Is there a way we can make the regular season more meaningful?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I don’t have a dog in this fight tonight (Boston vs Florida). In fact, my team (CBJ) is one of the biggest beneficiaries of a huge playoff upset and the “variance” of playoff hockey.

But I’m starting to get to a point where I’m wondering what’s even the point of watching hockey October through March? Seems like it’s only meaningful if you’re a bubble team (which is maybe 1/3 of the league). If you’re above that, it doesn’t matter at all. (And if you’re below, it of course doesn’t matter, either, but I have less issue with that than it being meaningless for teams at the top.)

Home-ice is meaningless. Seeding is not particularly meaningful. Is there anything that can be done to at least make it feel/be somewhat more meaningful?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You could have a 5-3 home advantage for division winners instead of 4-3

the highest team could choose who they want to play in round 1.

• Haha
Reactions: OscarsCards

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
2020-style playoffs

Top 25% of the league get a bye. Middle 50% have to go through the playins. Bottom 25% miss the playoffs.
Wouldn’t necessarily mind this. Would give a benefit to getting into the top-8 in the league/top-4 in the conference during the regular season. Would also almost all-but-eliminate tanking.

Last edited:

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

Presuming you meant 5-2 not 5-3 in your first sentence, but that’s an interesting idea (although I don’t think home-ice is particularly meaningful, so don’t know how impactful it’d actually be). But games 1-2 at home, 3-4 on the road, and then 5-7 at home (including game 6) for division winners in the first round is creative and something I think actually could reasonably be implemented, kudos.

Having the teams pick their opponent would probably never happen bc NHL owners/GMs are risk-averse, so would probably never implement that change.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
If they really want to make the regular season not be meaningless, award the Stanley Cup for the regular season, and another trophy for the playoffs, which is essentially a tournament. I'm being serious.

It'll never happen with the historic prestige of the Stanley Cup. But the only way to make the regular season have serious credibility, especially nowadays with so much parity that involves so many "upsets" , is to put something major on the line than just a President's Trophy.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If they really want to make the regular season not be meaningless, award the Stanley Cup for the regular season, and another trophy for the playoffs, which is essentially a tournament. I'm being serious.

It'll never happen with the historic prestige of the Stanley Cup. But the only way to make the regular season have serious credibility, especially nowadays with so much parity that involves so many "upsets" , is to put something major on the line than just a President's Trophy.
You could probably accomplish the same thing by reducing the season to 72 games, while making it so only the top 2 teams in each division make it. But, the NHL would never entertain giving up that type of revenue.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014

I would dig higher teams choosing who they want, make a playoff draft sort of night, it would be a blast. Watching teams get swept by a team they chose to play, or some players having a fire lit under them when they’re chosen first, watching GMs do weird shit for dumb reasons. Would be great

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here's a way: Start acting like winning each game matters, and drop the idea that the only thing that matters is winning the cup.

The cup or bust attitude ruins it for a lot of fans too, with the tanking talk taking over for many teams.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Presuming you meant 5-2 not 5-3 in your first sentence, but that’s an interesting idea (although I don’t think home-ice is particularly meaningful, so don’t know how impactful it’d actually be). But games 1-2 at home, 3-4 on the road, and then 5-7 at home (including game 6) for division winners in the first round is creative and something I think actually could reasonably be implemented, kudos.

Having the teams pick their opponent would probably never happen bc NHL owners/GMs are risk-averse, so would probably never implement that change.
I’m referring to the better division winner picking which wild card and not necessarily taking the one with the worse record. because they might be one of the hottest teams in the league fighting for the final spot.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Bruins would have been fine and would have steamrolled into a 4-0 victory if Pittsburgh Penguins had managed to defeat the tanking Chicago Blackhawks who were trying to lose.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Here's a way: Start acting like winning each game matters, and drop the idea that the only thing that matters is winning the cup.

The cup or bust attitude ruins it for a lot of fans too, with the tanking talk taking over for many teams.
Good in theory but just not the nature/culture of North American sports. (Pretty much the only NA sport like that is college football, and sadly that’s been changed with the 4-team playoff and will get even worse with the 12-team playoff.) It’s even worse in a sport like hockey with the mystique/aura around “The Cup.”

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
It's fine the way it is, maybe some fewer games to keep the quality higher. But it's a lesson that playoff hockey is a different ballgame.
Agree. I’m 50/50 on the divisional format vs the division winners getting seeds 1 and 2 and then reseeding but this has been a fun 1st round and it’s not even finished.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I’m referring to the better division winner picking which wild card and not necessarily taking the one with the worse record. because they might be one of the hottest teams in the league fighting for the final spot.
Right, I knew that, what I meant was the GMs/owners are not going to want to put themselves up to potential scrutiny because they’re risk-averse, so rather than allow themselves the potential to pick opponents and set themselves up to that potential scrutiny if they lose, they’d prefer to just stick to the status quo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad