Olympics: Is this an authentic Team Canada item?

SzabadosSavesTheDay

Feb 28, 2014
I'm thinking of buying this Team Canada poster from Ebay, but can I please ask for your opinion regarding the authenticity?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-CANADA-...837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item417d8c5fed

It's a poster of the Canada women's Olympic hockey team. Obviously, you don't have to be familiar with the autographs. (I am only familiar with four of those players' autographs myself.) However, can you comment based on whether this looks like an official Team Canada item and not some Photoshopped poster? This seller, 780finallap, sells lots of hockey autographs so based on his store, do you think he is a credible seller?

And yes, I am aware that the autographs would be just reprints, but I want them to be reprints of real autographs, and I want this to be an official Team Canada item.

Thanks for your thorough help!

EDIT: This seller has a Canada MEN'S hockey team poster as well: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-Mens-Te...0066?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item417d479f42 Buyer beware!

Last edited:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I'm thinking of buying this Team Canada poster from Ebay, but can I please ask for your opinion regarding the authenticity?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-CANADA-...837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item417d8c5fed

It's a poster of the Canada women's Olympic hockey team. Obviously, you don't have to be familiar with the autographs. (I am only familiar with four of those players' autographs myself.) However, can you comment based on whether this looks like an official Team Canada item and not some Photoshopped poster? This seller, 780finallap, sells lots of hockey autographs so based on his store, do you think he is a credible seller?

And yes, I am aware that the autographs would be just reprints, but I want them to be reprints of real autographs, and I want this to be an official Team Canada item.

Thanks for your thorough help!

No idea. Not sure if anyone here will know. Buyer beware. :)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Is that a no, not real?

It is only $20. Even if it is fake... are you really going to lose sleep over $20? :)

Edit:

It is ~$36 with shipping. To me, it is not worth it - but I am a minimalist and not fussy on "stuff".

Last edited by a moderator:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This is definitely not produced by Hockey Canada or the COC or IOC... and here comes my inner pawnstar....

The logos.

1. I've never seen the Canadian Olympic Committee logo printed without a white background. I'm pretty sure it would be in their visual identity standards to have it, as it looks like #### without.

2. If I was Hockey Canada designing this print, all 3 logos would be somewhere in the bottom half on the white section of the poster, not on top of the picture. Makes them more noticable.

3. If Hockey Canada produced the print, they would not have permission to use the Sochi Logo. If the IOC produced the print, they would not use the Hockey Canada logo. If the COC produced the print, it's doubtful they would've used both logos, and butchered their own.

SzabadosSavesTheDay

Feb 28, 2014
It is only $20. Even if it is fake... are you really going to lose sleep over $20? :)

Edit:

It is ~$36 with shipping. To me, it is not worth it - but I am a minimalist and not fussy on "stuff".

No, I wouldn't lose sleep over $20 + shipping, but it would bother me that I supported someone who faked a Hockey Canada poster. You're right - not worth it. I also wanted to make sure the autographs were reprints of REAL autographs.

SzabadosSavesTheDay

Feb 28, 2014
This is definitely not produced by Hockey Canada or the COC or IOC... and here comes my inner pawnstar....

The logos.

1. I've never seen the Canadian Olympic Committee logo printed without a white background. I'm pretty sure it would be in their visual identity standards to have it, as it looks like #### without.

2. If I was Hockey Canada designing this print, all 3 logos would be somewhere in the bottom half on the white section of the poster, not on top of the picture. Makes them more noticable.

3. If Hockey Canada produced the print, they would not have permission to use the Sochi Logo. If the IOC produced the print, they would not use the Hockey Canada logo. If the COC produced the print, it's doubtful they would've used both logos, and butchered their own.

You've definitely been the most thorough one here in terms of giving me an explanation. Thank you! Great job at pointing out the Canadian Olympic Committee logo. I had to google it to know what you were talking about (about the white background). Your point #3 is well thought out as well and worded in an very entertaining way ("used both logos and butchered their own"). LOL... Did the poster look fake to you from the start (first impression) or did it take you some analyzing to figure out it wasn't real? Just curious how obvious it was. The OBSESSED women's hockey fan in me wanted to jump right ahead and buy the poster and I didn't question the authenticity of it until I saw the autographs and started asking questions, and that made me question everything else as well. I am glad I got your input.

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed reading all your responses.

Last edited:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

No, I wouldn't lose sleep over $20 + shipping, but it would bother me that I supported someone who faked a Hockey Canada poster. You're right - not worth it. I also wanted to make sure the autographs were reprints of REAL autographs.

Story: I have an autographed pennant of ALL the Cincinnati Bengals Superbowl team - when they lost to the 49ers (1982). If the Bengals had won, it would be worth a small fortune. They lost and... well... I am not sure I could get...

Anyway, you never know what this stuff is worth or if anyone will buy it. I agree, you should pass. :)

SzabadosSavesTheDay

Feb 28, 2014
I'm sorry to hear that, KevyD. It always sucks when a team you like loses. :)

Oh, and I found a Canada MEN'S hockey team poster from this same seller's store: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-Mens-Te...0066?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item417d479f42

Same thing: butchered logo without white border, and basically the same points that seanlinden made. I've edited my OP so everybody is aware as I'm sure there'll be plenty more people more interested in the men's poster than the women's (although I'm the opposite).

I wonder if the autographs were outright forged or if they were just copied and pasted from who-knows-where? But the point is, fake poster is fake poster.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I'm sorry to hear that, KevyD. It always sucks when a team you like loses. :)

Oh, and I found a Canada MEN'S hockey team poster from this same seller's store: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-Mens-Te...0066?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item417d479f42

Same thing: butchered logo without white border, and basically the same points that seanlinden made. I've edited my OP so everybody is aware as I'm sure there'll be plenty more people more interested in the men's poster than the women's (although I'm the opposite).

I wonder if the autographs were outright forged or if they were just copied and pasted from who-knows-where? But the point is, fake poster is fake poster.

Save your money, my friend. :)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Story: I have an autographed pennant of ALL the Cincinnati Bengals Superbowl team - when they lost to the 49ers (1982). If the Bengals had won, it would be worth a small fortune. They lost and... well... I am not sure I could get...

An update...

This thread made me ask myself... What is my pennant worth? So I wrote a professional. He said the pennant is worth up to $300 but it will cost $150 to get it authenticated.

So... if a 33 year old autographed pennant from a SuperBowl team is ONLY worth $300, is it really worth the time, money and effort to collect this kind of junk. I think not. Take your gf out for a nice dinner instead. :)

SzabadosSavesTheDay

Feb 28, 2014
lol one can surely photoshop in real autograph reprints into a fake item.

But it wouldn't be like someone just taking a pen and making up what that person's autograph looks like when he has no idea. Reprints of real autographs have to be better than outright forgeries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad