Speculation: Is there any way possible Mantha makes the Wings out of training camp?

• Thread starter Detroit Sports*
  • Start date

DetBigWangs

Dec 15, 2009
He could make the big club. It's possible. But it would be nearly as unlikely as you winning the powerball jackpot this next drawing on one ticket.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you guys think Mantha has a shot to play based on the camp he has, you don't follow the Red Wings closely.

October 2011. Nyquist lit up the Traverse City Tournament, then played on a top 6 line for the NHL pre-season and put up 5 points in 5 games, including a 2 goal 1 assist night. Babcock said during the midst of this "He looks like an NHL player to me".

....And he still caught the first flight to GR to start the season.

Absolutely 0% chance this kid makes the Wings out of camp.

If Smith and Nyquist didn't make the Wings in 2011 based on the camps they had, there's no way in hell Mantha does this year.

DetBigWangs

Dec 15, 2009
If you guys think Mantha has a shot to play based on the camp he has, you don't follow the Red Wings closely.

October 2011. Nyquist lit up the Traverse City Tournament, then played on a top 6 line for the NHL pre-season and put up 5 points in 5 games, including a 2 goal 1 assist night. Babcock said during the midst of this "He looks like an NHL player to me".

....And he still caught the first flight to GR to start the season.

Absolutely 0% chance this kid makes the Wings out of camp.

If Smith and Nyquist didn't make the Wings in 2011 based on the camps they had, there's no way in hell Mantha does this year.

What if he lights up the AHL for 80 goals and 200 pts?

0% chance is hyperbole. A miniscule chance is more appropriate. I can't honestly say that it's a physical impossibility. Just a very very rare occurence.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

0% chance is hyperbole. A miniscule chance is more appropriate. I can't honestly say that it's a physical impossibility. Just a very very rare occurence.

Nyquist was a ppg player from the start of his AHL career. And it took him 122 games and 122 points to become an NHL regular.

When is the last time there was a 200 point player in the AHL. Or even a 1.5 ppg player in the AHL (not including NHLers down because of the lockout)?

And isn't Mantha likely going back to the CHL anyways?

I'll give him a .00001 % chance if that makes you feel better about it.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The odds are so long it's really not worth spending much time on the subject IMO. It's probably best to hope he can have a Sproul-like season where he dominates and wins a bunch of awards. It's been a long time since we've had prospects who have dominated the CHL and there's obviously a ton of NHL talent that comes through there.

So in my humble opinion the best we can hope for is that we start to draft and develop more high level CHL talent. Sproul was a huge step in the right direction, hopefully Mantha can follow in his path.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

if Mantha lights up the AHL next year, then he's definitely going to make the Wings, because he can do the impossible. Mantha is not eligible to play in the AHL next year.

and we thought Datsyuk was a magician...

DetBigWangs

Dec 15, 2009
if Mantha lights up the AHL next year, then he's definitely going to make the Wings, because he can do the impossible. Mantha is not eligible to play in the AHL next year.

and we thought Datsyuk was a magician...

Touche.

But you catch my drift. Is there a level of performance that cannot be ignored?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Touche.

But you catch my drift. Is there a level of performance that cannot be ignored?

outside of something ridiculous and nearly impossible to happen? I don't think so. The way the roster is constructed and the organization is run essentially makes the answer a no. If the stars align and he shows he's physically ready to make the jump at the same time that we have the roster space available and we don't have any other prospects who have to be kept up to avoid being exposed on waivers, he has a shot. Other than that,I think he's going to have to wait for his shot.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
mmBNIhF.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That was even better than your Avery sweater hanging from the rafters....:handclap:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think he has a shot to make it quicker then most recent picks. Hes huge, a little mean and a goalscorer which are lacking.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's why I don't understand why he was still there when the Wings picked. The compete level concern must have been absolutely major, because he's got sky high upside. I'm not sure if I should be baffled or just worried.

I've heard lots of criticism about him due to being an "overager."

Perry was a late 1st pick, at 28. Getzlaf was picked at 19th. Shea Weber was picked 49th. These things happen.

Now I'm not saying he's one of those guys, but I'm sure there were folks asking the same exact questions you are right now about Perry in 2003.

we like our team*

"Mantha will be as good as, if not better than, Perry" - Bench :sarcasm:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've heard lots of criticism about him due to being an "overager."

Perry was a late 1st pick, at 28. Getzlaf was picked at 19th. Shea Weber was picked 49th. These things happen.

Now I'm not saying he's one of those guys, but I'm sure there were folks asking the same exact questions you are right now about Perry in 2003.

That actually was the reason Getzlaf fell in his draft year. Compete level. He cuold dominate like Mantha and could be scrappy when he wanted but it was his every night battles that were inconsistent. Perry was just a brutal skater in a deep draft

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Sure, if Mantha was an unstoppable machine that looked like a young Mario Lemiuex or something.

But the chances of that about about zero.

Not entirely true. Going into the draft there were about 5 guys who have legitimate chances to play next year. Mantha is one if them. The question will become, do the Wings think he'll be better suited to play sparingly in Detroit than in the Q. He's not really going to grow much more in that league, he's physically mature enough to do it and he's a natural scorer. I'm of the opinion it's a waste to send him back. It's almost worth burning a year of his elc to let him learn how to function at the NHL level. It's a problem the Wings haven't had to deal with in a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad