Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
HabLover said:
Could this be a problem on the smaller ice surface in North Dakota?? It's a different game on the smaller ice surface compared to the Olympic size rinks.

Is this ice surface smaller? The Ralph is built for the ND Fighting Sioux. Several NCAA rinks actually have Olympic Ice i believe.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The Ralph Engelstad Arena actually has two Olympic-sized ice sheets (one for practice). Everybody seems to be assuming that since they're playing in North America that the rinks must be smaller but that's just not true.

As for Theif River Falls, I don't know the dimensions of their rink. However, it's a moot point for this thread as the US team won't be playing there.

Reilly311

you're right, they are, they should just pack up and not even go.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
you're right, they are, they should just pack up and not even go.

Some people say that's the reason Canada lost the final to Russia a few years back in Halifax. I don't agree, but it could come into play?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
To answer the question posed in this thread, yes the U.S. is on the smaller side, but they were last year as well. This is a finesse oriented team, we'll see if that approach works. I think it will, but that's me.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Roughneck said:
Just like Canada because of their goaltending right :rolleyes:

Size matters in these tournaments (although somewhat less than speed) but not like in 7 game series and rarely in the final games.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Crosbyfan said:
Size matters in these tournaments (although somewhat less than speed) but not like in 7 game series and rarely in the final games.

I should add that it's not as if the U.S. doesn't have anyone with size, just that the overall team, especially on defense is rather small. Will that be a factor? Perhaps.

espo*

Team U.S.A's philosophy is obviousely you can't bog down and can't hit what you can't catch.It worked last year so you can see why they are sticking with it.It may or may not hurt them.They want to move that puck and they have the players to pull it off so it's up to opponnents to not allow them do that.That's about the part of hockey i like best...that almost chess match tactical manouevering you see through the whole game (in good games) and it can bounce back and forth from period to period,adjustments being made from period to period and shift to shift.You could see it last year with the U.S coach,he told them between periods to get going with their strentghs and make Canada play their game not Canada's and it worked.We have to make them play our game this year if we meet them but it takes good players and committment.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
Team U.S.A's philosophy is obviousely you can't bog down and can't hit what you can't catch.It worked last year so you can see why they are sticking with it.It may or may not hurt them.They want to move that puck and they have the players to pull it off so it's up to opponnents to not allow them do that.That's about the part of hockey i like best...that almost chess match tactical manouevering you see through the whole game (in good games) and it can bounce back and forth from period to period,adjustments being made from period to period and shift to shift.You could see it last year with the U.S coach,he told them between periods to get going with their strentghs and make Canada play their game not Canada's and it worked.We have to make them play our game this year if we meet them but it takes good players and committment.

I think you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to the U.S. team. What the team (especially the defense) lacks in size, it makes up for it in speed and puck moving ability.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I think you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to the U.S. team. What the team (especially the defense) lacks in size, it makes up for it in speed and puck moving ability.

You guys make me laugh, Team USA's speed and puck moving ability is no better than Canada's and if you went on the consensus, it would definitely be inferior! :gman:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
HabLover said:
You guys make me laugh, Team USA's speed and puck moving ability is no better than Canada's and if you went on the consensus, it would definitely be inferior! :gman:

well, from your multiple threads started to berate the American team, we know YOUR opinion. I'm just not too sure I agree with that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:

You're ignorance makes me laugh. See ya! :dunce:

hillbilly

Nov 12, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
HabLover said:

as its quite obvious no team can match canada. I think all teams should probably just not show up and just hand Canada the gold

espo*

I'm sure of one thing, if those two teams meet we can all count on one humdinger game.There is always lot's of intensity when Canada and the U.S meet in hockey and this year will be no different.The game we will see will most likely be top notch and could go back and forth with momentum changing on the drop of a dime.It's gonna be good...if we get to see it!

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Although the University of Michigan's contributions to the US team may be smaller in stature, they are big on the score sheet. The Wolverines defeated Bowling Green tonight 8-3 and the team USA boys piled up 8 points between them. 5'11" (maybe) defensemen Matt Hunwick led the way with a hat trick, 5'10" center T.J. Hensick had 2 goals and an assist, 5'11" wing Kevin Porter added a goal and 6'0" winger Mike Brown chipped in an assist.

For some reasons I don't think size is going to be a big issue with this team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
LemonDrop_27 said:
Although the University of Michigan's contributions to the US team may be smaller in stature, they are big on the score sheet. The Wolverines defeated Bowling Green tonight 8-3 and the team USA boys piled up 8 points between them. 5'11" (maybe) defensemen Matt Hunwick led the way with a hat trick, 5'10" center T.J. Hensick had 2 goals and an assist, 5'11" wing Kevin Porter added a goal and 6'0" winger Mike Brown chipped in an assist.

For some reasons I don't think size is going to be a big issue with this team.

I don't think size is going to be an issue either, as long as the U.S. doesn't get bogged down in it's own zone. I think many are underestimating some of the smaller U.S. defensemen's ability to play the body and so on. I watched Nate Hagemo last night, and for a small guy, he can bring it. Add that to his impressive speed and he's very effective.

pucklove

Jan 30, 2004
On the big ice surface I think speed and grit will be just as effective as size. There is alot of room out there and crease doesn't seem to fill up like in a north american game. Although with a sutter team you never know. ;)

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
pucklove said:
On the big ice surface I think speed and grit will be just as effective as size. There is alot of room out there and crease doesn't seem to fill up like in a north american game. Although with a sutter team you never know. ;)
i also dont think size is a huge factor on the bigger ice. but if there is a dump and chase game and the forwards keep hitting the american's D, that could cause problems for them. Also, with a sutter coaching canada u can count on not out working team canada. so teams will have to use their speed and skill to beat them.
Also, why wasnt Bobby Ryan on the team? he is a bigger guy.....6'01 and he is from NJ. just wondering what the reasoning was, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad