Is the Sophomore Slump due a result of coaching?

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Obviously many factors would affect a second year pro, but with all the early scoring this year and all the rookies playing, an old theory of mine was reignited.

The best players in junior leagues put up an insane amount of points. It seems to me that when they first arrive in the NHL, they just play like they have for the last few years in junior, mostly because they haven't had the time to fully pick up the coaches system. Usually, they are successful if they are highly skilled and have high hockey IQ.

My theory is that when they fully get a grasp of the system, their play style adjusts accordingly, and usually their play drops.

As a Sabres fan, I believe this is what happened with Tyler Myers. Shot out of the gate with 48 points as a rookie and a Calder. Then, he fell off hard and never looked the same.

What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT: Don't know how to change the headline, but is should read, "Is the Sophomore Slump a result of coaching?"

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sophomore slumps seem to be a phenomenon in every sport and there's no one thing that causes it. Probably a combo of increased expectations and the opponent is much more familiar with the player and knows how to shut them down. Its that next step of adapting and consistency is tough for young players.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
IMO the "sophomore slump" is just a player that overachieves where they really are. It happens all the time but when this happens with a player that's been around for a few years you basically already know what they are and know not to expect it the next year. With young players you don't have the reference point so you are expecting more than what they are really ready to deliver, and when they fall short it gets called a sophomore slump.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
For the hypothesis you'd have to prove that the sophomore slump actually exists.

From previous threads on the topic, the numbers tend to suggest it's just a localized phenomena that hits one or two high profile overachievers but isn't really a statistical trend.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
first year adrenaline falls off after a 3 month long summer break from NHL action. Teams watch game tape on you and defenders know what to expect.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think it's a case that in the 2nd year teams have a better grasp how to defend a player, in the first year many things that players does catches teams by surprise since there isn't really a scouting report at the NHL level how to match up against them

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
For the hypothesis you'd have to prove that the sophomore slump actually exists.

From previous threads on the topic, the numbers tend to suggest it's just a localized phenomena that hits one or two high profile overachievers but isn't really a statistical trend.

Agreed. I don't really think the sophomore slump is a thing. A couple high-profile players "slump" and its just confirmation bias. Nevermind the 2nd year players who don't go through a slump.

As another poster said, it's likely they outperformed their "true talent" in their rookie seasons as well. Would be interesting to go through the PDOs of perceived sophomore slumpers.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I think it could also have something to do with players paying more games than they ever have before and not knowing how to rest and train for the nhl. Also alot if kids with alot of time plus a bunch of money. That how I always thought of it, you achieved you're goal and then celebrate. Its easier to make it to the nhl than it is to stay in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad