Is the regular season series an indicator of how the post season will go?

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
I know that people say 'the results of a series in the regular season does not matter' when the same two teams meet in the playoffs.

But don't they?

Has there ever been any stats on how often the team who won the regular season series won/lost meeting in the post season?

Just a thought.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Travis Yost did a study a couple of weeks ago.

He found that teams who outscored a given opponent during the regular season went on to beat that same opponent in the playoffs about 65 per cent of the time.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Not really. Playoffs are an entirely different animal. That's why middling regular season teams like the Blackhawks were prior to 2012 and the 2012-2015 Kings have consistent playoff success

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
Rangers beat the Caps 3-1 in the regular season in 2011 before losing to them in the first round. Exact same situation happened the next year with Ottawa (Ottawa regular season, Rangers playoffs)

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Back in 09 or 08 the Habs swept the Bruins 8-0 in the season series, but in the playoffs the Bruins took them to 7 games albeit they lost.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
having played poorly against chicago this regular season, I'd actually be more hopeful about our chances in the playoffs if we meet. It means nothing of course but it's been the opposite for the last four years so why not a complete reversal this time around.

probably depends on the team. Chicago has been so good they're almost too casual in the regular season, then get down to business in the playoffs. other teams have needed to gun it at 100% every night just to get there and will look pretty much the same in the playoffs--not a knock at all, they're still giving 100%. Just that Chicago looks like they're giving maybe 75% for half the regular season and that's good enough for division/conference titles so when they finally turn it on they're suddenly much better.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
St. Louis absolutely owned Minnesota and Devin Dubnyk in particular before they faced in the playoffs a few years ago and Minny won in 6

Also, Minnesota was pretty much annihilated by the Avs in the regular season series until the Wild faced them in the playoffs and won in 7... and have been owning the Avs ever since.

I don't think Roy ever recovered mentally as a coach.

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
2000-01 leafs lost all 5 reg season games to the sens and then ottawa didn't score their first goal of the series till the 3rd period of the 3rd game and they got sweeped

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Vancouver used to regularly beat Chicago in the regular season , but Chicago beat them in the playoffs .

Regular season doesn't mean much .

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Travis Yost did a study a couple of weeks ago.

He found that teams who outscored a given opponent during the regular season went on to beat that same opponent in the playoffs about 65 per cent of the time.

Sounds about right though my guess would have been 60%

If team x beat team y more than 50% of the time, team x is more likely to be better than team y

and if team x is better than team y, they are more likely to beat them in a playoff series.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
In the past, the Wild really didn't have a problem with the Hawks during the regular season. But when the playoffs came round, well.....we all know how that went.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I know that people say 'the results of a series in the regular season does not matter' when the same two teams meet in the playoffs.

But don't they?

Has there ever been any stats on how often the team who won the regular season series won/lost meeting in the post season?

Just a thought.

Travis Yost from TSN had an article on this. Concluded that predicting a series based on only H2H regular season goal differential was IIRC ~65% correct.

So I would think that regular season matchups mean something.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Not in the slightest. Regular season stats say yes though. Good chance that a team with better stats wins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad