Is there any other sports that has a team like the Coyotes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pittsburgh Pirates

Made the playoffs 3 times in the last 30 years, all 3 being in the 1 game wild card spot, losing two of them. Constantly trading away their players for nothing

I'm not very knowledgeable about baseball, but this is the comparable that immediately came to mind for me. Like, don't they basically just exist to collect their revenue sharing cheques, act as a feeder system for the actual teams, and basically just sell cheap beer at the stadium?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I'm not very knowledgeable about baseball, but this is the comparable that immediately came to mind for me. Like, don't they basically just exist to collect their revenue sharing cheques, act as a feeder system for the actual teams, and basically just sell cheap beer at the stadium?

Yes and it's brutally sad. They might have the best stadium in North American sports and a solid fanbase waiting to support them, but they exist basically to collect checks and sell talent.

It's not as if they struggle to find good players, they just won't pay them. In this past years' MLB playoffs, like 6 teams were carrying a former Pirates starting pitcher: Gerrit Cole, Joe Musgrove, Tyler Glasnow, Jameson Taillion...if they simply hung onto the talent they drafted, signed, and developed, or received in any of their last 5 batches of selloff trades, they'd be a dominant franchise. But their ownership is cheap, and the guaranteed revenue is better to them than the ? that comes with actually putting together a payroll and going for it.

They're a Yankees farm team, pretty much.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The Expos before they relocated, at least as far as I know (I was 12 in 2004). They seem to be the most apt comparison. The Bengals and Jaguars don't seem to fit. In fact, not sure any football team does. Or Basketball.
The Expos were an elite organization until the last owner sold off everything of value.
In baseball it's the cheap ownership teams like Baltimore, Oakland, Milwaukee, Florida. There is really no point in cheering for any team in BB besides the richest 5 or 6 teams.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
There's this small niche sport you may not have heard of called ice hockey... the biggest and richest team, in one of the biggest cities in the league's footprint, that is absolutely NUTS about hockey, like way more popular than in any comparable big city, and like a good chunk of the league's top talent is from there.... even with a salary cap they can spend way more than anybody on front office, scouting, team facilities, can do things like bury players that make too much salary to the point it's like a meme.

Well, somehow that team hasn't won a single playoff series in 19 series. Yep, not one single playoff series. Every other team in the League has since then. They also hold the longest drought of winning the League Championship and haven't even made the finals in that same period. Most of which covered a time prior to a salary cap being in place.

Pretty nuts, almost hard to believe.
incredible how the same people manage to bring the Leafs into every single discussion even when the original thread has nothing to do with them lmfao. so unhinged

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Hey, the Coyotes are getting 4,600 fans per game!! It's at least as much as some college football teams in small cities in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad