Is there a way to watch the Islanders without a cable package? Which is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
I canceled cable a few months ago as I felt we were watching too much TV. Now that the NHL season is on the horizon I'm trying to find out what to do.

Has anyone here canceled their cable and still have a way to watch the Islanders? Does any cable service have an app that you can log-in to watch live TV? Is there any way to watch Islander games with having cable? I can watch certain channels using my parents log in information because they have cable. Anything similar for the Islanders?

I called Cablevision and they told me that they only have MSG & MSG+. This can't be true, but no certain that they didn't have other MSG channels.

Fios has MSG, MSG+ and MSG2 in HD, but they do not have MSG2+ in HD. I believe the Islanders were on MSG2+ a bunch of games last season. I have Fios internet and it would be $40 to add this cable package.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Gamecenter live is the only legal option (I think). However, if you're in the New York market, they're going to black out local games. There are ways around that, but that'd have to be done via a private conversation.

mhs8hockey

Jun 3, 2006
connecticut
I am in a similar situation. I have internet but no cable because ATT in New Haven county doesn't carry Isles games. I bought a slingbox and set it up at my dad's in a spare bedroom. I should be able to watch the games and access DVR functions etc. I can watch TV from my computer,phone, tablet. I have a wire that connects my computer to my TV so I am hoping that it comes in really well. I have watched TV on it before but never live sporting events. If it doesn't work well, I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay for cable again. Slingbox is $300 btw. Got mine at Bestbuy.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I am in a similar situation. I have internet but no cable because ATT in New Haven county doesn't carry Isles games. I bought a slingbox and set it up at my dad's in a spare bedroom. I should be able to watch the games and access DVR functions etc. I can watch TV from my computer,phone, tablet. I have a wire that connects my computer to my TV so I am hoping that it comes in really well. I have watched TV on it before but never live sporting events. If it doesn't work well, I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay for cable again. Slingbox is $300 btw. Got mine at Bestbuy.

Yeah, I'm in New Haven county, but I have Cox, which doesn't even get MSG at all, which is annoying as ****.

I was thinking of doing Center Ice, but people are saying Isles games would be blacked out?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, I'm in New Haven county, but I have Cox, which doesn't even get MSG at all, which is annoying as ****.

I was thinking of doing Center Ice, but people are saying Isles games would be blacked out?

I don't know much about Center Ice, as I've only used GCL, and GCL blacks games out if they are available in your market. If you're not in the MSG market, then it wouldn't be blacked out.

And as mentioned above, there are ways to get around that. But the mods don't allow for that discussion in public (it's not illegal though).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't know much about Center Ice, as I've only used GCL, and GCL blacks games out if they are available in your market. If you're not in the MSG market, then it wouldn't be blacked out.

And as mentioned above, there are ways to get around that. But the mods don't allow for that discussion in public (it's not illegal though).

I meant GCL, but yeah, it would probably be blacked out. I wish there was a way I could find that out beforehand.

I'm not looking to watch games on my laptop, rather on my 46'.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
i tried this last year, but found the frame rate to be noticeably laggy between the laptop to the television. that might be an issue with my hardware, however.

I never had an issue. If you have an xbox or playstation, you can also get the apps and stream it through those devices instead of the laptop.

When I'm watching it on my television I'm usually streaming using my xbox.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I meant GCL, but yeah, it would probably be blacked out. I wish there was a way I could find that out beforehand.

I'm not looking to watch games on my laptop, rather on my 46'.

You have too many private messages, so the private message I sent bounced back. Delete some of them!

DktrFaustus

Dec 22, 2011
brooklyn
Is hockeystreams any good? I've always used GCL, but would like to start watching the AHL and other leagues.

i've found hockeystreams to be superior in every aspect imaginable. i'm not sure why one would pay more to get GCL just to get bombarded with restrictions.

and yeah, you can skip the chromecast if you have a playstation or xbox. it's effectively the same thing. i was assuming not everyone here has a video game console, though. if you look on hockeystreams' website, they give you plenty of options of how to watch their service, along with instructions.

i spent all of last season with hockeystreams. no blackouts, no huge delays, very damn near cable quality on my 37" samsung, a mobile app, multitude of other leagues available, every playoff game available, every playoff game available without having to hear doc emerick or see a single pore of pierre mcguire's face, etc. well worth the money.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
i've found hockeystreams to be superior in every aspect imaginable. i'm not sure why one would pay more to get GCL just to get bombarded with restrictions.

and yeah, you can skip the chromecast if you have a playstation or xbox. it's effectively the same thing. i was assuming not everyone here has a video game console, though. if you look on hockeystreams' website, they give you plenty of options of how to watch their service, along with instructions.

i spent all of last season with hockeystreams. no blackouts, no huge delays, very damn near cable quality on my 37" samsung, a mobile app, multitude of other leagues available, every playoff game available, every playoff game available without having to hear doc emerick or see a single pore of pierre mcguire's face, etc. well worth the money.

That is great news, thanks!

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
You can go to a bar...that way when the isles blow a 3-0 lead you have a ready supply of alcohol to help you forget lol

In all seriousness....probably GCL. That's what I did when I was stationed at Fort Riley. It's like $200 (correct me if I'm wrong) for the season I believe

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Does hockeystreams allow you to watch archived games at your leisure? This is the one feature that keeps me using GCL, as often times I'm working or have a social obligation during the actual gametime. Being able to watch the whole game when I get home is a huge benefit for me.

I do hate the blackout restrictions though. If hockeystreams does allow me to watch games even when they're not actually airing, I would definitely make the switch. Otherwise, I don't know that I could, as I'd miss more games due to timing than due to blackouts.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Can multiple people watch at the same time using hockeystreams?

My two friends and I want to get it and split it all, but we have two isles fans and one Ranger fan and if they play on the same day that causes an issue for the one Ranger fan. And despite his allegiance I'm not trying to screw over my buddy.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I use gamecenter live online (whatever they are calling it nowadays) and love love love it. I do, however, don't have to worry about blackouts consider I'm in South Korea and this certainly isn't a local market, lol.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

I'm surprised you have had no problems. Maybe it's only suitable for North American viewing. I tried to use hockeystreams early last year after people were praising it's glories and it was ridiculously bad. The lag was horrendous....I couldn't do many of the things I can do on GCL. It just wasn't for me. I think maybe if you use it before GCL you are content with it, but going to it from GCL was not enjoyable at all. Like I said, I'm not sure how much being in a different country effected it, but it was not acceptable.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
There are ways to watch live sporting events and news, weather without cable. I am watching the football game on a 50 inch tv with a small little box and internet service. No cable for the last 4 years and watch what I want when I want. Lots of extra spending money and freedom.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The big issue with hockeystreams is that it isn't legal, so you could be out money if it were to ever just shut down in the middle of the season. The bonus material is definitely nice though.

DktrFaustus

Dec 22, 2011
brooklyn
Does hockeystreams allow you to watch archived games at your leisure? This is the one feature that keeps me using GCL, as often times I'm working or have a social obligation during the actual gametime. Being able to watch the whole game when I get home is a huge benefit for me.

I do hate the blackout restrictions though. If hockeystreams does allow me to watch games even when they're not actually airing, I would definitely make the switch. Otherwise, I don't know that I could, as I'd miss more games due to timing than due to blackouts.

you can watch archived games, condensed highlights, and quick highlights. they're uploaded pretty quickly too.

Can multiple people watch at the same time using hockeystreams?

My two friends and I want to get it and split it all, but we have two isles fans and one Ranger fan and if they play on the same day that causes an issue for the one Ranger fan. And despite his allegiance I'm not trying to screw over my buddy.

i don't think multiple people can use an account at the same time.

I'm surprised you have had no problems. Maybe it's only suitable for North American viewing. I tried to use hockeystreams early last year after people were praising it's glories and it was ridiculously bad. The lag was horrendous....I couldn't do many of the things I can do on GCL. It just wasn't for me. I think maybe if you use it before GCL you are content with it, but going to it from GCL was not enjoyable at all. Like I said, I'm not sure how much being in a different country effected it, but it was not acceptable.

have you tried connecting to the singapore server? it might work better. i follow the GDT threads along with the game and have had zero issue with lagging. i used to have GCL with a VPN and it was always 1 1/2 to two minutes behind.

The big issue with hockeystreams is that it isn't legal, so you could be out money if it were to ever just shut down in the middle of the season. The bonus material is definitely nice though.

it's been around for a while now (i think five years possibly?) and i've never heard even as much of a murmur of it shutting down. i don't think there's much the NHL can do legally since their servers are located in a "grey area."

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
have you tried connecting to the singapore server? it might work better. i follow the GDT threads along with the game and have had zero issue with lagging. i used to have GCL with a VPN and it was always 1 1/2 to two minutes behind.

No, haven't tried that. The games are delayed but that never bothered me. I only watch maybe 30% of the games live anyway, the rest I watch the full replay usually when I get home in the evening (games come on like 9am here). I don't mind a delay, but when I'm watching I don't want any buffering. With hockeystreams it was constantly buffering and really really choppy. I'm not saying I gave it a fair shake, but trying to troubleshoot wasn't worth the hassle honestly when GCL does everything I need it to. Not to mention the more people who subscribe the better they will make the product...so I'd rather just support that rather than some piggyback service.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Yeah I rented Hockeystreams for a month, loved that I could watch junior hockey as well as preseason Islander games. BUT I didn't have much success in that the games always seemed to have to reboot and I'd miss some of the action. That never happened to me with GCL. So I do a month of Hockeystreams in September for Islander's preseason action, and then GCL for the regular season, though Islander games are blacked out, I do rewatch the Islander games if I miss the game. Plus I watch GCL during the offseason, you can watch any game from the prior season, plus they have archived games from prior seasons as well as archived classic games from all different decades. Also watch it on my tablet and/or iPhone. Love GCL.

TheBrazenhead*

I haven't had cable for probably over 10 years or so. I don't watch tv that much and anything I do want to watch can be found on the web for free. ;)

I do usually get CI or GC though to watch the Isles. Blackouts as mentioned are quite easy to get around. If not there are quite a few streaming sites that I can watch the games on, also for free. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad