Is Steve Yzerman a top 10 forward of all time?

Is Yzerman a top 10 forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I think there's an argument. He slots in somewhere between number 10 and number 20. A lot of people forget that his 155pts in 88-89 is the highest point total scored by any forward not named Gretzky or Lemieux. He was a top tier offensive forward before taking a step back and adding a defensive focus to his game. He also put up those numbers before the Wings were considered a stacked Dynasty.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
How very loquacious, you are.
I really don't think much more needs to be said. Ovechkin is arguably the best all time goal scorer. He may not have been a defensive stalwart early on, but he wasn't one dimensional either. He was a wrecking ball that tormented opposing defenders and set up, and scored at an elite pace. He was a 3 time Hart trophy winner, plus 2 additional finalists, 3 Ted Lindsays, 8 Richard Trophies. His goal scoring isn't what it once was, but that is in part because Washington took on a much more balanced (more defense) style of play, he bought in, and it resulted in a cup.

Ovechkin is unquestionably a top 10 all time player, and is in the range of the Crosby, Malkin, McDavid (although probably at the end of that tier - although there were times he was at the front of it), of which Yzerman is not. He's in the group just behind the consensus top 4 of all time, no doubt.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Better (In no order):

Gretzky
Mario
Howe
Jagr
Messier
Crosby
Ovechkin
Bobby Hull
Rocket Richard
Beliveau
Forsberg
Mikita
Morenz
LaFleur
Esposito
Clarke
Sakic (It's a close, yet clear gap).

Better doesn't necessarily mean greater. And vice versa.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I’d have Yzerman above Hawerchuk, Ovechkin, and Jagr.

I know Jagr, put up a ton of points, but he had a really long career. He also wasn’t the best teammate/leader throughout his career. Nor did he possess the defensive acumen of Yzerman.

There's just no case to be made for Yzerman being better than these two. He doesn't have the awards nor dominance.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
No. There are easily 10 players I'd put a head of him. Great player but not top 10 all time, imo.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He's in the conversation. Not sure there's 10 'locks' in the top 10. Seems more like 7-8 with a handful of guys from 9th to say... 17th-ish that could be argued as 'top 10'

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He's in the conversation. Not sure there's 10 'locks' in the top 10. Seems more like 7-8 with a handful of guys from 9th to say... 17th-ish that could be argued as 'top 10'

Ovi
Crosby
Lemieux
Gretzky
Howe
Messier
Clarke
Esposito
Morenz
Bobby Hull
Richard
Jagr
Beliveau

I don't think an argument can be made for Yzerman being better than any of these players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad