Is the absence of Teemu Selanne finally affecting the Ducks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Everybody has been playing poorly this season. But much of the blame can be put on Getzlaf and Perry. They are supposed to be the leaders of this team. Getzlaf and Perry have shown signs of leading by example before, but they've also shown the lazyness that they've also been known for. When Selanne was on the team he provided that veteran presence and leadership and took some of the responsobility away from Getzlaf and Perry. He wasn't afraid to call the team and coach out when the team played poorly. And he was a great motivator for Getzlaf and Perry to do their best. Because they didn't want to be outplayed by a 40+ year old.

Even last year when Selanne was gone he was able to motivate Getzlaf by calling him out for being a terrible captain in his book. And that really got Getzlaf going! But is the lazyness sneaking back in now that Selanne is gone?

Could Selanne be the answer to all of the Ducks struggles? And could the struggles be fixed by hiring Selanne to some sort of assistant coach gig? I mean this team is too good to be struggling like this...

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
No.

Even last year when Selanne was gone he was able to motivate Getzlaf by calling him out for being a terrible captain in his book. And that really got Getzlaf going! But is the lazyness sneaking back in now that Selanne is gone?
When did this happen? Selanne and Koivu were vocal proponents of Getzlaf becoming captain.

Could Selanne be the answer to all of the Ducks struggles? And could the struggles be fixed by hiring Selanne to some sort of assistant coach gig? I mean this team is too good to be struggling like this...
I got an impression Selanne is enjoying his time off, and I don't think he wants the gig just yet.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There seems to be this assumption on the boards that hiring an ex star as an assistant coach is as good as having that players prime abilities and leadership on the team. It doesn't work that way. If it did Gretzky would be the best coach of all time and every team would have ex superstars behind their benches.

The Ducks miss Selanne's ability to get open and draw defenders to him on the PP. They never replaced that ability as he was declining/after he retired. That and a dangerous LHS shooting threat would go a long way in fixing the PP IMO.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
No but he should definitely work 1 on 1 with silfverberg and teach him how to get open and how to get shots off.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Though busy with other things, it seems pretty telling
that Teemu hasn;t really had much to do with the Ducks
since retiring.
It probably has ZERO to do with anything, but the Ducks seem
pretty dysfunctional right now.
Looked like the window was just opening last year, now it looks
like the window was removed in the off season remodel

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Selanne was on this team when Carlyle was fired. He was here when they tanked in game 7 at home against Detroit. He was absent last season when they went to the Conf. Finals. I don't think there is a direct connection to the twins, our current situation, and Teemu. Even if his personality and leadership are missed, it's probably the same way other greats like Scotty, Prongs, and Koivu are missed. If anything, Beauch's absence is a bigger factor atm.

Selanne said he wants to get into the mgmt end of things anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad