hockey again. Luckily it sounds like Voracek has prioritized his health and his family over hockey.

Reactions: DougKnowsBest

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Couldn't not stop in for this unfortunate news. I met Jake his draft year and he was a great kid. Quickly become one of my favorites (right up there with Vyborny) and I bid a pretty penny on his O'Voracek Jersey. I wore it to a Flyers playoff game (I happened to be in town) and the Philly fans loved it.

While he'll never read these boards, I wish him nothing but health and good fortune. Like so many others have said, I hope he has the strength to hang them up and recover as life only gets more difficult as we age and brain injuries can create so much more.

Best of luck to Jake. Good health, good fortune and good life.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Without Jake, hockey is a little “less” for me. He has been my favorite since drafted. I even followed his career with Philly. I hope things resolve and he plays. Of course, my biggest hope is he gets and stays healthy, regardless of his sports future.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I’ve always liked Voracek and I don’t think he’ll hang’em up until he feels that he can’t contribute. I wish him all the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad