Is there a bigger homer announcer than Jack Edwards?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s always taken the crown, but I think it’s intentional and that it’s viewed as part of the job. Derek Sanderson was the same way before him, I doubt it’s a coincidence.

Reactions: sabremike

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I can't believe people get bothered by this. Actually, when the Leafs had Joe Bowen on TV and he was a homer I enjoyed watching games more, to be completely honest.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I love over the top commentary, it's just hilarious, I always use the Bruins feed when watching their games. I'm probably in the minority but I was also disappointed when Healy was cut from the Leafs broadcast, his "analysis" was one of a kind. The Detroit feed is also good most games but hard to watch the Wings much these days.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I can't believe people get bothered by this. Actually, when the Leafs had Joe Bowen on TV and he was a homer I enjoyed watching games more, to be completely honest.

I understand Bowen is a Leafs fan and homer, but the majority of announcers favour their team. That is why you have a home AND away feed.

As for Edwards, he goes beyond being a Bruins fan to let it take away from the quality of his broadcast IMO.

For example, last year in the playoffs he got pissed that play was stopped because a Leaf player took a puck from a hard shot to the face and exclaimed something like, "That is unbelievable. I get it if a bone is sticking out of your leg, but come on!" while a guy was down on the ice. He didnt complain the next game when the same thing happened to a Bruins player.

I get being a fan and how it can be annoying for the opposing fanbase to listen to that stream (Bowen and some others), but at least they are good quality broadcasters that don't make fun of the other teams or talk shit while the opposing players are down on the ice/potentially injured (to my knowledge).

Edwards also routinely cheers whenever a Bruins player does an illegal hit or boarding.

If Edwards just cheered foe the Bruins, got excited when they were doing well, and talked more about their team than the opposition then I would have him as one of the better announcers.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Marchand's diving against WSH from the 2012 playoffs is still one of the worst I've seen in any sport. And I've watched a lot of soccer.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Lol between this call and the ‘trip’ call last night those two pigeons in stripes should be filling out resumes today.

Jack IS a homer. This isn’t telling Bruin fans something they already know. At least he acknowledges there is another team on the ice most nights.

I’ve watched enough CBC Toronto games to know what I’m getting in to there. You’d swear it was a one team scrimmage for all the talk they give anyone not in a blue jersey.

Mmhhmm...

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Edwards is a bit weird. I feel like most of the time he's actually very good, informed, fair and respectful at his job, just in general nice to listen to, but then when things get testy and emotional, he absolutely loses his mind and becomes a total clown. Those are of course the times when these type of threads are made, so that's what people who don't watch him a lot know about him.

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009
He's the worst announcer by far. It's a given that the home teams network announcer will be a homer, but he takes it to new horrible levels.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Top 5 Homer’s even if some are great or used to be great or are funny whatever they all love their teams and don’t even hide the fact.

Edwards (Bruins)
Bowen (Leafs)
Garrett (Canucks) he’s a colour guy but still.
RJ (Buffalo)
Oilers colour guy

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Meh... so what? I’m a Bruins fan, and if the announcer is also, that’s fine with me. I actually prefer it that way. As long as he’s not sugar-coating the team too much when they’re bad (I understand he works for the Bruins), I’m ok with it. If Jack Edwards bothers other fans, I’m ok with that, too. He doesn’t work for the other teams and he doesn’t work for a network that does ‘national’ games.

To what another poster said about Scott Zolak - yes he’s a colossal Patriots homer. He has a passion for football and LOVES the Patriots. It’s genuine with Scott, and not a schtick.

He’s not really an announcer, per se, but Don Cherry is a total Boston honk from what I’ve seen of him. He also doesn’t hide that he loves the Maple Leafs, too. Wears his homerism right on his multicolored sleeve for everyone to see.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
No, no there clearly isn’t a bigger homer amongst NHL announcers.

That said Sissons should get fined and the refs should get reprimanded for that utter bullshit.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Oh no!! a guy who watches his team play 82 games each and every year on the home teams channel shows some emotion.
I like my hockey like I like my ice cream. 3 scoops of vanilla. Bland product, bland players, bland commentary

Last edited:
Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Creating threads for this... the officials didn't deserve to be employed after this one but that is a different matter. This was a great call by Edwards on the off chance the NHL tunes in to the different feeds. Maybe some disciplinary action for the officials.

It is fun for rival fanbases to not like Edwards and he can be annoying at times but when a different team's TV crew is this upsetting to you....

It would take someone actually watching Bruins games to grasp this but he often gets over excited fawning over other teams and their goals. Few homer crews do that.

This specific example too, is such a reach. Post a Greg Campbell fight if you want to support this... original... theory of yours.
What lol? Last night the dude was absolutely ripping into the preds players for diving and embellishment, etc. And basically said that the bruins should’ve won the game if not for the officials...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad