Is there a Max that can be asked when trading for future considerations?

flipuck

Oct 10, 2011
My son is playing Junior A hockey out East for a couple of years and now in his last year of hockey looking to come home for his last year of hockey. Does anyone know if there is a cap or max that can be asked for a player? He is a top player in his league playing top minutes on the first line of one of Canadas top ranked Junior A teams. Previously when his coach was asked about a trade he had no interest. We dont want to be difficult but my son want to finish his last year near family and friends and looking for better exposure for NCAA opportunities. He is getting interest already with Div III and offers for this year and some Div I interest for next year as well. Word has it the coach is asking $10,000 for the future return is this possible?

Last edited:

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
It could depend on the league; but I know in the Maritime Hockey League the maximum that can be legally sent to another team in a trade is $5,000. I believe this also includes if your trading with a team outside of the Maritime Hockey League.

Ballroomblitz

May 22, 2012
If the player is going into his final year of Jr A hockey and is currently getting interest from Div 1 schools I would think the best bet would be to stay and see what firms up. Changing leagues you never know where you sit on the roster, and getting the prime ice you mention he has may be more difficult to get in order to showcase skills. It can be harder to land a D1 in your final year as D1 teams tend to scout, recruit and commit a few years ahead to firm up their roster spots in advance, however a few spots do open up for players who decided to take another route at the last moment.

Don't know how much can be asked for, but moving back is an option and then get the new team to figure out all the back door arrangements. When a team realizes a player has gone back home and no intention of coming back to another province, the incentive changes to getting something back and the longer it drags they could be left with nothing by way of player or compensation which is always a motivation to finalize a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad