Is the Stanley Cup chipped?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
It does have a permanent handler (forget his name) but I did hear from a player that during a particularly rowdy party they attempted to pop the bottom of it off to fill it with a larger amount of alcohol and there was a blinking device attached to it that changed from green to red (breach?). So you'd figure the league knows where that thing is at all times

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
ViiG.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: thedustman

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
If this is true, that’s just about the stupidest idea I’ve heard yet. Throw it in a pool, whatever. But break off the bottom???

There is a cap on the bottom it's a removable piece. If you look at old cup presentations when they pick it up the bottom was hollow and empty they didn't have the black cap on it

snag

Feb 22, 2014
There is a cap on the bottom it's a removable piece. If you look at old cup presentations when they pick it up the bottom was hollow and empty they didn't have the black cap on it

Its pretty much always had a base...here it is in 1921:
180px-Stanley_Cup_1921.jpg

Here is how it was from '27-'47 as the "Stovepipe" Cup:
StanleyCup1927-47.jpg

Pretty sure it has always had a base for strength...think of how easy it is to crush a tin can after you open it ;)

Reactions: KingTrouty

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It does have a permanent handler (forget his name) but I did hear from a player that during a particularly rowdy party they attempted to pop the bottom of it off to fill it with a larger amount of alcohol and there was a blinking device attached to it that changed from green to red (breach?). So you'd figure the league knows where that thing is at all times
Phil Pritchard. he was on the AMEX commercial!

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
Wish they would get a new handler, the guy they have is creepy as hell looking :thumbd:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
"A week after we won it, I had my newborn daughter in there and she pooped in the Cup," said Draper. "That was something. We had a pretty good laugh.
"It was, well, clean it out. I still drank out of it that night, so no worries."

survivor1.gif

He looks the kind of guy you would expect to keep drinking out of a cup someone took a dump in. If he ever came over for a beer or two you wouldn't have to save him a glass, show him where the bathroom is.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
His best friend is a piece of metal. What do you expect?
Oh yeah, right..... but those gloves and that creepy hair still give me nightmares.
Every year i hope a team i don't like win the cup, because then i can turn the TV off before the cup ceremony.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I don't know if this really is the truth, but what I heard is that there is actually 3 cups. One for the HOF, one that gets given out the night of the win and a spare just in case. Michael Ryder put it on a table and the table fell over and put a big dent in the cup, if there really is a spare, I imagine that they broke it out the next day after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad