Is there a player you're glad never held the Cup?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Definitely Ovechkin.

Although I think he is probably a good guy in a lot of ways, I want to see him retire without team success because I have stated since Day 1 of his career that his type of hockey can never win. That is, playing as a celebrity above playing for a team. I want to be right.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
That is not remotely what happened. JJ's father (the one who later robbed him blind, it should be noted) didn't want his son to ever play in a small market where he couldn't be a media star (and where he as father could be a major public figure as well) and basically forced JJ to refuse to sign with the Canes, making it quite clear along the way that he would never agree to sign with the Canes. The "he's not ready to leave college yet" bit was simply spin.

Is there a good read for exactly what his dad did? I just can't get my head around a father robbing from his own son.

Oh, and did Dale Hunter ever win the cup? He definitely deserves to forever suffer........ professionally.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Fail. Kovalev won the cup in 1994. (You did acknowledge not looking them up though)

He also always showed up in the playoffs.

Yeah, I just remember watching him in Ottawa and shaking my head. If the guy could have put a hammock at centre ice until the puck got out of his own zone he would have. Had no idea he had a cup.

frankocb

Dawg sez Game ON eh!
May 7, 2015
Future Caniac
Either/both of the "Brandon Brothers" (Dubinsky and Prust)...

Dallas Stars' pest Antoine Roussel...

Thankfully Raffi Torres never sniffed the trophy...

Hopefully Lucic never gets close again...major POS

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Lindros and Dale Hunter. Roenick only in retrospect, since I've started paying attention to him as a commentator.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Real glad it's looking like Burrows will never win a cup. Guy has 0 respect for the game.

I would give up one of the Wings cup wins if it meant Cooke would have never won as well.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
For me it was Lindros. I was glad that he was pretty much responsible for turning The Quebec/Colorado franchise into one of the best teams between the 2 lockouts. No one that's never played on NHL ice should ever be worth what Philly payed for him. Forsberg alone made that trade a win for Quebec all by himself.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I sincerely hope Mikhail Sergachev signs a 20 year deal with the Habs and never wins a Cup. That would be terrific.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad