Speculation: Is there any way possible Mantha makes the Wings out of training camp?

• Thread starter Detroit Sports*
  • Start date

Detroit Sports*

I would say no. But he seems to think otherwise.It got me to wondering what EXACTLY would he have to do in training camp to earn a spot. I know the Red Wings do not play rookies ( takes like 5 years min to make the team) Does he even have a shot? Will they give him a fair shake if he just blows them away, or absolutely not under any circumstances?

RedWingsNow*

I would say no. But he seems to think otherwise.It got me to wondering what EXACTLY would he have to do in training camp to earn a spot. I know the Red Wings do not play rookies ( takes like 5 years min to make the team) Does he even have a shot? Will they give him a fair shake if he just blows them away, or absolutely not under any circumstances?

Sure, if Mantha was an unstoppable machine that looked like a young Mario Lemiuex or something.

But the chances of that about about zero.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
If he lights it up they may play him a couple games to see "what he's got", but then send him down. But the odds of that happening are zero to none.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The best Mantha could hope for is to impress greatly during camp, come up for 5-6 games and then get sent down.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Mantha will have to excel in the AHL first, and I Think that is fine. Unless you're Crosby/Stamkos level you have no business in the NHL at his age. Too many teenagers has been rushed by bottom dwellers if you ask me.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Nope, but I like his attitude.

mmBNIhF.jpg

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
His problem would not be talent if he did have enough is truly that they want him to work on adding bulk in ahl to fit his height so I say ZERO.

Now if he did get two goals a game in camp and 3 points would be hard to say no lol but think that is zero chance too.

I love the kid as a goal scorer. Could you see him late in year get some shots at power play cause had injuries and he tore up the ahl? Yes but still think they go slow with him cause want him to gain a ton of weight.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
If he blows them away in training camp, maybe he'll get his 8 game "tryout" stint. As soon as that 8 game stint is over though he's on the first plane back to the Q.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
If he blows them away in training camp, maybe he'll get his 8 game "tryout" stint. As soon as that 8 game stint is over though he's on the first plane back to the Q.

Not necessarily. Although it is extremely, incredibly, hugely unlikely to happen, if he scores at above ppg in the NHL he'd here to stay. Wings management isn't that stupid.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
I could see Mantha being the 1st line right winger next to Zetterberg and Datsyuk...

in about 3 seasons. It's not his time right now. The best that I think he could obtain is a 3rd line role with Helm and Nyquist. It's probably better for him to be in the Q in a 1st line capacity right now. He wouldn't be playing special teams on this team either. Mantha could get 20 minutes of ice time in the Q, maybe 10-12 on the Wings.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I think there's a better chance of Jiri Hudler playing a game in a Red Wings jersey this season

Don't even joke about that!

It happened with Quincey...

As for Mantha, no there is no chance he makes the Wings. We don't have a roster spot and he's not elite talent that could replace anyone in the top 6-9 forwards.

And it's the Red Wings. Let's be realistic.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He would have to have a great camp and then do really well in the few NHL games he'll get. That's a lot to ask for any 18 year old.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Even if he had a ridiculous training camp I don't see him sticking. It would take 5+ wingers all getting sick/hurt and missing an extended period of time for the Wings to consider keeping him up. That being said has Mantha even been signed yet to his ELC yet?

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Even if he had a ridiculous training camp I don't see him sticking. It would take 5+ wingers all getting sick/hurt and missing an extended period of time for the Wings to consider keeping him up. That being said has Mantha even been signed yet to his ELC yet?

I was just going to say this - Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Ferraro, and probably Jurco are all ahead of him at the very least. So it would take a half a dozen serious injuries to the forwards and Mantha looking like vintage Jagr in preseason for him to get any serious consideration.

And even then, probably no.

They don't need to sign him to an ELC, I don't think, if they give him a tryout contract and send him back to junior within 9 games or whatever.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think training camp and maybe a pre season game(?) will be enough this season. I don't expect him to look anywhere near ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad