Is the Coyotes PP actually good (or passable) ?

?

• Total voters

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So this has been a matter of some confoundment around here I think we should all get on the record :P

From 2015 to 2019 the Coyotes have the league worst PP at 16%

This season it's 19.6%, good for 11th place.

Is the PP actually good now? Or is something else going on?

Personally I think it's mostly just luck. We're one of the worst at both shooting and scoring chances on the PP. That will catch up eventually.
I know when I watch the power play it certainly doesn't strike me as terribly dangerous. I think a lot agree. But maybe we're all just a little deluded and looking too closely at every little thing. Wouldn't be the first time on the internet :P

Does the PP% and our league rank tell the story or not?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Based on the title, I assume you include passable in good, so I voted good.

But that was an interpretation. It's not really good, though. o_O

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
PP is complete garbo unless it scores on the gimmick rush zone entry. Only unprepared teams let that happen.

They switched to a true 1-3-1 recently and it looks better. Guys are rotating more. Shot selection, especially from OEL, is still bad.

A good PP needs credible shooters at all 3 outside positions. Keller is not firing the puck, so that needs to change. An okay shot done quickly is better than a slow, perfectly placed shot.

Stepan should not be on PP1 or maybe even 2.

Reactions: Murf and rt

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The power play is not costing us games (statistically speaking).

Here's kind of an odd thought though, what if the talent is there to actually be better than 11th in the league and it's not actually living up to its potential and should actually be an outright strength? Impossible to prove, but it seems quite possible to me that it could actually be even better than 11th given that we're already 11tth yet it looks so damn awful sometimes.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
It may be scoring, but it is definitely not good. The zone entries that look so effortless for other teams are so often a challenge. Then, players are standing around when we do gain the zone. The talent level is middling, at best, but at least we could expect some structure. A couple of the power plays and the 6-on-5 in the Pens game were encouraging, though. Can someone like XX dig up a stat like shooting percentage while on the PP? It seems unsustainably high.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Can someone like XX dig up a stat like shooting percentage while on the PP? It seems unsustainably high.

They're 10th, about 2% higher than the last two seasons combined. Doesn't seem unsustainable.

In terms of GF/60, they are 13th. 30th last 2 years, they are a full goal better this year.

Down 1 goal in the game, they have the 21st best PP...

Fun fact: the previous two years, the PP was a full goal better when the team was trailing by 1 vs this year. So that's something.

Scott Allen's PK was a full goal better per 60 than MacLean's lol If you just measure last year alone, it was 2 goals better per 60.

Last edited:
Reactions: rt and Tom Polakis

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Getting rid of that stupid drop pass thing would be a big help ... OEL did it in the Philly game. Skating toward the Philly zone then all of the sudden turn 180 and pass the puck to a Coyote behind him. When there was a Flyer right there who the puck had to get through. Really thought they'd stop this after they got their asses burned by Toronto. We'd have a lot more time to enter the zone if we stopped with this shit.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Getting rid of that stupid drop pass thing would be a big help ... OEL did it in the Philly game. Skating toward the Philly zone then all of the sudden turn 180 and pass the puck to a Coyote behind him. When there was a Flyer right there who the puck had to get through. Really thought they'd stop this after they got their asses burned by Toronto. We'd have a lot more time to enter the zone if we stopped with this ****.

They keep going for the gimmick goal on the rush. It has worked a couple times.

If teams are going to stack 4 at the blueline then it's worth trying. Better than dumping it in.

Reactions: Jakey53

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Getting rid of that stupid drop pass thing would be a big help ... OEL did it in the Philly game. Skating toward the Philly zone then all of the sudden turn 180 and pass the puck to a Coyote behind him. When there was a Flyer right there who the puck had to get through. Really thought they'd stop this after they got their asses burned by Toronto. We'd have a lot more time to enter the zone if we stopped with this ****.

Every team in the league does the drop pass on the PP. They're just not executing it the right way. The player receiving that pass should get it with speed that he can bring into the offensive zone.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There’s only two places you should never attempt a drop pass. Home and away.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I disagree. I like the drop pass as a way to gain space between the puck carrier and the defense. I just wish that it wasn’t our only way of entering the zone on the power play. They do this about 95% of the time and it’s obvious.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
The drop pass is meant to catch the defence standing still. Problem is they drop the puck so far back that it gives the back checkers time to get back in position and all it does for the Coyotes is force one player to either skate it in himself because everyone on his team is standing still due to being so far ahead or dump it in when he gets trapped by the D who were able to get back in position.
If you're doing a drop pass you should be doing short passes that allow everyone to stay in stride and allowing your puck carrier to catch the defender cutting the opposite direction to open up the ice more.
My biggest problem is watching the defender (usually OEL) get basically around the first defender which is exactly where you want to be to gain the offensive zone with possession, but he then decides to drop the pass back anyways with a huge drop so it gets the team no where other than having one less defender incase of a turnover in the neutral zone.

Then the majority of their powerplay's this year when they have possession the coaches like to put Keller and Kessel on their off wings.. which is idiotic. Neither player is good at taking one timers which is why you'd put them on their off wing. All having them on their off wing does is limit their ability to protect the puck while taking it to the net. Then if they are forced to the corner it makes it even more difficult for the player to open up and find an open player. Schmaltz is the best example of this from a Coyotes perspective.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Keller looks good as PP QB. It's a goal against if he f***s up a pass, but he looks good.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I think it's not so black and white, but I think we have a decent powerplay. When we get it set up, it looks really good. We just struggle to actually set it up

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
I don’t think it’s the zone entry that kills them as much as it is the first few passes once they are in the zone. They need to be crisp, fast, and frequent passes to get the defense out of position. Until recently, those passes weren’t where a player could easily receive it, and if it was received, there was no one to pass it to since everyone else was glued to their position.

I think the last 4-7 games, they have been moving their feet and the puck more fluidly in the zone. Even if a guy is surrounded, he’s able to get it off his tape and to an open player (Keller was a good example in that 3rd period tonight, giving Kessel and Dvo a glorious look).

PS - how the heck do I cast a vote? I just see the results and no obvious place to make a selection.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Problem is they drop the puck so far back that it gives the back checkers time to get back in position and all it does for the Coyotes is force one player to either skate it in himself because everyone on his team is standing still due to being so far ahead or dump it in when he gets trapped by the D who were able to get back in position.
It's so cringy when they do a drop pass to a player who is still 100ft behind them. o_O

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad