Is there a Oilers' point total 2015-16 prediction thread?

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
Hi Gang, just wondering what everyone's best guess on this coming year point total compared with last year's abysmal 62.

I'm hoping for 78-82.

Edit : if there is another thread on this I couldn't find it.
Please feel free to redirect.

Thx

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hi Gang, just wondering what everyone's best guess on this coming year point total compared with last year's abysmal 62.

I'm hoping for 78-82.

Edit : if there is another thread on this I couldn't find it.
Please feel free to redirect.

Thx

League average goaltending will be enough to get us 10 more points than last year. Mix in upgrades like McDavid, Sekera, Letestu, etc? Who knows.

Playoffs are a pipe dream - improving by 20-25 points isn't.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm expecting them to get 85 pts... anything less would be a failure on the part of management/coaching and the players.

That's still likely a bottom 2/3 finish in the West... but as tight as each year usually is... that would also be within sniffing distance of a wildcard spot as well. 85 pts would likely see them finish ~10 pts out of a wildcard spot which all things considered is realistic for this team.

If they do have another sub 80 pt season and especially if its sub 70 pts again... I think they have to essentially nuke the team at that point as obviously the makeup of the team isn't going to get them where they need to be.

Build around McDavid and trade (almost) anything and everything else to bring in better 2 way players and more grit into the top 6/9... plus hopefully add at least 1 and preferably 2 more competent top 4 dmen to the team.

Again that's if they have a year where they are 20+ pts out of the playoffs again. There really is no excuse at that point with it being 10 years straight with no post season.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I am feeling optimistic about this team. I think the coaching staff will bring the best out of these players.

98 points and the playoffs ;)

And yes I know I will probably have the optimism beaten out of me before the end of the calendar year. But for now I will remain hopeful.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Well I think the Oilers got around 40 points in their last 48 games so I will say somewhere around 80-85 points this season.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Well I think the Oilers got around 40 points in their last 48 games so I will say somewhere around 80-85 points this season.

Better coaching staff + McDavid + Hall(mostly) + Sekera + Talbot + a year of maturity on top of that.

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
Ya 80-85 is doable

I agree if they are <70 by year end it would be time to nuke the team

Hopefully we won't get swept by Calgary, Vancouver, and Phoenix again. That is painful.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I am feeling optimistic about this team. I think the coaching staff will bring the best out of these players.

98 points and the playoffs ;)

And yes I know I will probably have the optimism beaten out of me before the end of the calendar year. But for now I will remain hopeful.

As long as it isn't before November like the last couple of years, I'm good with it! I can see them winning 10-15 more games possibly, depending on a number of factors going correctly.

So I'll say 78 - 90 points. It's a bit of a window, but there are way too many variables at play right now.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Looking at the predictions/guesses here... looks like around 85 pts is the median where we see this team this coming season.

It's actually pretty sad that as a fanbase we really can't say we expect playoffs this year... after 9 years of missing they are still likely on the the outside looking in this year, which will tie the longest playoff drought in the NHL. It is what it is though and I think everyone at least has more optimism about the future beyond this year whereas it was looking like a perpetual cesspool under Eakins/MacT.

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
Looking at the predictions/guesses here... looks like around 85 pts is the median where we see this team this coming season.

It's actually pretty sad that as a fanbase we really can't say we expect playoffs this year... after 9 years of missing they are still likely on the the outside looking in this year, which will tie the longest playoff drought in the NHL. It is what it is though and I think everyone at least has more optimism about the future beyond this year whereas it was looking like a perpetual cesspool under Eakins/MacT.

this ^^^. Its so embarrassing to admit.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
All we need to do to make it into ~80 territory is not get swept by Arizona, Vancouver, and Calgary.

That should be doable right? right? :cry:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think that it's too early to predict points. We know that our new coach likes to play an offensive style but he was blessed with a ton of players who were 2 way savvy with tons of offensive upside.

It could only be a case of a few adjustments to get some of our wingers into the habit of playing smarter hockey, but on paper and in the world of hockey predictions we are not San Jose. That doesn't mean that we don't have what it takes to be better than they are but we're flat out a different team than they are.

We're younger and our young stars have different attributes than the core players of San Jose.

I believe that Connor will score more than 70 points and I think that 80 is lofty because of what's going onin the east right now. The reast of the team I'm not willing to predict at this point because it's hard for me to imagine how he's going to use each player on our team.

I'm really hoping that this crew teaches Klefbom timing with the shot. He knows where to shoot from but his timing is off. If his timing was proper he would have had 20+ more points last year.

I really hope that he uses Yakupov properly on the PP because he's got a skill set that enables him to create a multi vector attack that will confuse the hell out of the opposition and it's not that complicated. It's all about having a few Xs and Os criss crossing to create a perfect storm.

Let's watch training camp and let's look at all of the situations that all of our key players put into and then speculate how things will work out in the regular season based on how player A, B and C faired in all of these situations in the off-season.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
All we need to do to make it into ~80 territory is not get swept by Arizona, Vancouver, and Calgary.

That should be doable right? right? :cry:

Calgary is flat out better than us this season. Respectable top 6 forward group, great group of d-men, respectable goaltending and a few good players on contract years. When I saw respectable I mean proven, as well.

As for Vancouver and Arizona, they're yesterdays news. Arizona isn't ready to compete. They've got a ton of great youngsters but they're going through what we Oil fans are used to refering to as "development years."

Vancouver is going to be so much fun to watch because they're going to get their ***** handed to them. Just watch all of those tickets being sold online for 3/4 of the face price. Nucks fans can't stand cheering for a weak team. I'd know. I lived there for 8 years.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers were absolutely horrendous against the West last year, and many teams swept us. That should change this year. We are not going to lose every game against Phoenix and Vancouver again.

That being said there will be some growing pains. I think we get 75 points.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Oilers will finish with 87pts..a couple of points better than Calgary.

Flames aren't near as good as they appeared last year. Nice adds in Frolik and Hamilton but a regression in the 'kids' will hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad