Is this a suspension ?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Very hard to say with that kind of video, needs more angles and slo-mo.

It's pretty much impossible to say whether his ellbow was out or only came up after contact, just like you can't really see the principal point of contact.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Does he have a history of suspensions/disciplinary action?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Maybe a charge, maybe an elbow. Tough to tell.

On first glance it looked like one hell of a hard, clean hit to me though.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Oh come on, it's not like one player is three feet taller than the other. If an opponent is smaller than you, you adjust yourself to hit him a bit lower, that's not a problem at all. If you aren't capable of hitting the opponent properly, you shouldn't hit him at all.

No, that wasn't directed at this hit, but on the size-argument, which usually is rubbish, barring Zdeno Chara hitting Nathan Gerbe...

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
apparently in the Q it is...Pier-Luc Pelletier with a HUGE hit on Peter Sakaris and now he's suspended indefinetly by the league. What you think ?

Yes...an obvious charge followed up with an equally obvious elbow to the head.

I will never understand why some of you folks equivocate over these kind of hits.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
It's hard to tell exactly how he hit him with just that one shot, but from what I see I don't think it's suspension worthy (although I don't know the Q's rule on head shots). Once again, if the guy with the puck has his head up and is aware of his surroundings that play never takes place.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Yes...an obvious charge followed up with an equally obvious elbow to the head.

I will never understand why some of you folks equivocate over these kind of hits.

obvious elbow ? wow you have good eyes to see this in this video...because i can't be 100% sure if their's an elbow or not there. maybe on the follow up ? Even fans/media who were at the game called that hit legal.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
apparently in the Q it is...Pier-Luc Pelletier with a HUGE hit on Peter Sakaris and now he's suspended indefinetly by the league. What you think ?

In the Q, any hit made with what the ref deems to be excessive force is charging. They've opened the door for all big hits to be charges.

Besides that, it looks like Pelletier follows through Sakaris' head on the hit.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
obvious elbow ? wow you have good eyes to see this in this video...because i can't be 100% sure if their's an elbow or not there. maybe on the follow up ? Even fans/media who were at the game called that hit legal.

Case in point...

See that pointy thing coming out of his shoulder with no glove on it that follows through on the other player's head?

That's called an "elbow".

Ou coude, s'll vous plait...

If you have any other questions refer back to my statement: I will never understand why some of you folks equivocate over these kind of hits.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
To me it seems like he got the arm along side his body -- you cannot keep your elbow "more" down than that if you get what I mean.

The player basically has the puck on his stick.

The hit is hard, but is that illigal now?

I think this is a very very very hard hit to judge. Lets not fool ourselvs here, you make that hit to -- maybe not hurt someone -- but at the least keep their heads up in the future. Thats a part of the game IMHO.

And this "follow through" talk. Jesus, Id like to see anyone controll their arms after they just run into someone at full speed on a hockey rink.

I would NOT suspend him.

Suspend the player making the pass instead in that instance if anything. Because thats whats to fault in the end with that hit, that ambulance pass...

Eamonn*

It looked like a charge with the elbow making contact with the head.

nycbruins*

Elbow was down during the hit, came up on the follow through.
Any hard hit being called a charge is a crappy precedent to set for hockey. Used to have to be making full strides before contact to get called for it, not gliding into a player as seen here.

Don't know why you post so conclusively when you don't know what you're talking about.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Elbow was down during the hit, came up on the follow through.
Any hard hit being called a charge is a crappy precedent to set for hockey. Used to have to be making full strides before contact to get called for it, not gliding into a player as seen here.

Don't know why you post so conclusively when you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm "talking about" what is as plain as day on the video.

Have a nice day.

usernam*

Player skating with his head down, not clear whether there was actually an elbow...

Shouldn't be a suspension pending further evidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad