Is The Sam Bennett Project A Failure?

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
Before he was drafted, many thought he would be the perfect top 6 NHL player. Good scoring ability, and has toughness to him. Now, after four years in the Calgary Flames organization is it safe to label him a bust/disappointment?

2015-16: 77GP 18G 18A 36P
2016-17: 81GP 13G 13A 26P
2017-18: 82GP 11G 15A 26P

Reactions: Iceman

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's not living up to expectations but he's still a solid 3rd line player. He's not a liability on the ice, he plays with energy, creates scoring chances and plays physical.

One should also note, that he was extremely snakebitten this past season and had he shot his career average, he would have been knocking on 20 goals again this season.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Both Bennett and Jankowski strike me as players who can take a significant step when they're closer to their mid 25's. So either next year or the following year.

I thought i saw something with those two guys playing together last season so if they break out at the same time they could be a really good pair behind Monahan-Gaudreau. If they can find a good linemate for them i could see 40 pts from the 3rd line / 2nd pp for Bennett.

But yeah, he's obviously not met expectations. Not everyone does.

Reactions: Skobel24

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone with a brain won't call a 22 year old a bust. People break out at different times and no a being a 3rd liner is not a bust, a bust can't carve out an NHL career.

That's just such a weak bar to set imo. It's too early to say for Bennett yet as I think he still has potential to be a good top 6 player, but if you're a top 5 pick and you're a largely replaceable player who isnt a core piece, I'd call that a bust

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Bust can either mean the player is an absolute failure, or the player's expectations and actual results were WAY off (in a bad way).

For example...
Alex Daigle is a way bigger bust than Scott Glennie in terms of expectations vs results, but Glennie is definitely more of a pure failure where as Daigle managed to have a few good years.

Bennett is the Daigle kind (to a lesser extent), which doesn't really matter. He hasn't lived up to the hype, but who cares? Erik Johnson failed to meet expectations and could be considered a "bust" in that regard.. but he's still carved out a decent career thus far.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Not even close to a bust yet. He's struggled on the offensive side, but he's still a decent 3rd line guy with potential. Not close to a bust yet.

Reactions: ZZamboni

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So, the 4th overall pick turning to a 3rd line ''guy'' isn't a bust in your books?
Interesting.

Similarly you can argue for the 1st overall Nathan MacKinnon was a bust until last year breakout

Bennett is a valuable bottom 6 player and still young so yeah he is not quite a bust yet.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The project is a failure in the sense that the Flames have no idea how good he is and continue to bury him with scrubs like Garnet Hathaway and Troy Brouwer when he should be centering guys like Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Frolik, and have had some of the most incompetent coaches running offense in the NHL the last two years.

The player? He's going to be a star in this league. It's just a matter of opportunity. If Bob Hartley were still Flames coach he would probably be a 75+ pt two-way #1C already. Tbh I look at his numbers under Gulutzan and don't pay any mind to them whatsoever because they are not a player performance indicator, just a coach incompetence one.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
He's a hard nosed player, that just turned 22 years old. He'll be a solid player in his mid 20s to early 30s

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
In my opinion, people are generally way too quick to judge all these young guys. In Bennett's case he is only 22 years old, he could easily still find his game yet, as not every player that goes top 10 is coming in like a Crosby and dominating the instant they hit NHL ice. The expectations on these young guys is insane, especially in hockey mad markets, like anywhere in Canada and the usual US teams. Even a player like Adam Oates for example didn't have a great start to his career, and he ended up with 1400 pts (Not comparing Bennett to Oates).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad