Is there any value in Bryan Little returning before the end of the season?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If Bryan is actually 100% healthy (sounds like that is not a given) and he's pissed off he is being held out maybe I guess but we are talking one extra week of precaution here I think it's important to be safe given this team is playing for nothing and Little has zero to prove.

Yea I want him out for the tank but honestly past that what is the actual point of bringing in a guy that had a neck injury with one week left in a throw away season where we are actually getting a look at prospects in meaningful roles". There is a duel purpose to the tank yes those of us that want a better draft position want the losses but the Jets get to trial and battle test the next wave of talent in meaningful roles with real minutes.

Sorry but unless it is damaging the relationship with Bryan I stay the coase for one more week.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I can't imagine what benefit there could possibly be to Little coming back.

Aside from the obvious motivation to tank, there's a much bigger reason to keep him off the ice. Spinal injuries are serious, and can be re-aggravated if they're not given enough time to heal. Erring on the side of caution seems to be the right move, and I'd say the same thing if we were in Game 7 of the cup finals. The guy is a big part of our core and I'm sure he will be for at least a few more years. No reason to risk a guy's career to play 4 games, whether those games mean anything or not.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't imagine what benefit there could possibly be to Little coming back.

Aside from the obvious motivation to tank, there's a much bigger reason to keep him off the ice. Spinal injuries are serious, and can be re-aggravated if they're not given enough time to heal. Erring on the side of caution seems to be the right move, and I'd say the same thing if we were in Game 7 of the cup finals. The guy is a big part of our core and I'm sure he will be for at least a few more years. No reason to risk a guy's career to play 4 games, whether those games mean anything or not.

That's why teams have medical staff that make these decisions. Obviously the Jets wouldn't be putting pressure on the medical staff to get him in, so if he is cleared I think it is safe to assume he has healed and there is no additional risk if he plays.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Not nearly enough benefit to offset the potential cost of him helping us win games. Not even close...

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I see zero risk. The doctors won't clear him if he's not 100% healed. I think some are putting their tanking preferences over logic. I think Bryan wants to play

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I see zero risk. The doctors won't clear him if he's not 100% healed. I think some are putting their tanking preferences over logic. I think Bryan wants to play

So? I don't doubt he wants to play. I'm putting my tanking preferences over putting a guy in the line-up for no particular reason who could conceivably hurt the tank. Seems pretty logical to me...:dunno:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So? I don't doubt he wants to play. I'm putting my tanking preferences over putting a guy in the line-up for no particular reason who could conceivably hurt the tank. Seems pretty logical to me...:dunno:

That's fine, but don't use the health risk argument. If there's any perceived risk he won't be cleared. Sounds like Maurice is torn as well. Maybe he's been watching Mathews highlights :popcorn:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
That's fine, but don't use the health risk argument. If there's any perceived risk he won't be cleared. Sounds like Maurice is torn as well. Maybe he's been watching Mathews highlights :popcorn:

:laugh: Yeah, he's probably dreaming of Matthews / Scheif / Little as his top centre depth.

Logically, if they clear him medically, he'll go. I'd prefer he didn't though. If he plays, I'm not going to get torn up over it - I would like to see how our 1/2 or 1A / 1B lines may fall out for next year, so I'll take solace in that.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Who cares. Its a few meaningless games before we break for the summer. Why risk our lottery odds to have the guy play a few games

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
What's he going to say though? No, I have no interest in returning this year?

If he was as concerned about his injury, I'm sure he would have said something different. Or decided not to get back on the ice at all this year.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

Every team has medical staff, and they've been wrong from time to time. We'll get a star in this year's draft, cos all we do at the draft is win win win. There's 0 potential for something good to come out of Little playing NHL hockey again this season. While it's small, there is a risk of aggravating the existing injury.

The injury Little suffered doesn't just impact the spinal column itself. The muscle and connective tissue surrounding the spine have likely softened and slackened in part due to the injury itself and also due to the swelling that would occur during healing. That means the chances of a subsequent injury is higher. Even if it's only slightly higher, why take any risk at all?

Bryan Little is probably at his very peak right now. Let's ensure his future health and durability even if it comes at the cost of a little frustration from a competitive athlete who doesn't want to miss a minute of the action.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Every team has medical staff, and they've been wrong from time to time. We'll get a star in this year's draft, cos all we do at the draft is win win win. There's 0 potential for something good to come out of Little playing NHL hockey again this season. While it's small, there is a risk of aggravating the existing injury.

The injury Little suffered doesn't just impact the spinal column itself. The muscle and connective tissue surrounding the spine have likely softened and slackened in part due to the injury itself and also due to the swelling that would occur during healing. That means the chances of a subsequent injury is higher. Even if it's only slightly higher, why take any risk at all?

Bryan Little is probably at his very peak right now. Let's ensure his future health and durability even if it comes at the cost of a little frustration from a competitive athlete who doesn't want to miss a minute of the action.

They won't take the risk if he hasn't fully healed. Why is he even on the ice now cleared for contact in practice? Why risk injury in practice? He won't play if there's any risk. I believe this has already been factored into the recovery time or he would not be skating now.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I dont like the idea of guys going 7/8 months away from the game, as with Carey Price. Little hasnt been out that long, but I'd still like to see him get back in the game before seasons end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad