Is the Honeymoon over?

Is the Honeymoon period over for you with the Leafs?

• Total voters

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
lol @ i never liked this team...if you're a fan, even a disgruntled one you obviously liked them at some point. That being said, this specific 'rendition' is my most hated one that I've watched in my lifetime. Can't stand wasted potential or losing because of lack of effort, especially when everyone's gotten their pay day

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I kinda feel like any runway for forgiveness because of the inexperience has been used up this year due to lack of effort. Toronto fans like their blue collar roll up your sleeves type players.

Reactions: The Apologist

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Considering last year and this year were supposed to be our rise to power. Much like Crosby and the pens losing a cup final and getting the next one .. yeah .. we already did our overpays ala Chicago (who hasn't won or come close since). Winning is not even on my radar looking at this team.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
AC5D7F22-78F6-46FC-AB56-7C087A2F10ED.jpeg

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The honeymoon was over after last seasons playoffs. Should they fail to qualify this season, Dubas will be on the hot seat next season.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The real problem is that after years (or decades) of disappointments, people got their expectations too high too fast off of an inflated and unsustainable 2017-2018 season where everything went right.

-Great season by Andersen
-Vezina-quality season by the backup (literally the best goals saved above average per game of any goalie with 5+ games in the league)
-Healthy
-Crazy good shootout record (7-2)

People expected that to be the new baseline, and anything that wasn't a direct, obvious, and significant improvement on that was a failure. That's not realistic even if all this stuff wasn't a factor. Nevertheless, the Leafs managed to improve their ROW by 4 last year, and keep the same rank in the division and league, but all some seem to care about are the shootout points.

We've won 1 out of our last 7 shootouts since 2017-2018, including 1 out of 5 this year. We've been completely decimated by injuries this year, and to key roles. Andersen has fallen off a cliff (10th in total GSAA to 62nd), despite improved defense. Hutchinson has been horrible this year, relative to himself, the league, and shots/chances against. People forget, but he was actually not that bad for us in 2018-2019, and no, McBackup wouldn't and hasn't come close to anything he did in 2017-2018 before or since. We also went through a mid-season coaching change. All of this is happening at the same time, and lost in it all is how much sustainably better we've actually gotten, and how much better set up we are moving forward.

This is what adversity looks like. This is what growth looks like. This is when patience is required, not when you know you'll suck. This is the pain.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The real problem is that after years (or decades) of disappointments, people got their expectations too high too fast off of an inflated and unsustainable 2017-2018 season where everything went right.

-Vezina-quality season by the backup (literally the best goals saved above average per game of any goalie with 5+ games in the league)
-Healthy

People expected that to be the new baseline, and anything that wasn't a direct, obvious, and significant improvement on that was a failure. That's not realistic even if all this stuff wasn't a factor. Nevertheless, the Leafs managed to improve their ROW by 4 last year, and keep the same rank in the division and league, but all some seem to care about are the shootout points.

We've won 1 out of our last 7 shootouts since 2017-2018, including 1 out of 5 this year. We've been completely decimated by injuries this year, and to key roles. Andersen has fallen off a cliff (10th in total GSAA to 62nd), despite improved defense. Hutchinson has been horrible this year, relative to himself, the league, and shots/chances against. People forget, but he was actually not that bad for us in 2018-2019, and no, McBackup wouldn't and hasn't come close to anything he did in 2017-2018 before or since. We also went through a mid-season coaching change. All of this is happening at the same time, and lost in it all is how much sustainably better we've actually gotten, and how much better set up we are moving forward.

This is what adversity looks like. This is what growth looks like. This is when patience is required, not when you know you'll suck. This is the pain.

The questions was "Is the Honeymoon over?". I'm guessing it will never be for you :)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The questions was "Is the Honeymoon over?".
The answer is no. The "honeymoon" is not over. I'm not sure why it would be when the team has sustainably improved and is well set up for the future. I properly understand the reasons for why the record is what it is, and I trust that injuries will not continue at this rate, and that we will not continue to get bottom of the league goaltending in the long term with a tandem of Andersen/Campbell.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I had my Golden Anniversary with the Leafs last year......the honeymoon has long been over.

Reactions: ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The answer is no. The "honeymoon" is not over. I'm not sure why it would be when the team has sustainably improved and is well set up for the future. I properly understand the reasons for why the record is what it is, and I trust that injuries will not continue at this rate, and that we will not continue to get bottom of the league goaltending in the long term with a tandem of Andersen/Campbell.

It's possibly the most talented sucky NHL team ever. Brought to you by Kyle Dubas'.

Reactions: carosey12

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
As I said at the time, we won’t get a good gauge of the team until after 20 games or so. No offence to Keefe because I do like him, but any change with this talent was going to produce a run in my mind. It’s a chance for the players to prove it wasn’t them, it was the evil incarnate all along. New systems, new confidence, fresh beginnings, that’s why you make the move. The Leafs have too much talent to be a bottom feeder, I for one wasn’t surprised one iota we suddenly looked energized, that’s why you make the move.

What is instructive now, the “honeymoon” phase is over and we seem to be back to similar concerns. Keefe was exasperated last game and mentioned the same things Satan did earlier this year. Lucifer had shit goaltending too don’t forget earlier this year, but behind that was still compete, lapses, desire and fundamental flaws with the team as constructed.

The coaching change was necessary because now nobody blames Keefe, the blame is right where it should have been all along, with the players. The GM is also on the front line, he inherited a gold mine of talent, but his philosophy is still a question mark.

Im glad the Dark Lord is gone, but he may have been right too about a few things...Seems familiar after the honeymoon is over doesn’t it?

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Im glad the Dark Lord is gone, but he may have been right too about a few things...Seems familiar after the honeymoon is over doesn’t it?
What I believe the New England Patriots, aka the Evil Empire, is implement a football program.

Do your job, get to know the players over the course of a season then the coaches scheme the best game plan for them, be consistent, no turnovers.

That is how football is, try to improve every year, try to improve over the course of the year. That is your football program. The Evil Empire does it best. Rule by fear of coach Belichick.

The Toronto Maple Leafs hockey program, if we use that as a rough parallel, the last few year it kept going one way, up ... then we have what we see now.

Is the hockey program still on track?

My opinion is obviously no. Someone screwed it. Heads should roll.

Over the past 20 years, one would have made far more wins on Brady and Belichick. Do not bet against the Evil Empire.

What chance the innocent Dubas has?

:naughty:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What I believe the New England Patriots, aka the Evil Empire, is implement a football program.

Do your job, get to know the players over the course of a season then the coaches scheme the best game plan for them, be consistent, no turnovers.

That is how football is, try to improve every year, try to improve over the course of the year. That is your football program. The Evil Empire does it best. Rule by fear of coach Belichick.

The Toronto Maple Leafs hockey program, if we use that as a rough parallel, the last few year it kept going one way, up ... then we have what we see now.

Is the hockey program still on track?

My opinion is obviously no. Someone screwed it. Heads should roll.

Over the past 20 years, one would have made far more wins on Brady and Belichick. Do not bet against the Evil Empire.

What chance the innocent Dubas has?

:naughty:
There are a lot of a holes with rings.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Team selling out at crazy prices? Check.

High TV ratings? Check.

Making alot of money? Definitely check.

So no. I don't sense a "Divorce" of any kind between the team and fans.

It will never be dude in this market until a 2nd team shares the arena.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

-Healthy

Yeah I tend to agree. Last season they had a hot start, but were mediocre from January-on.

This year's felt like three different seasons in one, with the start of the year - babcock's firing, and then first 6 weeks of keefe and then the next 6 weeks of keefe.

It's a cop out but I would like to see a whole offseason and camp with the GM and coach on the same page

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad