Is there anyone here who isn't panicking?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Are we not completely overreacting to last night’s game?

Yes, that game was completely awful, there is no way around It. But some of the comments on the game thread are so ridiculous that its almost laughable. Move the team to Canada if we can’t compete?? Jealous of Edmonton? Um, am I missing something here?? Just as a reminder, here are the Preds last 3 seasons:

47-29-6 100 pts
44-27-11 99 pts
48-26-8 104 pts

We have won 40+ games 6 years in a row. Since 2003, the WORST season was 40 wins and 88 points. There are a whole bunch of teams that would trade places with us in a heartbeat.

Look, we may be in trouble this year- it remains to be seen. I have the same fears that most everyone else has, especially about the offense. But last night was just one game, and we have only played FOUR games. To completely panic and write off the season is just ridiculous. We played ONE terrible game against what may be the best team in the NHL, and probably the best defensive team in the NHL. (And also don’t forget we lost a game at St Louis late last year that was almost identical to this one- a 3-0 loss- with one of our best teams ever)

Listening to the board, you would think we were 0-4 with 0 points.

I am worried about the offense like everyone else, but as some others have pointed out, we basically have the same team as a year ago, and this same collection of forwards scored the 8th most goals in the league- and last year after 8 games we were 3-4-1 and had scored 16 goals in 8 games- and look how that season went. Was it a fluke? Can we repeat that? Who knows- maybe not, but there is no way to judge that after 4 games, 3 of which were played against very good defensive teams.

The message board mentality is really crazy now days- it is not just this board- its everywhere. I am also an Alabama football fan, and you should take a look at those message boards- we are in the middle of one of the great runs in college football history and there is still plenty of moaning and groaning on there- one bad quarter and people are jumping off buildings- and we’ve won 3 titles in 4 years for crying out loud.

Finally, I just have to say this as a former Atlanta Thrashers fan- there are a bunch of spoiled fans on here. The worst season in the past decade is 88 points and you would think by the talk on here that we had the worst franchise in the NHL. Just close your eyes for a second and imagine if your team had an 11 year run with ONE playoff appearance and ZERO playoff wins. In 11 years, the Thrashers had 2 seasons of more than 88 points, (the Preds WORST year since 2003). I would hate to see how people would react to that if you can’t handle the Preds current level of success.

As I said, I am just as worried as the rest of you- I think there is a possibility that we may be in for a long year, too. But it is just game 4- it is WAY too early to be giving up.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
This is my team now as well... However I was disgusted with the performance last night. Especially after jumping through several hoops to get around the Game Center Live Blackout only to watch the Preds get shut out.

They are as bad on offense as the Thrashers were on Defense.... This is something that must be adjusted; We do not have the high end offensive talent to contend. We have a glut of 2-3rd line tweeners that are expendable and may or may not have value to another organization that might have a legit top 6 finisher they are willing to part with.

After over 10 years of fan misery with the Thrashers I want to see my new team excel

SeventyOneTN

Oct 26, 2009
This is a common issue early in the year. The fan base will overreact based upon too little of a sample size. The team has not looked good, but other than last night we have stayed competitive, hopefully we can come out of this road trip somewhere around a point per game and then get things going in the right direction.

Are we not completely overreacting to last night’s game?

Yes, that game was completely awful, there is no way around It. But some of the comments on the game thread are so ridiculous that its almost laughable. Move the team to Canada if we can’t compete?? Jealous of Edmonton? Um, am I missing something here?? Just as a reminder, here are the Preds last 3 seasons:

47-29-6 100 pts
44-27-11 99 pts
48-26-8 104 pts

We have won 40+ games 6 years in a row. Since 2003, the WORST season was 40 wins and 88 points. There are a whole bunch of teams that would trade places with us in a heartbeat.

Look, we may be in trouble this year- it remains to be seen. I have the same fears that most everyone else has, especially about the offense. But last night was just one game, and we have only played FOUR games. To completely panic and write off the season is just ridiculous. We played ONE terrible game against what may be the best team in the NHL, and probably the best defensive team in the NHL. (And also don’t forget we lost a game at St Louis late last year that was almost identical to this one- a 3-0 loss- with one of our best teams ever)

Listening to the board, you would think we were 0-4 with 0 points.

I am worried about the offense like everyone else, but as some others have pointed out, we basically have the same team as a year ago, and this same collection of forwards scored the 8th most goals in the league- and last year after 8 games we were 3-4-1 and had scored 16 goals in 8 games- and look how that season went. Was it a fluke? Can we repeat that? Who knows- maybe not, but there is no way to judge that after 4 games, 3 of which were played against very good defensive teams.

The message board mentality is really crazy now days- it is not just this board- its everywhere. I am also an Alabama football fan, and you should take a look at those message boards- we are in the middle of one of the great runs in college football history and there is still plenty of moaning and groaning on there- one bad quarter and people are jumping off buildings- and we’ve won 3 titles in 4 years for crying out loud.

Finally, I just have to say this as a former Atlanta Thrashers fan- there are a bunch of spoiled fans on here. The worst season in the past decade is 88 points and you would think by the talk on here that we had the worst franchise in the NHL. Just close your eyes for a second and imagine if your team had an 11 year run with ONE playoff appearance and ZERO playoff wins. In 11 years, the Thrashers had 2 seasons of more than 88 points, (the Preds WORST year since 2003). I would hate to see how people would react to that if you can’t handle the Preds current level of success.

As I said, I am just as worried as the rest of you- I think there is a possibility that we may be in for a long year, too. But it is just game 4- it is WAY too early to be giving up.

Fo Shea Shea

Nov 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
If we truly thought we were an elite team, last night should have proved to ownership/Poile that we truly are not ready yet ... we got worked in every sense of that term

I knew this wasn't an elite team when we did what we have done every year. Have a decently solid defensive core but can't sign a top line scorer during the off season. Lean on good goal tending, competent defense, and hope that we can get a couple of goals has been this teams identity since the team was sold. Last night didn't surprise me at all. Games like that are going to happen with this model. The Blues are damn good. We don't have the offense to compete with them or Chicago. Maybe a few guys will get hot and get a few goals, but there is no consistent threat in our offense.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Nah, like I said, even if the Preds suck this draft is awesome.

Also, first objective of the season: Get to the playoffs. 1-8 I don't CARE! Just ask the Kings.

Liquidfire3240

Aug 14, 2009
Murfreesboro, TN
So what, we're 4 games in and there are a lot of teams worse off than we will be all season.
We're 4 points from the top and 4 from the bottom. Everything will be ok.
Also, Tarasenko is on my fantasy team.
44 of the games are still awesome regardless.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
if you are gonna quote my post as one of the main ones overreacting, please do it correctly. nothing pisses me off more.

i didn't say if we can't compete, move them to canada. what i said is that if we cant afford to ice a top notch team, then move them to canada. im so tired of needing say a 1st liner or a back up goalie (examples) and someone saying "but remember how much payroll that will be" .. so frustrating.

take away backstrom's brain fart and we're looking at 5 goals in 4 games. not to mention, our offense just looks abysmal. 13 shots last night seriously? our offense is a complete joke.

and yes you are overreacting to other peoples overreacting.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
It is only 4 games. They played 4 games in 6 days and had a dud last night. Lost only 1 in regulation. We could have been 3-1 if we had won the shootouts and people would think what a great start. Rangers and Flyers are 1-3. Washington 0-3. Kings 0-2-1.

Way too soon to panic. Wait and see how the road trip goes.

kakemono

Dec 27, 2006
The biggest problem I see is the low amount of shots. I also feel our shot stat is inflated because we have so many low quality shots. This has, in my opinion, been an issue for a few years now. So far, in our tiny sample size, we are averaging 24 shots a game. Take out the 13 shot showing last night and we average about 28 for the first 3 games - which is right in line with our average last year.

I don't like our style of play, but I guess when all your talent is in your defense or tied to the goal with a 3 foot leesh, you make due.

Anyways, we have 4 points. It is a disheartening 4 points because we have 3 losses, but it is the same points as the 2-2 teams and that is really all that matters.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
Im far from panicking. Im just extremely pissed off. We got hosed last night and our inability to control the puck destroyed us last night. Rinne didnt look comfortable at all either. We need to pick up the pieces an get straight if we are gonna come out of this road trip alive...

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I see the boards are in the mindset of commenting on the team's play is now considered "panic". Guess I won't be coming here too often anymore.

I have no problem with commenting on the team's play- I myself said last night's performance was AWFUL. It way beyond pathetic. If that is all people were saying, I would have never made the original post. But if you don't think there was a ton of panicking over one game on the game thread, then we must have been reading a different thread-

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
The biggest problem I see is the low amount of shots. I also feel our shot stat is inflated because we have so many low quality shots. This has, in my opinion, been an issue for a few years now. So far, in our tiny sample size, we are averaging 24 shots a game. Take out the 13 shot showing last night and we average about 28 for the first 3 games - which is right in line with our average last year.

Even low quality shots are better than our current MO, which is "dump/carry in and turn it over." I understand we're looking for quality chances, but we just don't have the puck handling skill to possess the puck for a long time. We can't setup a cycle at all.

Sure, if you've got some space, wait for the perfect pass to open up. But the VAST majority of the time, we need to be shooting, crashing the net and hoping for a rebound.

No, that's not a great way to run an offense, but without some more skilled puck handlers, what choice to do we have?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
if you are gonna quote my post as one of the main ones overreacting, please do it correctly. nothing pisses me off more.

i didn't say if we can't compete, move them to canada. what i said is that if we cant afford to ice a top notch team, then move them to canada. im so tired of needing say a 1st liner or a back up goalie (examples) and someone saying "but remember how much payroll that will be" .. so frustrating.

take away backstrom's brain fart and we're looking at 5 goals in 4 games. not to mention, our offense just looks abysmal. 13 shots last night seriously? our offense is a complete joke.

and yes you are overreacting to other peoples overreacting.

Then you definitely need to find another team becuase payroll is always going to be an issue here. And how do you define a "top notch" team? The Predators have been one of the top teams in the NHL for almost a decade. 40+ wins 6 years in a row, and 99+ points 3 years in a row- how many teams in the NHL can match that? If the Predators had the Thrashers level of success, well, then I would agree 100% with everything you said.

And by the way, Preds have scored 8 goals this year, so it would be 7 without the Backstrom goal. We do not have an empty net goal this year.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
sorry got the goal totals messed up. I dont count legwand's goal in the sense it doesn't happen without backstrom's brain fart. ( if gonna be negative, got to go all out ;) )

top notch means just if we need a piece we go get it. and right now, there's alot we need to win a cup. ive just been a fan of this team so long, it just gets frustrating to be so close but can't get there because of "payroll".. it sucks.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
This is an issue common to HFBoards and the digital age, in general. Steady as she goes; I thought we would be fighting for a 7/8 seed this year and I still think the same. I'm happy with the team over the long-term.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Still believe this year is a "throw away" year. Obviously the goal is to make the playoffs, but we aren't a cup contender right now and we need our young guys to grow. We're throwing together a really young team and a short sched. is probably better for them. We saw how Smith got fatigued in the 2nd half last year. Let's see how well they do this year, and next year we'll be more experienced and hopefully we'd have addressed some issues in the off-season.

Really not worried at all. Four games into the season getting shut out by one of the best teams in the league isn't gonna make me demand Poile's head on a pike.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Heaven forbid that fans (see: Fanaticals) get pizzzzzzed off after their team gets shutout EASILY and showed no signs of being able to mount any type of offensive pressure.

Why didn't anyone complain about the excitement on the boards after the Preds beat Minnesota?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm not. Having said that, we have some issues that need to be addressed and corrected before we're a contending team.

The puck control and breakout issues are not just player issues, it's system issues that need to be adapted.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Still believe this year is a "throw away" year. Obviously the goal is to make the playoffs, but we aren't a cup contender right now and we need our young guys to grow. We're throwing together a really young team and a short sched. is probably better for them. We saw how Smith got fatigued in the 2nd half last year. Let's see how well they do this year, and next year we'll be more experienced and hopefully we'd have addressed some issues in the off-season.

Really not worried at all. Four games into the season getting shut out by one of the best teams in the league isn't gonna make me demand Poile's head on a pike.

Yeah, as a Blues fan looking in, you cant lose a guy like Suter and not expect some drop-off in how the Preds play. Sure, you got guys like Josi and Ellis, but they arent going to replace Suter overnight. Nashvilles offense has always been pretty average, their calling card has always been strong defense and goaltending. I think Rinne can do enough to get this team back in the playoffs, but you guys will probably be fighting for the 6-8 spots rather than for the central.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad