Speculation: Is the biggest lesson here: Rookie President, Rookie GM, and Rookie Coach?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like there were different phases of the Shanaplan where we had more experience. For a time we had Lamoriello in a senior GM role, another AGM in Mark Hunter who was an OHL level executive with a lot of success and high profile Mike Babcock. We also tried to recruit Kelly McCrimmon so we had a lot of brain power under one roof with different perspectives and experience levels.

It wasn’t until Dubas took over that it seemed like most of our hires tended to have less experience than him. With rare exception there wasn’t a lot of veteran support to be found at any executive level. Even though they recognized that was a problem on the ice and imported a lot of veterans to help players.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Should they bring back Holl, Gio, Gustafsson, Schenn?

Schenn was great, yes.

Gio I am hoping is pushed out to our #7 because of it.

Holl has fallen off a ton, I'd like to part ways.

Gustafsson I think will ask for too much to take a flyer on, but he showed flashes of being a good player and fitting well in our system. If you can get him at a buriable contract, I would.

Scoring drying up is also a function of a poor puck retrievals, transition game and confidence in defensive structure for forwards to go hunt for goals. It’s all tied together.

I don't disagree there is overlap, but I don't think that is the issue if you are still getting tons of chances. If the forwards are creating chances, the D did their job in transition and the forwards need to score.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This narrative is so tiring lmao

3 of the 4 teams left have “rookie” GM’s

Carolina has a “rookie” head coach.

The Panthers President & CEO was the youngest President & CEO in all of US pro sports. The Dallas Stars president is a “rookie” president as well.

It has nothing to do with success. Nothing.

And we should know. We’ve hired rookie GM’s, rookie coaches, and experienced GM’s and experienced coaches. We’ve hired experienced presidents, we’ve hired hockey slanted presidents and we’ve hired business slanted presidents.

I’m honestly confused how fans of this team of all teams, can think experience has anything to do with anything given our history lmao.
I think Dallas new owner hired the CEO and their chairman when he bought the team. That was several years ago.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Schenn was great, yes.

Gustafsson I think will ask for too much to take a flyer on, but he showed flashes of being a good player and fitting well in our system. If you can get him at a buriable contract, I would.

I don't disagree there is overlap, but I don't think that is the issue if you are still getting tons of chances. If the forwards are creating chances, the D did their job in transition and the forwards need to score.
3 of the 7 cant play. Now look at the other guys Rielly, Brodie, Liljegren and McCabe? Rielly was great, but the others not so much. Brodie was especially disappointing.

The good thing is they have reset and have lots of time to build the team.

Reactions: PuckFather

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That happens when you have to bring in a bunch of defensive forwards and play tight because the blueline is weak.

We will agree to disagree. The forwards got enough chances, the stars couldn't bury, the D was fine, that is my opinion.

If Florida has a good enough D, so does Toronto.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
What a waste of time and huge arrogance to think that this might work.

There are so many good coaches, hockey executives, etc.

Why couldn't it have been different?

Why didn't Shanny "read the tea leaves": contracts, Play-in vs Columbus, MTL, Aires, soft players, etc.

The inexperienced body of work is sloppy and it's a tale of 3 people in the management group learning on the job. There should be no learning on the job. There should be experienced people doing this work.

Just sad.
The Board was essentially prepared to run the management team back until a couple of days ago so nobody who matters in the organization learned anything.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Schenn was great, yes.

Need a complete rebuild of the blue line, everyone not named Rielly or Liljegren should be gone.
Need more physicality, size, nastyness...hard point shot wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Why didn't Shanny "read the tea leaves": contracts, Play-in vs Columbus, MTL, Aires, soft players, etc.

The inexperienced body of work is sloppy and it's a tale of 3 people in the management group learning on the job. There should be no learning on the job. There should be experienced people doing this work.

Just sad.
Shanahan had a experienced GM and coach, but decided the threat of losing Dubas to Colorado was too high a risk, in hindsight it might have been the better move to let the kid walk……..

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
What in the actual hell lol. The team improved defensively every season under him. They were 6th in fewest goals allowed this year. I literally don't know how anyone could have this take.

Two words:

Justin. Holl.

Need a complete rebuild of the blue line, everyone not named Rielly or Liljegren should be gone.
Need more physicality, size, nastyness...hard point shot wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either.

Timid Liljegren is the total opposite of a physical, nasty defenceman - - the guy is terrified of his own shadow.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Just sad.
Everyone is inexperienced to start.

This whole thing is just way overblown.

First off, it can't be the GM's fault if it indeed the players who can't perform.

He did not ruin a dynasty if the core can't win.

The team was a successful regualr season team, for the past 5 years and could not get it done in the playoffs.

Most teams have not even had that much success just to make the playoffs year in/year out.

Reactions: Forgotusername

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Rookie president. Rookie GM. Rookie coach.

This is all Tanenbaum's fault.

ML$E can try spin this all they want. Sell this pile of trash for treasure. The fact remains the team is a loser.

So is Tanenbaum.

I’ve been a fan of this team my whole life. Folowed them closely for years. Nothing would make me happier than see them win a Stanley Cup.

Preferably before I'm some senile old man.

It's looking more and more like that's never gonna happen. The best opportunity to win a cup in a lifetime. Pissed away by the most incompetent management group in a lifetime.

Shanahan promised a cup.

The fans, fools that we are, believed him. Now we don't feel like we're getting what we paid for. Accountability has become word of the day as a result.

Tanenbaum needs to fire his friends or sell the team.
Honestly, senility is underrated fam

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Shanahan had a experienced GM and coach, but decided the threat of losing Dubas to Colorado was too high a risk, in hindsight it might have been the better move to let the kid walk……..
Absolutely but you make the call that seems right at the time and Lou was already what 76? And Kyle needed a coach who fit better with his view of what it takes to win games. I'm not a Dubas supporter but this was logical, especially because Lou had shown a bit of risky spending with Zaits and Marleau.

Dubas' threat to leave was predictable so the idea of keeping Lou just one more year was never going to happen. A more realistic "what if" would be if Shanny had not supported the Tavares acquisition, then KD's whole thing plays out differently. I still thinks Dubas gets rag dolled on the contracts but all those years of working around cap problems could have been pretty much avoided.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Its cap space thats killing them. The Oiler's D looked like a tire fire until they added Ekholm but no room in TO for any $6M solutions. Just one guy but they need to find a right shot version and they need the $ room.

Reactions: Dr C

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
This team has become a complete joke over the years, due to incompetent management. For us fans that grew up during the sixties and cherished the Stanley cup wins, I don't think we will ever see another. These group of players the way Dubas envisioned just doesn't have what it takes. Changes will come but not enough for the end result due to the cap restaints that Dubas put upon himself and the team. You want competent management over the years just look at the Jay's and Raptors, both expansion teams that went on to win championships.Total embarrassment on the Leaf organization.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The problem is the heads on top floated their way there

All I know, is that if I owned a multi-billion dollar hockey team, I think I would make employing experienced, successful, personnel a priority over some rookie President, GM, coach triumvirate that's won nothing all these years.

A dip from DOPS. A fake glasses wanna-be nerd. And a former cult member.

You can't make this up.

The Scarecrow could be running this team and no one would be able to tell the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDN24

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The issue was Tavares rushed the rebuild.

I want 5 years of pain (trading players for picks), not 5 years of first round exits.

You don't

(1) acquire expensive UFA pieces without locking up the core first.
(2) you spend UFA money on a C when your core is forewards and your D is sus.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Rookie President.
Rookie GM.
Rookie Coach.

What could possibly go wrong?

How about one series win in nine years? Whoa, never saw that one coming. Is that evidence of going wrong?

Shanahan promised a cup.

They've won one round in nine years. One round. Nine years.

How is that even acceptable?

Maybe someone who thinks it is can explain it to me. Like I'm a small child lacking in understanding. Because no matter how I look at it, a single series win in nine years isn't acceptable.

The fact of the matter is the Leafs have underachieved since Shanahan replaced Lou with Dubas.

Shanahan put the expectations to deliver a cup on himself. Nobody put a gun to his head and made him speak those words. They were his decisions, and his alone, that brought this team to the point we find it today.

I imagine when he made Dubas GM, Shanahan was probably thinking any moron could ride this core to a Stanley Cup.

Boy, was he ever wrong.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Rookie President.
Rookie GM.
Rookie Coach.

How about one series win in nine years? Whoa, never saw that one coming. Is that evidence of going wrong?

Shanahan promised a cup.

They've won one round in nine years. One round. Nine years.

Things didn't pan out.

and ..... it's about to get worse.

Shanahan didn't make a reasonable decision.

Dubas on a short 2 year deal was the move.

Shanahan needs to go, moreso than Dubas did.

In fairness to Shanahan, Dubas' sad ploy to get more money was next level STUPID. I feel Shanahan absolutely roasted Dubas by takin the behind the scenes to the media. He crushed Dubas. That being said, Dubas' taking his sad woes to the media during the end of year press conference was VERY DUMB. These 3 hockey clowns aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Tampa's coach is a lawyer. Over time it's clear that he outperforms Dubas, Keefe and Shanahan by making smarter decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad