is there a chance The Preds become a real offensive team soon???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Non Preds fan here.....

OK Preds have been notorious for drafting unreal talent on D and in net. They now have a new coach and most likely the team will be coached in a new direction. They have some real talented offensive youth (Forsberg, Jarnkrok etc)...(and also have a gem in Brendan Leipsic... but will be a couple years away)..Will they slowly start building around these guys, maybe make some more trades and actually start becoming an offensive threat team? I'm not trying to trash talk your team but Ill be honest and when I see young offensive players drafted or traded to Nashville, I think that they will never hit their offensive ceiling. I really am hoping they change things around now since they have in my eyes, the best dman in the game and one of the best goalies in the game. Whats everyone's thoughts? The last time a Preds player finished the year with over 70 points was in 2007/08 season(JP Dumont)... I would just love to see a change in Nashville. Somehow get a couple more stud forwards and become a exciting team!!!!

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
The Preds being a truly offensive-focused team is a quite a while (and like 5 top 6 forwards) away for sure. That said, with Smith, Jarnkrok, Forsberg, Leipsic, Hornqvist, Wilson, 11th overall, Aberg, etc., we can hopefully develop an actual group of forwards to go with our great D to make us a balanced team, especially if we can land Thornton/Stastny/Vanek/Vrbata/someone this summer.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Salomaki seems like he could end up surprising a lot of us.

And Sissons/Aberg/Leipsic. Reaaaaally hope one of them breaks out, something we've never seen before in a prospect. Smith was close, but I'm talking 50+ points in their rookie year. Not to mention we have Forsberg AND Janrkrok... Future in the forwards looks pretty good, a lot of good depth. Only problem is it'll be a couple years before we see a lot of these guys

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
wow I didn't realize Salomaki had that good of a season in the AHL. Good points/pims combo. Who does everyone think will be top point getter out of all the youth in a year or 2?

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
And Sissons/Aberg/Leipsic. Reaaaaally hope one of them breaks out, something we've never seen before in a prospect. Smith was close, but I'm talking 50+ points in their rookie year. Not to mention we have Forsberg AND Janrkrok... Future in the forwards looks pretty good, a lot of good depth. Only problem is it'll be a couple years before we see a lot of these guys

I agree we're deep, but I would argue not one prospect in our system will likely end up being a true top line forward. A few have a shot (Forsberg is the top of the list) but none are likely IMO. We don't have a Huberdeau/Barkov/Drouin/Tarasenko/Yakupov/Hertl/etc.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
We think and hope so.

Let's face it, Laviolette wasn't brought in to maintain the status quo.

There's alot of B to B+ level offensive talent down on the farm that should benefit from Laviolette and will be maturing here in the next year or so. We need to hit the lottery with one or two of them.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I agree we're deep, but I would argue not one prospect in our system will likely end up being a true top line forward. A few have a shot (Forsberg is the top of the list) but none are likely IMO. We don't have a Huberdeau/Barkov/Drouin/Tarasenko/Yakupov/Hertl/etc.

I wasn't necessarily thinking top offensive player, more like 60 points or so, that is all this team needs is 2 to 4 60 point players. With this defense and goaltending, that should be more than enough. My bet is on Leipsic, but I could see him being a high risk/high reward type player and then Forsberg for obvious reasons

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I wasn't necessarily thinking top offensive player, more like 60 points or so, that is all this team needs is 2 to 4 60 point players. With this defense and goaltending, that should be more than enough. My bet is on Leipsic, but I could see him being a high risk/high reward type player and then Forsberg for obvious reasons

Ya I will be extremely curious how Leipsic does. He is a big time high risk/high reward type. If he can figure out how to play in AHL/NHL against men the way he did in Junior, you guys will have a fan favorite instantly. Ill be watching him close all year in the AHL next season because I want to see how he is used. He is a typical pain in the butt who gets under the skin of opponents, but also has a extremely high offensive ceiling. If he can combine those aspects like he did during his Junior career, Preds and their fans will be so damn lucky.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The Preds have a foundation for a championship team, they need a 1st line. Statistically, they have 2 wings who are scoring at 1st level: Smith & Hornqvist. Fisher was producing at a high 2nd/low 1st. If they think Wilson can be the playmaking center on the first line then they need a LW. In my mind I want a 2nd/3rd line center and that number 1 center/goal scoring LW. Spezza's no-trade list was made last summer so Poile can offer a deal to Ottawa to see if Spezza can change his mind. The price would be high. I could see LeCavlier as a 3rd line center with Cullen as LW and Fisher at RW. (The 3 old centers line) Umby could be cheap and be a LW on the 3rd line with Cullen-Fisher.

As for the 1st line, Spezza would be awesome but expensive asset wise. Stasny would be expensive cash wise.

Fact is, the Preds NEED to make that move, the window is open and they need to attack RIGHT NOW. They have a foundational team. Now its time to put up the walls and roof.

My hope for the roster of this team is push Hook to the 2nd line and get enough talent to push Forsberg to the AHL.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
About this time last year when Lepsic was being pumped up I warned about his twitter posts about likeing to party. As per HF boards it was dismissed as old birddog being a hater but here we go..

May 5, 2014 - Brendan Leipsic had a objective and an help in his return from a ... suspended for 2014 season for violating substance abuse coverage.

Now I know most of the people that read here do not see nor care about issues off the ice but what these guys do on the ice and off the ice impacts the team.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
About this time last year when Lepsic was being pumped up I warned about his twitter posts about likeing to party. As per HF boards it was dismissed as old birddog being a hater but here we go..

May 5, 2014 - Brendan Leipsic had a objective and an help in his return from a ... suspended for 2014 season for violating substance abuse coverage.

Now I know most of the people that read here do not see nor care about issues off the ice but what these guys do on the ice and off the ice impacts the team.

Patrick Kane once beat up a cab driver and robbed him. He seems to be doing fine.

Maybe Leipsic is a guy who never gets it together. Or maybe he does.

He's no different than 100's of other prospects. Sometimes, they do stupid stuff. I don't see what it has to do with anything at this point.

Teekko

Mar 5, 2011
Vancouver

Where did you find this? I searched but I couldnt find any articles on it :/

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY

Dude, you copied the Google search results preview from a Sports Illustrated article that isn't even accessible. It returns a Database Error, which I assume is why you copied the snippet.

The "suspended for 2014 season for violating substance abuse coverage" bit isn't even about him. I have no idea who they're actually referring to. Leipsic was suspended one game for his water bottle antics.

I'm amazed that you just tried to create a story out of absolutely nothing.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
Everyone forgets jimmy vesey. Kid has some real skills. One of the best forward prospects and very underrated around these parts.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Dude, you copied the Google search results preview from a Sports Illustrated article that isn't even accessible. It returns a Database Error, which I assume is why you copied the snippet.

The "suspended for 2014 season for violating substance abuse coverage" bit isn't even about him. I have no idea who they're actually referring to. Leipsic was suspended one game for his water bottle antics.

Daryl Washington maybe?

Brendan Leipsic, Polished Turd 2.0.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006

Well technically, water is a substance... :sarcasm:

Daryl Washington maybe?

Brendan Leipsic, Polished Turd 2.0.
Yep, that's it. Here's the cached version:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ro-collection-lead/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY

DWashSuspendedMAIN.jpg
brendan-leipsic.png

To be fair, the resemblance is uncanny. :sarcasm:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
OK...This thread has spun off and isn't really needed anyway (as the new offensive system is being discussed in multiple places).

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad