Is this shaping up to be the best NHL Awards season in recent memory?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He's the only player in the league that every coach and top player will admit to completely gameplanning around, shadowing, and focusing everyone into neutralizing HIM specifically while on the ice. He plays the toughest comp in the entire league while leading the entire league in points, while playing 5 on 5 hockey without Draisaitl. With Hyman and Puljujarvi.

Just curious, so if this happens in the regular season and McDavid still leads in scoring, that is a sign of his greatness. When it happens in the playoffs and McDavid's production goes down is it fair to critique him?

Reactions: thaman8765678

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Gonna be great to have Wild Bill storm out of nowhere and take the Rocket.... dreams are still free right?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is like the Oscars folks. Tsn is already buying ads and buying Matthews participation hart award lol.

What a mockery if he wins. So many guys that are more deserving

This take is just as bad as the Leafs homerism. Matthews is having a dominant season offensively and defensively. He is a definite favorite, especially if he can wrap up the Rocket.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
I think what makes it special is how we have strong seasons in every position. Victor Hedman may be having the best year of his career but isn't even a consideration for Norris with Makar and Josi torching the league. Shesterkin is having arguably the best goaltending season since Hasek, at forwards you have Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Gaudreau etc. all in the Hart contention too with strong years.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
You'd have to be bored of McDavid winning to pick someone like Matthews or Gaudreau over him.

He dominates all of them in offensive stats, dominates them in point share vs his teammates, etc. Losing McDavid on ANY team is the biggest loss of offensive contribution you can possibly have.

He is the MVP of the league because losing him leaves you with the biggest hole you can possibly have. Even with Draisaitl on the team (which is a piss poor argument), you still lose the most offensive production with him gone vs anyone else.

Shesterkin over Goergiev is not a wider gap in wins than losing McDavid is.

Gaudreau plays on the team with the best goal differential in the west, not to mention have scored the 3rd most goals. He's on the deepest team offensively at the moment. One of them anyway.

McDavid will be the most valuable player in the league until teams start gameplanning their entire strategy on shutting someone else down besides him.

He's the only player in the league that every coach and top player will admit to completely gameplanning around, shadowing, and focusing everyone into neutralizing HIM specifically while on the ice. He plays the toughest comp in the entire league while leading the entire league in points, while playing 5 on 5 hockey without Draisaitl. With Hyman and Puljujarvi.

Think about it rationally. It's not close.
Yawn.. you are right, I am 'bored' of him winning, because he probably doesn't deserve it this year.

He has not dominated the in the offfensive stats - 98pts for McDavid, 90 for Gaudreau, Mathews is at 85, but he has 49 goals and counting to McDavid's 36.

Take out Mathews and Gaudreau from their respective teams, and you will also remove the biggest offensive production from the team - their linemates will suffer and have a harder time scoring too. You can't ignore Draisaitl and call it a poor argument when every other team in the NHL can probably make a similar argument.

I don't know but I think if NYR had lost Shesterkin for a lengthy time, that they wouldn't be firmly entrenched in the 'contender' ledger. That kid has stood on his head on many nights.

Gaudreau plays on the team with the best goal differential - lol. This is probably your single worst argument in your post. Go and look up Gaudreau's sparkling EV points and +/-, and tell me again that he is simply benefiting from playing on the Flames. Outside of Sutter getting this team to buy-into his system (and having an actual good system), I would argue that it is BECAUSE of Gaudreau and his 2-way play that the Flames have the 2nd best goal differential in the league - he has been fantastic defensively, and when guys see the start player working hard in all the zones, they end up working harder as well. I wonder why McDavid doesn't considering he is bigger, faster, stronger and wayyyy better than anyone else. You make it sound like Gaudreau is simply a passenger, and if you believe so, then it is because you simply have been stat watching and nothing else - not even taking a dive into his advanced metrics. That line is crazy good at EV and Gaudreau right up until the Oilers' game was leading the team - wait, not just the team, but leading the league in +/-. You are writing him off as just being a passenger which couldn't be further from the truth. Gaudreau's role has been ENORMOUS in Calgary's play in all zones this year.

Sure, teams have to plan to shut him down... but do you really believe for even a single second that teams don't bother to make a gameplan on how to shut down other players around the league? Nobdoy looks at Mathews and says: "Well, he scored 49 goals so far, but we don't have to worry about him", or Gaudreau "Well, he has been killing teams 5on5, but he is small and we don't need to pay attention to him". Every star player in this league has the other team talking about him and finding ways to shut him down. Sure, McDavid is the biggest offensive talent in the world right now, and rightfully deserves 'extra' attention maybe, but let's not pretend that he is the ONLY player in the NHL to get attention here. LoL Come on. Yes, I will agree that McDavid is the most valuable player in the NHL - nobody is arguing that.

"It's not close" - sorry, but not only is it not close, but I don't think he is the favourite. I think Mathews and Gaudreau should be ahead of him. I think Shesterkin should be ahead of him as well, but Shesterkin has faltered a bit lately and will probably not end up playing enough games. I think JOSI is way ahead of McDavid and is a deserving winner himself. Heck, I will even through Makar's name into the ring over McDavid right now. McDavid continues to be a one trick pony again - all offence. I was expecting him to start becoming the complete player that Crosby evolved to (and quickly in Crosby's case), but that simply hasn't happened, and I don't think there is really much talk at all about McDavid being considered for the Hart even though he is the leading point-getter in the NHL. It isn't the first time that an Art Ross winner doesn't get the Hart, and it certainly won't be the last, and nobody outside of Edmonton will think there was some sort of an irrational and unfair decision being made.

Reactions: thaman8765678

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You'd have to be bored of McDavid winning to pick someone like Matthews or Gaudreau over him.

He dominates all of them in offensive stats, dominates them in point share vs his teammates, etc. Losing McDavid on ANY team is the biggest loss of offensive contribution you can possibly have.

He is the MVP of the league because losing him leaves you with the biggest hole you can possibly have. Even with Draisaitl on the team (which is a piss poor argument), you still lose the most offensive production with him gone vs anyone else.

Shesterkin over Goergiev is not a wider gap in wins than losing McDavid is.

Gaudreau plays on the team with the best goal differential in the west, not to mention have scored the 3rd most goals. He's on the deepest team offensively at the moment. One of them anyway.

McDavid will be the most valuable player in the league until teams start gameplanning their entire strategy on shutting someone else down besides him.

Think about it rationally. It's not close.
Gaudreau is +49 at 5v5
The Flames in total are +48 at 5v5 (meaning they are -1 without him)

So you could say that Gaudreau is the single biggest reason for why the Flames have the best goal differential in the west...

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
It really isn't shaping up to be the best award season.

By all accounts Matthews is set to sweep the awards......because he is really good at scoring goals in Toronto.

I hate the Flames and Johnny is having a better season than the Mr. Mathews.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Yeah, so I think Shesterkin will get it, regardless of Georgiev being his backup.
Carolina has allowed 13 fewer goals through 67 games, Calgary has allowed 12 fewer in 66 games. Might not seem like a lot, but that's a fair bit of ground for the Rangers to cover in goals against, especially when Georgiev is allowing 3 or 4 a night.

Reactions: Voight

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Carolina has allowed 13 fewer goals through 67 games, Calgary has allowed 12 fewer in 66 games. Might not seem like a lot, but that's a fair bit of ground for the Rangers to cover in goals against, especially when Georgiev is allowing 3 or 4 a night.
Yes, but it's Shesterkin's GAA that matters?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I just watched tsn and seen the guys say Matthews is the leader. I honestly don't know how they come to that conclusion personally. I think he is one of the best players, but not MVP this year
TSN is all about Matthews and the Leafs. Ofcourse they will say that. Great player but I don't see him actually winning the Hart

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Whats going on in these charts. Why does Matthews lines have a huge range while McDavids are virtually the same? Because he missed some games?

The bottom lines (pace) for McDavid he has the same pts, higher off number, higher def number, but his GSVA goes down?

Okay dom...

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Yawn.. you are right, I am 'bored' of him winning, because he probably doesn't deserve it this year.

He has not dominated the in the offfensive stats - 98pts for McDavid, 90 for Gaudreau, Mathews is at 85, but he has 49 goals and counting to McDavid's 36.

Take out Mathews and Gaudreau from their respective teams, and you will also remove the biggest offensive production from the team - their linemates will suffer and have a harder time scoring too. You can't ignore Draisaitl and call it a poor argument when every other team in the NHL can probably make a similar argument.

I don't know but I think if NYR had lost Shesterkin for a lengthy time, that they wouldn't be firmly entrenched in the 'contender' ledger. That kid has stood on his head on many nights.

Gaudreau plays on the team with the best goal differential - lol. This is probably your single worst argument in your post. Go and look up Gaudreau's sparkling EV points and +/-, and tell me again that he is simply benefiting from playing on the Flames. Outside of Sutter getting this team to buy-into his system (and having an actual good system), I would argue that it is BECAUSE of Gaudreau and his 2-way play that the Flames have the 2nd best goal differential in the league - he has been fantastic defensively, and when guys see the start player working hard in all the zones, they end up working harder as well. I wonder why McDavid doesn't considering he is bigger, faster, stronger and wayyyy better than anyone else. You make it sound like Gaudreau is simply a passenger, and if you believe so, then it is because you simply have been stat watching and nothing else - not even taking a dive into his advanced metrics. That line is crazy good at EV and Gaudreau right up until the Oilers' game was leading the team - wait, not just the team, but leading the league in +/-. You are writing him off as just being a passenger which couldn't be further from the truth. Gaudreau's role has been ENORMOUS in Calgary's play in all zones this year.

Sure, teams have to plan to shut him down... but do you really believe for even a single second that teams don't bother to make a gameplan on how to shut down other players around the league? Nobdoy looks at Mathews and says: "Well, he scored 49 goals so far, but we don't have to worry about him", or Gaudreau "Well, he has been killing teams 5on5, but he is small and we don't need to pay attention to him". Every star player in this league has the other team talking about him and finding ways to shut him down. Sure, McDavid is the biggest offensive talent in the world right now, and rightfully deserves 'extra' attention maybe, but let's not pretend that he is the ONLY player in the NHL to get attention here. LoL Come on. Yes, I will agree that McDavid is the most valuable player in the NHL - nobody is arguing that.

"It's not close" - sorry, but not only is it not close, but I don't think he is the favourite. I think Mathews and Gaudreau should be ahead of him. I think Shesterkin should be ahead of him as well, but Shesterkin has faltered a bit lately and will probably not end up playing enough games. I think JOSI is way ahead of McDavid and is a deserving winner himself. Heck, I will even through Makar's name into the ring over McDavid right now. McDavid continues to be a one trick pony again - all offence. I was expecting him to start becoming the complete player that Crosby evolved to (and quickly in Crosby's case), but that simply hasn't happened, and I don't think there is really much talk at all about McDavid being considered for the Hart even though he is the leading point-getter in the NHL. It isn't the first time that an Art Ross winner doesn't get the Hart, and it certainly won't be the last, and nobody outside of Edmonton will think there was some sort of an irrational and unfair decision being made.
Long post with a ton of bias from someone who thinks he’s speaking in facts lmao. What was Johnny like before Sutter put Lindholm and Tkachuk with him? And what was Matthews like before Marner?

McDavid has made putting up points become so video game like people are finding everything they can to discredit him yet not a single objective mind wouldn’t take him on their team in a heartbeat over guys like AM or Gaudreau (lmao)

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Gaudreau is +49 at 5v5
The Flames in total are +48 at 5v5 (meaning they are -1 without him)

So you could say that Gaudreau is the single biggest reason for why the Flames have the best goal differential in the west...
His linemates Lindholm and Tkachuk are also +49 and +42. Seems like the entire line is the biggest reason Moreso than Gaudreau himself. Even if he is the best player of the 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad