Is this shaping up to be the best NHL Awards season in recent memory?

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I dunno. When Shestorkin (?) gets his Vezina, it will be a weird situation (and it will be known throughout the sports world...) that the NHL gives prizes to people from a country that has invaded another, which ofc will be used in his home country as propoganda (b/c sports in Russia is politics).

Wrongfully though, in a way, since hes been the best goalie this year. Tricky situation, but it can only go wrong :/

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
McDavid should not win.

It has to be Shesterkin or Gaudreau.

McDavid and Draisatl benefit from the power play together. Neither dominate 5v5 like Gaudreau.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
McDavid should not win.

McDavid and Draisatl benefit from the power play together. Neither dominate 5v5 like Gaudreau.

Why should this matter or disqualify someone? I think Shesterkin has the Vezina pretty much locked down at this point, but his play has fallen off a little bit of late and it should really take a special season from a goalie AND a down season from skaters for a goalie to win. He's having a very good season, but I can't see him winning the Hart, there's too many guys having excellent season. Gaudreau will be a finalist and should have a shot at winning it if he can keep his pace up over the rest of the season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
His linemates Lindholm and Tkachuk are also +49 and +42. Seems like the entire line is the biggest reason Moreso than Gaudreau himself. Even if he is the best player of the 3.
They are not. At 5v5 Lindholm is +40; and Tkachuk +45.

Furthermore, why do you think Tkachuk and Lindholm are having the seasons that they are?

They played together without Gaudreau for the first 40 games of 2021 and had a combined 31 5v5 points. Since getting Gaudreau on their line they have 109 5v5 points in 82 games.

Last edited:

Garrison

Mar 31, 2022
I dont understand how people can put Matthews over McDavid. Matthews doesnt even beat Draisaitl in alot of categories like GWG. +-, Sh Goals, Assists, PK minutes and so on, so how can he better than Drais teammate who is considered the better player of the two?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
McDavid should not win.

Gaudreau is definitely having the luckiest season of his career. Its still not enough though.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I dont understand how people can put Matthews over McDavid. Matthews doesnt even beat Draisaitl in alot of categories like GWG. +-, Sh Goals, Assists, PK minutes and so on, so how can he better than Drais teammate who is considered the better player of the two?

I think partially it's the debate over what criteria we each use to determine the "most valuable player". Some simply say give it to the best player, others that it should literally be the most valuable to his team.

Gaudreau is not as good as McDavid, but it's tough to argue he's less valuable to his team. And what muddies the waters is when you've got an elite 1-2 like McDavid and Draisaitl if you're going for the most valuable to his team approach.

This year, most valuable to his team probably includes Shesterkin, Matthews, Gaudreau. Best player, period, will likely lean the Oilers stars. And others who try to balance the two approaches will probably help make the voting this year extremely close.

Personally, I think Matthews all-around play and his clear impact on games puts him a tiny bit above the others as "most valuable to his team." It also helps that many feel he's closed the gap on Connor for the best player in the game. Hitting 60 this year would certainly help his case for both arguments.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Long post with a ton of bias from someone who thinks he’s speaking in facts lmao. What was Johnny like before Sutter put Lindholm and Tkachuk with him? And what was Matthews like before Marner?

McDavid has made putting up points become so video game like people are finding everything they can to discredit him yet not a single objective mind wouldn’t take him on their team in a heartbeat over guys like AM or Gaudreau (lmao)
Stopped reading here. Your post was exactly the same - I at least showed evidence. You show feelings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad