OT: Is this Bomber team the best ever?

Is this Bomber team the best ever?

• Total voters

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I say no, overall quality of the CFL is way down!
I disagree. Talent around the league is as good as many other years “normal” years. In fact I think your are flat out wrong.

there are years where QB and Oline talent was better but there have also been years where there even worse!

I get it, it is you just being you.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
My vote for the greatest Bomber team was the Bud Grant coaching era, when Kenny Pleon was quarterback. I think ( by rough memory) this was the era between 1959 to 1965 where they won 4-5 Grey Cups. My vote would have to go to that team.

This team is very good though, but quite a ways to go in my opinion, to catch the early 60's Bud Grant team. They were a CFL dynasty team.
Which team though? Which year with what roster?

Reactions: GNP

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Prior to tonight, the Bombers were giving up 12.6 points per game, the lowest since Hamilton gave up 11.8 in 1966. The Bombers are now giving up 11.45

I've been watching the Bombers since 1971. This is my 50th season. So far this year, this is the best team I've ever seen in the CFL, and that includes the Eskimos teams that won five straight Grey Cups from 1978 to 1982.[/QUOTE]

I kinda agree as this is an extremely talented team however I think they will need to win a couple more cups to make that comparison. In the late 70's and early 80's I think the level of competition for those Esk's teams was higher however it was also much easier to keep a great team together longer. In today's CFL I think it is difficult to keep a strong team together so having a multi-year championship team is harder now with the lure of the huge NFL paychecks being so strong for the top tier players. I believe that 40 years ago the pay gap between CFL and NFL wasn't so massive as today.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Which team though? Which year with what roster?

I can only go by memory from when I was a very young kid, but I knew most of the players well. If your asking what team and roster -- I'm referring to the 1959 -1965 Bombers coached by Bud Grant, and assistant coach - Johnny Michaels. Bud Grant was later recruited by the NFL, and went on to coach the Minnesota Vikings, and lead them to 4 Superbowl appearances, but they never won.

The 1959 -65 Bomber roster - was basically Kenny Pleon at QB, Leo Lewis at running back ( great)and Jerry James (RB). Farrel Funston and Ernie Pitts at receiver, and Ken Nielsen.(slot receiver) Had guards like Herbie Grey, Cornell Piper, Guy Warren etc.

Some guys on the defence were Roger Savoy ( Winnipeg guy) Frank Rigney, Dick Thornton, and some others. Can't remember all names ?

Note - Most of the above roster basically stayed the same . except the odd changes etc.

I should also add the 1980's team coached by Cal Murphy was great too, and they had Tom Clements at quarterback, Joe Poplowski, ( receiver) Chris Walby and others, on the offensive side. Don't know most of the defensive guys, as I worked long hours, and never followed the team closely in that time period, but they were very good. I don't know the period in the 1980's though -- but I think around 1984 ish ??

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I say no, overall quality of the CFL is way down!

I have to agree with you Sip, and that's likely because the CFL in the 1960s and earlier, payed more or equal to that of the NFL, and attracted the top talent. That's not to say we don't have very talented guys now in the CFL, because we have some great ones. Many guys that played in the CFL went on to star in the NFL - Joe Theisman, Warren Moon, and Jeff Garcia to name a couple. Many others as well.

Todays CFL doesn't pay anywhere near what the NFL pays, and I think that has a lot to do with the decline the CFL has suffered. Somehow people want to see the best in the world, and they perceive the NFL to be of that calibre, and they do not perceive the CFL in the same light.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
To say you have to win the cup to be the best team is a point of view I can respect but don't necessarily agree with when it comes to one and done playoff systems
I look at the teams Mitchell has had with the Stamps. Based on the regular season results they have been a dynasty. But they are losers in the playoffs so screw em, they are just a good team for a long time.

I have to see my own team the same way. To have a team like this and the results they have achieved so far anything less then a Grey Cup they are a disappointment. No one is playing for a good regular season. There isn’t even a trophy for being 1st place in the regular season. There is one goal in the CFL and that is the Grey Cup.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Hard for me to judge because I have a hard time judging the rest of the league. Are the Bombers that good or is the rest of the league that mediocre? All things being equal, this may be one of the greatest teams of all time (even without a Warren Moon/Doug Flutie kind of guy at quarterback, although Collaros reminds me of Tom Clements in his prime).

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Its probably a generational thing, but I still think of that 84 team as the best I've seen. There was no weaknesses on that team as I recall.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Great column from Cauz on CFL.ca. He breaks down how incredibly good the Bombers were last weekend against BC.

If the Bombers go on to win their back to back Grey Cups, this years version of the Bombers may or may not be the best ever but at the very lease they are the best Bomber team since the 1960s.

Edit: Correct the word "with " to what it was suppose to be "win"

Cauz: Some late-season flowers for the Bombers - CFL.ca

Last edited:

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Its probably a generational thing, but I still think of that 84 team as the best I've seen. There was no weaknesses on that team as I recall.
There is no weak spot on this team either. Its pretty incredible. Best o-line, best d-line, best secondary, great receivers, linebackers, Collaros runaway MOP, etc. I cant think of a single spot that needs an upgrade. Fun times!

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
There is no weak spot on this team either. Its pretty incredible. Best o-line, best d-line, best secondary, great receivers, linebackers, Collaros runaway MOP, etc. I cant think of a single spot that needs an upgrade. Fun times!
We still haven't seen how the kicking game is going to work out, so perhaps there.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
You're right, there were no notable weaknesses on that team.

However, despite this, don't forget they finished 2nd, not 1st, in the Western Division, two points behind the Lions. Also, their defensive stats were worse than the Lions, and they gave up an average of 19.3 points per game, which is still good, but my God man, this year's team is giving up 11.4!

I have incredibly warm memories of the 1984 team too, as it was the first Grey Cup win I experienced (I was three years old the previous time they won), and that was a great, great team, but there is really nothing to compare with the absolute, over-the-top dominance this year's team has shown so far.

Reactions: GNP and Channelcat

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I can only go by memory from when I was a very young kid, but I knew most of the players well. If your asking what team and roster -- I'm referring to the 1959 -1965 Bombers coached by Bud Grant, and assistant coach - Johnny Michaels. Bud Grant was later recruited by the NFL, and went on to coach the Minnesota Vikings, and lead them to 4 Superbowl appearances, but they never won.

The 1959 -65 Bomber roster - was basically Kenny Pleon at QB, Leo Lewis at running back ( great)and Jerry James (RB). Farrel Funston and Ernie Pitts at receiver, and Ken Nielsen.(slot receiver) Had guards like Herbie Grey, Cornell Piper, Guy Warren etc.

Some guys on the defence were Roger Savoy ( Winnipeg guy) Frank Rigney, Dick Thornton, and some others. Can't remember all names ?

Note - Most of the above roster basically stayed the same . except the odd changes etc.

I should also add the 1980's team coached by Cal Murphy was great too, and they had Tom Clements at quarterback, Joe Poplowski, ( receiver) Chris Walby and others, on the offensive side. Don't know most of the defensive guys, as I worked long hours, and never followed the team closely in that time period, but they were very good. I don't know the period in the 1980's though -- but I think around 1984 ish ??
80's D featured James West, Tyrone Jones, Rod Hill. All very very good players. Would still say this years D is light years better.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
No question this year's team is among the all-time great Winnipeg teams, but I wonder if COVID has helped to mess up some of the other teams and reduce parity across the league. The Bombers probably had an easier time than other teams when it comes to retaining its players and staff.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
80's D featured James West, Tyrone Jones, Rod Hill. All very very good players. Would still say this years D is light years better.
Light years? That’s a bit hyperbolic. I’ve seen both, the Bombers D between 83-90 was dominant and also included players like Greg Battle, Mike Gray, Darryl Sampson, Ken Hailey.

This years Bombers D is as dominant as I’ve seen but hardly light years ahead of those defenses. 3 of those teams won Grey Cups, let’s hope this one finishes the deal.

Reactions: kanadalainen

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Light years? That’s a bit hyperbolic. I’ve seen both, the Bombers D between 83-90 was dominant and also included players like Greg Battle, Mike Gray, Darryl Sampson, Ken Hailey.

This years Bombers D is as dominant as I’ve seen but hardly light years ahead of those defenses. 3 of those teams won Grey Cups, let’s hope this one finishes the deal.
Like you, I've seen both the 80's D and this years, and while light years may be stretching it, I would say that this year's D is without question a better D than those of the 80's.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Nice. The last time the Bombers finished first in the West and had the guaranteed West final at home was... 50 years ago.

49 years ago, no? The Bombers won the West in 1972 with a 10-6 record but then lost to the Roughriders in the Western Final with their 8-8 record.

"This game was especially notable for its final play. The game was tied and Saskatchewan attempted a last-second field goal to win, or at least score a single. The kick missed wide, and was recovered by Winnipeg in the end zone. As they were unable to run it out, they punted. The Saskatchewan player who fielded the punt attempted to score a single (winning the game) by punting it through the end zone again, but was unsuccessful, and the punt was fielded by Winnipeg, who punted it out again. The Saskatchewan returner was tackled, ending the play and presumably the game, but a Winnipeg penalty negated the play and gave Saskatchewan another chance. The second Saskatchewan field goal attempt, with no time on the clock, was successful." - Wikipedia.

The Bombers finished third in 1971.

That said, I'm painfully aware of the possibility of the Bombers dropping a deuce in either the West Final or the GC itself a la the 1989 Eskimos, the 2001 Bombers, or, if we're being candid, the 2019 TiCats.

m.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
What makes them successful is continuity

Oline brought back all five staters and both backups. This goes for alot of time position groups.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
49 years ago, no? The Bombers won the West in 1972 with a 10-6 record but then lost to the Roughriders in the Western Final with their 8-8 record.

"This game was especially notable for its final play. The game was tied and Saskatchewan attempted a last-second field goal to win, or at least score a single. The kick missed wide, and was recovered by Winnipeg in the end zone. As they were unable to run it out, they punted. The Saskatchewan player who fielded the punt attempted to score a single (winning the game) by punting it through the end zone again, but was unsuccessful, and the punt was fielded by Winnipeg, who punted it out again. The Saskatchewan returner was tackled, ending the play and presumably the game, but a Winnipeg penalty negated the play and gave Saskatchewan another chance. The second Saskatchewan field goal attempt, with no time on the clock, was successful." - Wikipedia.

The Bombers finished third in 1971.

That said, I'm painfully aware of the possibility of the Bombers dropping a deuce in either the West Final or the GC itself a la the 1989 Eskimos, the 2001 Bombers, or, if we're being candid, the 2019 TiCats.

m.
I was at that game. I was 13 years old, at at that time it was the worst thing I had ever experienced. To this day, it's my most painful sports memory.

I have many intense, painful memories of that day. I was sitting in the Salisbury House Kids' Zone (west side, south end) and for the playoff game they'd doubled the ticket prices, from $1 to $2, but I went anyway.

At the end of the game the Riders cheerleaders (they came with the team) walked past our zone and yelled insults and obscenities at us that I'd never heard before (remember, I was young). A bunch of grown women trash talking children. That was the day I learned to hate the Riders and their fans, and why I enjoyed it so much when in later years the Riders lost the Grey Cup with their too many men call, and also when we beat them in the 2019 Western Final as their final pass hit the crossbar. The arc of time is slow, but it moves towards justice. Also, karma is a bitch.

And it was a bullshit call by the refs in 1972.

Reactions: scelaton

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2