Is Teemu Pulkkinen really that bad, that he is just not good enough for the NHL?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
31 teams in the league and no one has interested so far of giving Pulkcannon a permanent role.

He is still young, he still haves that Brett Hull type of shot, he is still one hell of a player
all together, overall... i think he is brilliant; great passer, great hockey IQ, obviously haves
a world class shot, is solid in own end (not always, but mostly), his skating isn't an issue,
he isn't a world class skater, duh, but he isn't a slow pokes, weak skater either

Is Teemu Pulkkinen really just not good enough to play in the NHL?.

Personally (call me biased, but i don't care) i just don't buy that, he hasn't gotten the chance
he deserves, small sample size stuff, nothing more, not a single good look for any teams
that he has played for,few games here and there top 6 + some pp time, mostly bottom 6 stuff.

FYI, Pulkcannon is having his career best season in AHL, not a single call up this season
by the Golden Knights, unreal.

890 players played at least 1 game in this past regular season in the NHL,
eight hundred and frigging ninety, yet Pulkkinen played none...nuts.

---

Whats your say on Teemu Pulkkinen;
- does he belong to the NHL?, has he played good enough for a real chance in the big leagues?
or is he just simply not good enough to cut it in the NHL?

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
31 teams in the league and no one has interested so far of giving Pulkcannon a permanent role.

He is still young, he still haves that Brett Hull type of shot, he is still one hell of a player
all together, overall... i think he is brilliant; great passer, great hockey IQ, obviously haves
a world class shot, is solid in own end (not always, but mostly), his skating isn't an issue,
he isn't a world class skater, duh, but he isn't a slow pokes, weak skater either

Is Teemu Pulkkinen really just not good enough to play in the NHL?.

Personally (call me biased, but i don't care) i just don't buy that, he hasn't gotten the chance
he deserves, small sample size stuff, nothing more, not a single good look for any teams
that he has played for,few games here and there top 6 + some pp time, mostly bottom 6 stuff.

FYI, Pulkcannon is having his career best season in AHL, not a single call up this season
by the Golden Knights, unreal.

890 players played at least 1 game in this past regular season in the NHL,
eight hundred and frigging ninety, yet Pulkkinen played none...nuts.

---

Whats your say on Teemu Pulkkinen;
- does he belong to the NHL?, has he played good enough for a real chance in the big leagues?
or is he just simply not good enough to cut it in the NHL?
If he is not playing in the NHL right now, he is not good enough to be in the NHL. Does that answer your question?

Reactions: Beville

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Small
Soft
Below average skater
Doesn’t get his shot off as much when playing in the nhl
His IQ and defensive play are nothing special
His shot misses the net way too much

Thats only a myth, that everyone keeps repeating.
Small, soft?, plenty of those in the NHL.

I do appreciate your view about him, so thank you

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015

It’s not a myth, it’s a fact. He’s not a good skater, he doesn’t think the game on high enough level to keep up with good players and he doesn’t exactly play strong defence. He’s a one trick pony with a powerful shot, even then he has troubles hitting the net with it on a consistent basis. He’s just another player who’s elite at being a minor leaguer.

Reactions: Ippenator

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

He’s a former red wing so I really hope he makes it in the nhl, his AHL stats have excited me in the past only to disappoint me later

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He’s a former red wing so I really hope he makes it in the nhl, his AHL stats have excited me in the past only to disappoint me later

I really do hope so too, it just needs one coach and team who sees his true potential,
but i'm a afraid that coach and team does not exist at the moment.

I really thought when he was picked by Vegas, it would really kick start his pro career.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Small and not a good skater perhaps ?

How can you be a good scorer in this league if you don’t have the speed and quickness to take a good amount of shots ?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Small and not a good skater perhaps ?

How can you be a good scorer in this league if you don’t have the speed and quickness to take a good amount of shots ?

How come he is a good skater in the AHL level
if he is a bad skater in the NHL level?

I can upload an 30 min highlight video about Pulky
where he skates quite fast,scores several breakaway goals...
in the AHL at least.

I'm just wondering, how can one skate well in one league
and skate poorly in another, same sized ice surface.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
it would really kick start his pro career.

He's already playing pro hockey, that's what the AHL is.

But yeah from what i've seen he's ineffective 5 on 5 in the NHL. Doesn't have the needed speed, doesn't have the size, doesn't have the hands, he's not a dynamic player. Basically he's a non-factor. (this is all at the NHL level, doesn't mean he's slow or has stone hands, just not enough to beat the best players in the world)

He has a cannon of a slapper but at least he used to struggle with getting shots off quickly in tight spaces. In the NHL you don't have time to wire it up.

Basically he doesn't have much going for him at the highest level. For Pulkkinen to succeed he has to be a threat on the ice, but so far it's been more like survival which doesn't give the coach much confidence to keep him in the lineup.

That doesn't make him bad though.. If you're a great scorer in one of the best leagues you're a pretty good hockey player. It's just that he never took the needed step forward.

I watched him play in the pre-season with Vegas and he wasn't able to really make a difference. He wasn't bad, but he's like right there in that "not quite good enough" zone. I think he would be able to score every once in a while if he got a regular spot with some NHL team but that's not going to be enough for a good team to find a spot for him - and he's not that young anymore. It's easy for teams to choose to give their prospects a spot over him.

Not too long ago he played for Finland in the World Championships and as the tournament went on he found himself in the pressbox. From what i remember he just didn't win enough 1 on 1 battles and wasn't able to bring any scoring to the table.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad