Is the 2004 draft year worse than the 2002 draft year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Am I too far off in saying this?

Some might remember a few months ago I posted something along the lines of, 'Is it just me, or does this coming draft year seem to really stink?'. While I know it's mostly a European draft, and there are some good picks near the top like any other year..

But is it just me, or does this draft look even worse than 2002 looked leading up to it?

Perhaps I don't get as excited over guys like Andrew Ladd or Enver Lisin as I should. Looking back in 2002, perhaps we underrated the draft - many of the prospects from that draft are either just poised to be starting their NHL careers, or are already underway. And I must say, I'm getting more impressed with 2002 as weeks go by.

But as for 2004, it just doesn't 'stir the senses', for the lack of better words. Yes, Ovechkin is a stud prospect that's on par with most 1st overall picks to have come down the pike. But even he is somewhat dissapointing fans lately, and guys beyond him such - even in the top 10 - aren't looking like they were 'supposed to', if you catch my drift.

In fact, I think one could go so far as to compare this draft with 1999.

Am I alone on this one?

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I don't agree. I think this is a good draft with the top five maybe better than last year, but not as deep as 2003.
2002 in my eyes is still a weak draft and far, talking about talent/depth, from the next one.
Of course is just MY opinion...

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Assuming that none of the US college players opt in and ruin their college eligibility this will be the weakest draft of the last 3. I agree that 02 was underrated, 03 was highly rated and deservidly so. If you get rid of Ovenchin(sp) I'd say the 99 draft is a pretty good comparison.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
The weird thing is, I remember being SOOO exited about the first 5-6 picks of the '99 draft, and I remember hearing that it was a 'weak' draft. I never believed the people saying that, but I guess time has proven them right!!

Rather Gingerly 1*

I think there is going to be a lot of high end talent available in the mid-first round. Guys like Bolland, Green, Picard or Valibik.

The second round will yield good talent also. Players like Stastny, Soderbergom, Berti or Funk.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Douggy said:
The weird thing is, I remember being SOOO exited about the first 5-6 picks of the '99 draft, and I remember hearing that it was a 'weak' draft. I never believed the people saying that, but I guess time has proven them right!!

Disagree on that as well. Much too early to judge the '99 draft. Lot's of players are going to emerge in the next couple years.

Douggy said:

I actually remember reading how this was considered a strong draft, which is why I always though it was weird how comparitively a lot of the players in this haven't developed that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad