Is the team performing as you expected?

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Kind of. I expected this team to be bad scoring wise, but I also expected a lot more cohesivness. That was before the lockout, but sense the lockout happened, it's acceptable to see a huge clusterf... considering the roster turnover.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I went into this season with very low expectations and thought that would mean I wouldn't be disappointed.

Boy was I wrong.

Can we go back to the lockout?

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Yes. We're where I expected to be. However, the games haven't been as horrible to watch as last year. Probably because:

1. Expectations were much higher last year, less disappointment this year
  2. The Black Cloud of Jeff Carter
  3. Wisniewski's 8 game suspension to start abysmal season last year
  4. Rick Nash Trade Drama
  5. Guys gave up easily last year, this year they at least seem to try to play and keep games close
  6. Shortened season was actually nice, have some hockey to watch without 6+ months of misery
  7. Three first round draft picks, with a good chance at two top 10 picks, provides hope of some future talent AND gives reason to watch hockey to cheer for LAK and NYR to lose.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Yes. We're where I expected to be. However, the games haven't been as horrible to watch as last year. Probably because:

1. Expectations were much higher last year, less disappointment this year
  2. The Black Cloud of Jeff Carter
  3. Wisniewski's 8 game suspension to start abysmal season last year
  4. Rick Nash Trade Drama
  5. Guys gave up easily last year, this year they at least seem to try to play and keep games close
  6. Shortened season was actually nice, have some hockey to watch without 6+ months of misery
  7. Three first round draft picks, with a good chance at two top 10 picks, provides hope of some future talent AND gives reason to watch hockey to cheer for LAK and NYR to lose.

This sums it up nicely. I went into this season thinking "no way this team finishes 12th or higher in the west". Not all doom and gloom, but really, the losses that have been mounting haven't been surprising.... Maybe I'm not holding my standards high enough for this particular group and maybe its because we appear to be assembling a respectable front office, but I'm just glad we aren't seeing the 9-2 blowouts like we saw against Philly last season.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I expected a lack of scoring, but I did not expect the forwards to collectively play this poorly.

When the forwards have the puck on their stick and are able to maintain possession, this is a different team. I could also be disappointed in the blue line, but IMO, they're running around in their own most of the night because the forwards can't sustain any pressure or keep possession. When the forwards are getting it done, the defense looks as I expected it to. In fact, the young guys with little NHL experience have actually been a positive to me. Erixon, Goloubef, Moore look great. Nikitin is playing like a guy who's hurt - there's something going on there and it isn't because 'he sucks'.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I expected to be standings-wise around where guys are now. But I had expected better performance on ice, there have been lots of points that could have had with better and consistent effort.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
The defense is fine other than Tyutin and Nikitin some nights. That's flat out not our problem. Bob usually plays good enough to win most nights but our offense is pathetic. We never get off to a nice lead and maintain it throughout. Once we score some goals, everyone relaxes. Can't wait to draft MacKinnon or Drouin. So yea I thought we'd be better mostly bc I didn't think our offense would be this bad.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I think the effort this season is more consistent and I find that encouraging. Last season was just so depressing on so many levels for me in that a lot of nights the team didn't even seem to try. Lots of drama thanks to the Nash and Carter situations didn't help matters for sure. Not the case this year. Dubinsky and Foligno imo were positive moves for this team character-wise.

The talent level next season should be somewhat better (it can't get much worse, can it?) after the draft and an offseason of potential trades and maybe a signing or two (as well as the likely coaching change as JD and Jarmo will want their guy and not the leftovers). So if the work ethic carries over into next season, there should be cause for true optimism.

Last edited:

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
They are actually performing slightly worse than expected.

I'm considered a pessimist by some, yet every season this team does below my low expectations. To turn it around, I'm predicting we finish 31st next year.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Record wise this team is pathetic. 10 points in 16 games. On pace (w a standard 82 game season) to have 51 points.
In comparison last year the CBJ had 65 points, the two previous years the worst team had 62 points (Edmonton), last place team in 08-09 (NYI) had 61 points and last place team in 07-08 had 71 points.
So yes I expected us to be bad but this team may be chasing (did not research that) an all time futility mark in 3 point game history.

jacketman10

May 18, 2010
Hilliard, OH
The team is bout where I expected them to be. Offensively, we are pretty bad. Defensively, worse than I thought they would be. Goalkeepers, keeping us in it. The effort is there but the lack of skill hurts this team.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The result is as expected but the team isn't performing as expected and neither are individuals.

I thought Jack Johnson would have a big drop off. He has been the most consistent from last year.

Tyutin and Nikitin are much worse defensively than I thought they would be. Tyutin has been better offensively than I thought he would be.

Letestu and Calvert are better than I thought they would be.

Umberger was worse than I thought he would be.

Bob and Mason have been slightly better than I thought they would be.

As for the team, I thought this was a team that would FIGHT. Sure they have spunk and don't stop skating but I thought physicality would be much more prevalent than it has been. Did anyone else expect Boll to get suspended for destroying Perry after Perry's cheapshot? I thought he would do something. Instead they just kinda float around with a few exceptions.

I expected the team to struggle but to make up for a lack of offense in physicality and tenacity. The forecheck and backcheck isn't anywhere near where it should be. The hits aren't nearly as often as they should be. If teams aren't going to fear our offense, they need to fear our bodies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I thought the Jackets would surpise a few people, not be a playoff team but I did nto think they would be in the basement either. Looking at the Western Standing they are 3 points back and have played 2 more games already....ouch.
I hope that if you od finish last you do in fact get the 1st overal pick. The fact the fans in Columbus have gone through so much already and still support the tem, they definately deserve to have the best prospect coming up.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I thought they would be somewhat better. I really felt the the subtraction of Rick Nash would make them a better team. To an extent, this is true but it has also really exposed how little talent the team has. They work hard but still aren't good enough to win game.

I am also disappointed with the defense. On paper, its the best D we've had on this team ever but they aren't performing like it. JMFJ cannot continue to play as many minutes a night as he has been.Wiz has been acceptable but has missed a decent amount of time with his child and injury recently. Tyutin gets plenty of assists but he and his pairs figure skating partner have been atrocious on defense.

The worst kicker of it all is if the opponent makes a mistake, we rarely ever capitalize on it but every blue line fumble we make ends up in the net. Nikitin has solely been responsible for at least 3 goals of his own in the past week. Wizniewski had 2 key turnovers in the Edmonton game coming back from injury that single handedly cost them the game. That is just 2 examples of the D problems that have plagued them.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Just about what I expected for a start, as I have posted in other threads.

The draftniks are in heaven of course, but the team will get better as the season goes on and wins will come. Whether they actually climb out of the basement remains to be seen. I think they will but the trade deadline will have a lot to do with it.

Kind of a lose/lose proposition. Not enough wins for some and too many for others.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
As for the team, I thought this was a team that would FIGHT. Sure they have spunk and don't stop skating but I thought physicality would be much more prevalent than it has been. Did anyone else expect Boll to get suspended for destroying Perry after Perry's cheapshot? I thought he would do something. Instead they just kinda float around with a few exceptions.

I expected the team to struggle but to make up for a lack of offense in physicality and tenacity. The forecheck and backcheck isn't anywhere near where it should be. The hits aren't nearly as often as they should be. If teams aren't going to fear our offense, they need to fear our bodies.

In general, this is my take as well. I just expected a higher level of physicality (maybe that's my own fault/was a mistake). I also expected more "stand up" play, scrums and taking issue with other teams' physicality. A quote attributed to JMFJ in another thread talked about how the team is "close" and that's the kind of thing I'd expect from a close team is a little more in-your-face attitude.

And I expected/hoped that such an attitude would lead to a few wins here and there to sneak a few points that the team's obvious shortcomings weren't going to get.

The Boom Abides

Sep 22, 2008
I really didn't know what to expect.Changes need to be made. I feel confident about JD being in control, though I felt like that when they hired ex-GMSH. I've heard " wait to see what we do in the off-season" so many times that I'm numb. I'm just trying to enjoy the development of some of the youngsters. I'd sum up my expectations as none to begin with.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'd also like to mention that if Jarmo makes a particularly boneheaded move at any point we can follow it up sardonically with JK!

Example:
Columbus has 1st overall pick. Uses it on someone nobody has heard of. Great move, JK!

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I think the effort this season is more consistent and I find that encouraging. Last season was just so depressing on so many levels for me in that a lot of nights the team didn't even seem to try. Lots of drama thanks to the Nash and Carter situations didn't help matters for sure. Not the case this year. Dubinsky and Foligno imo were positive moves for this team character-wise.

The talent level next season should be somewhat better (it can't get much worse, can it?) after the draft and an offseason of potential trades and maybe a signing or two (as well as the likely coaching change as JD and Jarmo will want their guy and not the leftovers). So if the work ethic carries over into next season, there should be cause for true optimism.

Bored last night, I decided to explore the Rangers GDT for last night's game against MON. Nash was out and it was bloody murder the way they were ripping on Richards and to a similar extent Gaborik. It was reminiscent of how here it was always Nash and everybody else.

Which is to say, I'm glad to have guys like Artem and especially Dubinski around to at least be ferocious.

Team is playing a little worse than I thought, especially D. I have been saying the lockout/no training camp/new roster would distort the early part of the year, and I still think that somewhat; but the team at this point might be how this team is.

Be nice to get Atkinson back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad