Is The Season a failure? Interesting take here...

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
A first round loss would be a colossal failure for this team. On paper they should be the second most talented team behind Boston. They have a elite goalie who fought through struggles but has largely rounded back into form. They have three potential 35 goal scorers, a 30 goal scorer, a Norris caliber D, a mostly decent D corps, prospects who can occasionally dominate, and a two-way center in Trocheck. They've got a solid 4th line, and a good backup goalie.

The Devils ride Jack Hughes. Meier's been nothing special since getting acquired, and probably washes with Kreider if Kreider is playing at his best. NJ's goaltending has been way behind ours all season. Hamilton vs. Fox is a wash. They don't have another D that can match up with Miller as the rest of their guys are all third pairing types except Severson who's clearly behind Miller in every respect. Sure, they had a better record, but if the Rangers didn't suck ass early in the season, they would've easily finished second based on how the team played during the season as ultimately constructed (and not when guys like Ryan Carpenter, Zac Jones, and Dryden Hunt were in the lineup).

So for the Rangers to lose in the first round is an utter choke, especially after being up 2-0.

If that happens, personally, I'd like to see them keep Tarasenko because they're still going to have a gaping top 6 role there next year regardless of whether it's him or Kakko on the top line. Kakko NEEDS to be in the top 6 consistently next year though.

Kane, walk away from. Goodrow too (contract). Pick one big contract to move and explore selling high.

And get Gallant far away from here.

They were a slight underdog to win the series before it started so I am not entirely sure how you can call the most likely outcome a failure.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
You're harping on the exceptions. Yes, lower seeds have won. They still shouldn't be considered a favorite.

You can look at the records but you can also look at the analytics, the play on the ice, hell, look at the lineups.

The Rangers are a tier below the top teams in the NHL. Any objective observer would tell you that.

If you're immensely disappointed because you thought the Rangers were a favorite, you were warned, and you're getting what you deserve.

So I'll bring it back: if this team doesn't win the President's Trophy, we're just wasting our time? If you were so sure of the outcome, then what the f*** are you doing posting on here?

You've got a juggernaut in Boston getting pushed to the brink by a team that bobbleheaded their way into the playoffs. So a team like Florida can figure things out, but our squad has no answers for a virgin playoff team?

At the end of the day, you can take your analytics, your skill, your records, roll them up and shove it: playoffs are a different beast, but in order to have some kind of success, you still have to show some kind of pulse, and this group of losers stopped playing after Game 3. When your goalie has the same amount of SOG as 4 out of 6 of your top forwards, when your goalie is being harrased and you treat the opposing goalie as a sacred cow, you allow yourself to get pushed around, and someone like a Goodrow has to drop the gloves to try to motivate the team, you've lost the plot.

No balls, no heart, and a fool for a coach.

Reactions: Occidentalist

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So I'll bring it back: if this team doesn't win the President's Trophy, we're just wasting our time? If you were so sure of the outcome, then what the f*** are you doing posting on here?
You keep saying this, not me. Not sure where you got it from.
At the end of the day, you can take your analytics, your skill, your records, roll them up and shove it:
So shove the analytics, shove the skill, and shove the records.

What matters?

Why bother building a roster?

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
If they get to the ECF and lose a hard fought series, I mean it would be bad, but it happens. If they lose in this rounds it’s an obvious failure. This team was put together to win this year.

Reactions: Captain Monglobster

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Drury made two big trades for rentals. The Rangers failing to win the Cup is a failure. The Rangers losing in the first round is an epic failure. Management traded so many futures to win right now. Not next season or in two seasons. Drury trades for Tarasenko and Mikkola and then he trades for Kane. Tarasenko has become marginalized and isn't used on PP1. Drury has shit for brains. WTF.

Get this: Tarasenko, a prime force in the Blues’ 2019 Stanley Cup championship, is seventh among Rangers forwards in both overall ice time and power-play ice time. The 11:46 he got in Game 1 represented the second-lowest ice time he has had in 95 career playoff games, getting less only in his NHL postseason debut as a rookie in 2013.

Games 1, 2 and 5 were three of the eight playoff games in which Tarasenko has gotten the least amount of ice time over his career. It is impossible to believe that was the plan when general manager Chris Drury acquired him.

This is Drury's fault. He built the roster. He isn’t responsible for the contracts to Panarin, Trouba and Kreider. He made the trades at the past two trade deadlines. All of those picks squandered for rentals without winning a Cup. Epic failure. He hired Gallant.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Im surprised that Florida tied the series with Boston, but it is a difficult matchup for us Rangers. Im not sure what kind of direction they are going to do after the season with expensive rentals and top talents who are visible struggling to develop.
Im glad it is not my decision to continue the same path, or blow it up and go full tank not sure if it possible with the current contracts and not updated at the moment.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Drury made two big trades for rentals. The Rangers failing to win the Cup is a failure. The Rangers losing in the first round is an epic failure. Management traded so many futures to win right now. Not next season or in two seasons. Drury trades for Tarasenko and Mikkola and then he trades for Kane. Tarasenko has become marginalized and isn't used on PP1. Drury has shit for brains. WTF.

This is Drury's fault. He built the roster. He isn’t responsible for the contracts to Panarin, Trouba and Kreider. He made the trades at the past two trade deadlines. All of those picks squandered for rentals without winning a Cup. Epic failure. He hired Gallant.
Again, when bern is calling it out in real time, where is everybody else? @RangerBoy is telling it like it is, and it echoes what I said.

Yet bern is maligned.
When I make mistakes, it is fair to call me out.
But when my track record is usually correct, then give the props I deserve!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This season is a failure if we dont make it to ECF.

It is a massive failure if we lose this series, especially in this fashion.

We loaded up for a deep run.
Nature of cup means it us all or nothing.
So even ecf would not be enuf

Yes, it’s a failure if they get eliminated by Monday. To give up six draft picks on four rentals to win two playoff games, while still having no clue what Laf and Kakko are.
bold = huge stupidity of cannibalization of assets

Reactions: Occidentalist

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Missed who said it, but someone said to effect we have enuf talent, but not enough heart.
Disagree, generally, exceptions aside.
We do NOT have enuf talent.
Most are showing heart.
What we lack, in addition to enuf talent, is chemistry.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
part of the solution:
Fs: Kreider, Zib, Chytil, Kakko, Goodrow
Ds: Fox, KAM, Schneider

Prefer to keep but prob have to move to get cap $$ due to Drury stupidly not listening to bern earler:
Shesty, Lindgren

can stay or go but should be sold high:
LaF

non factors too expensive/not worth it:
bread
Kane
Trouba
to lesser extent Tara

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

This is the first Brooks article I’ve felt like reading since the playoffs began. This reaction is two games overdue.

Also, should consider adding Quenneville to coaching staff next season.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

And he had to make all of these moves because he had a disastrous 1st offseason as the GM thinking the team had enough skill and overpaying for grit. The kids haven't lived up to the billing and that's why he feels the need to trade for copp, tarasenko, and Kane. Fire Drury.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
You keep saying this, not me. Not sure where you got it from.

So shove the analytics, shove the skill, and shove the records.

What matters?

Why bother building a roster?

Guy, you're the one who keeps saying the Devils had the better record and calling out people who expected better from the Rangers.

I bring up what the Panthers are doing, you go on a tangent of why building a roster.

Again, with your train of thought, if this team isn't league best then we are all collectively wasting our times.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Guy, you're the one who keeps saying the Devils had the better record and calling out people who expected better from the Rangers.

I bring up what the Panthers are doing, you go on a tangent of why building a roster.

Again, with your train of thought, if this team isn't league best then we are all collectively wasting our times.
You're the one going on tangents and pretending I said the better team always wins.

You're going to respond to this post by bringing up the President's Trophy shomehow but let me break it down real simple for everyone else:

-You can beat teams better than you.

-It shouldn't be considered a massive failure if you don't.

Granted, that this loss was obvious to people paying attention is alarming and should be addressed in the offseason. However, the goal should be to build a better hockey team, not throwing out the entire core because they threw away their golden opportunity to win the Stanley Cup entering the playoffs as like the 12th best team in the NHL.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also FWIW, the Panthers are a hell of a lot closer to the Bruins than we are to the Devils.

The Panthers had the 7th best xGF% in the league. The Bruins were 6th.

The sole difference between the Bruins winning 51 games this year and 65 games was goaltending, and goaltending is random.

Boogah boogah boogah analytics.

Reactions: leetch99

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
Also FWIW, the Panthers are a hell of a lot closer to the Bruins than we are to the Devils.

The Panthers had the 7th best xGF% in the league. The Bruins were 6th.

The sole difference between the Bruins winning 51 games this year and 65 games was goaltending, and goaltending is random.

Boogah boogah boogah analytics.

Nice shifting of the goalposts: first it's records, then it's stats, and when you have a team that was given their last rights by almost everyone yet may pull an upset...oh, that's goaltending...when that should work in Boston's favor, not Florida's.

It's like...in the playoffs, anything can happen...otherwise, why is your ass watching the game when you "know" it's a foregone conclusion?

But, do go on, get the last word in again.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nice shifting of the goalposts: first it's records, then it's stats, and when you have a team that was given their last rights by almost everyone yet may pull an upset...oh, that's goaltending...when that should work in Boston's favor, not Florida's.

It's like...in the playoffs, anything can happen...otherwise, why is your ass watching the game when you "know" it's a foregone conclusion?

But, do go on, get the last word in again.
You're moving the goalposts. I've said basically the same thing in every post.

I will get the last word because I'm right. I always am.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad