Is this the best season for individual effort since the 90's?

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Not one but TWO players had 100 assists this year? That is so insane to me that a player would have 100 assists, a player, and we got two this year. MacKinnon is 4th in goals with 51, and hes 18 behind the winner Matthews? 18 more goals than this dude who broke the 50 goal mark?

Reinhart potted 57 and Hyman 54, how crazy is that? Ovechkin has 15 seasons with fewer goals than these two, and to me his it he ultimate goal scorer.

J.T Miller had 103 points, one hundred and three points and no one even talks about it because he is #9 on the point totals.

I love hockey so much and i cant wait to see what happens in the playoffs.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yes, I think so. Not only that, but this could give 1993 a run for its money, although probably finishes behind.

It's always a bit hard to place a season historically right away though - I think once we give it 2-3 years we'll have a better sense. ie if 6 other players top 140 points and some more go 70 goals/100 assists in next couple of years, this season will stand out a bit less long-term.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes, I think so. Not only that, but this could give 1993 a run for its money, although probably finishes behind.

It's always a bit hard to place a season historically right away though - I think once we give it 2-3 years we'll have a better sense. ie if 6 other players top 140 points and some more go 70 goals/100 assists in next couple of years, this season will stand out a bit less long-term.

There were two sixty-goal scorers in the 24 years from '97 to '21. There have been three in the past three seasons.

Scoring is up for everyone. A generational goalscorer is leveraging that, as is a generational talent. That other "not" generational talent are doing crazy things does not make it historical, IMO.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Not one but TWO players had 100 assists this year? That is so insane to me that a player would have 100 assists, a player, and we got two this year. MacKinnon is 4th in goals with 51, and hes 18 behind the winner Matthews? 18 more goals than this dude who broke the 50 goal mark?

Reinhart potted 57 and Hyman 54, how crazy is that? Ovechkin has 15 seasons with fewer goals than these two, and to me his it he ultimate goal scorer.

J.T Miller had 103 points, one hundred and three points and no one even talks about it because he is #9 on the point totals.

I love hockey so much and i cant wait to see what happens in the playoffs.
the freedom allowed in front of net now is a forwards dream.
Bossy would have lived this......Pronger would hate it.
Either way it's the main reason scoring is up.
Gonna be a fantastic first round

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

To put 1993 in perspective, I believe there was 21 players with 100+ points and 14 players with 50+ goals. This season was nowhere near that. I would say the first season after the 2005 lockout might be somewhat similar(although this season has a bit more scoring)

ETA: just looking at NHL League Averages | Hockey-Reference.com

Looks like the average amount of goals this year was 3.11 and in 2005/06 it was 3.08. Should be pointed out since the 2005 lockout those would rate 3rd and 4th, both 20/21(3.14) and 21/22(3.18) were slightly higher

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
To put 1993 in perspective, I believe there was 21 players with 100+ points and 14 players with 50+ goals. This season was nowhere near that. I would say the first season after the 2005 lockout might be somewhat similar(although this season has a bit more scoring)
It's not just about the GPG (which is a horrible method of adjusting), but the individual performances within them.

1982 was one of the highest scoring years ever (arguably the highest). Gretzky put up one of the greatest seasons ever. Bossy put up a great season. But nobody would put Stastny's 139 points on a list of greatest seasons ever.

1993 and 1996 were some of the highest scoring years ever and[i/] included multiple great performances.

2001 was a low scoring year, but Sakic and Jagr are acknowledged as having legendary seasons.

2015 was one of the lowest scoring years ever and did not have any good forward performances. 2014 and 2016 were nearly identical scoring environments, but Crosby 2014 and Kane 2016 are rightfully acknowledged as great.

2024 is very similar to 2022 and 2023 in scoring, but we can see that Kucherov 2024 and MacKinnon 2024 are better than any season in 2022 and 2023 except McDavid 2023.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden

This is an underrated comment, the league has definietly changed pretty quickly with save %s going down every single year and before that the bigger change was that more infractions were getting called.
There is no denying that its been a special season based on the previous couple decades but its not impossible that the trend continues and that its more the norm going forward that theres a couple players every year hitting 120 or even 130+ points.
Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad