Is Steve Yzerman a top 10 forward of all time?

Is Yzerman a top 10 forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
As the title says.

Has Yzerman done enough in his career to be considered a top 10 forward ever.

Summary of Yzerman's accolades:
692 Goals
1063 Assists
1755 Points
1 Ted Lindsay
1 Selke
1 Conn Smythe
185 Playoff Points
3 Cups, 1 Olympic Gold Medal

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Not very many individual awards and only made one all star team... obviously he's a superstar but if we're talking top 10 talent.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He probably isn't too far off from a guy like Messier TBH and Mess would be considered a top ten forward by a good number of hockey people.

You're right. I first read this as top 10 player, but just forwards you could argue he's close.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
no, not close

Gretz
Mario
Howe
Crosby
Ovie
Hull
Beliveau
Richard
Morenz
Jagr

Mikita
Esposito
Lafleur
Messier
Clarke
Sakic
Yzerman
Trottier
Nighbor

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Voted no, but he’s pretty close imo. He’s 16th in all-time points per game and I would definitely rank him ahead of some of the people above him. The fact that he was really good defensively and experienced so much Post-season success boosts him up.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Not top 10, but close. Forwards that are comfortably ahead of him in my mins are:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Howe
Bo. Hull
Richard
Jagr
Crosby
Messier
Ovechkin
Bossy
Esposito
Dionne
Hawerchuk

Stevie Y is boderline top 15 ish

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Not top 10, but close. Forwards that are comfortably ahead of him in my mins are:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Howe
Bo. Hull
Richard
Jagr
Crosby
Messier
Ovechkin
Bossy
Esposito
Dionne
Hawerchuk

Hawerchuk above these guys?

Beliveau
Mikita
Lafleur
Clarke
Sakic
Malkin
Trottier
Forsberg

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Hawerchuk above these guys?

Beliveau
Mikita
Lafleur
Clarke
Sakic
Malkin
Forsberg
My list wasn't exhasutive. I would rank Lafleur and Clarke ahead. Beliveau and Mikita equal. I would consider Hawerchuk ahead of Sakic, Malkin, and Forsberg.

Doesn't change the larger point, Yzerman is top 15ish.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Gretzky
Lemieux
Howe
Bo. Hull
Richard
Jagr
Crosby
Messier
Ovechkin
Bossy
Esposito
Dionne
Hawerchuk

I’d have Yzerman above Hawerchuk, Ovechkin, and Jagr.

I know Jagr, put up a ton of points, but he had a really long career. He also wasn’t the best teammate/leader throughout his career. Nor did he possess the defensive acumen of Yzerman.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's behind Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Bobby Hull, Maurice Richard, Crosby, Jagr, Ovechkin, Lafleur, Mikita, Morenz, Messier. Those are 12 names right there.

I'd say he's in the same tier as Sakic/Trottier/Clarke. Not quite top ten but in the conversation for top 20 or 25.

Yeah hes definitely not top ten but I agree with the tier you would have him in. Thats closer to 15 though than 25. Splitting hairs but hes not outside of the top 20 forwards

I know Jagr, put up a ton of points, but he had a really long career. He also wasn’t the best teammate/leader throughout his career. Nor did he possess the defensive acumen of Yzerman.

Cant put him above Ovechkin at this point. Jagr has so many individual awards that hes behind him too and I might be the biggest Yzerman fan on the website. Yzerman might be the "greater" hockey player but hes not better if that makes sense. Yzerman doesnt have the bad teammate/coach killer rep for years like Jagr did.

I also think if Yzerman played his prime in the late 90s when competition was a lot weaker that he would've taken some of those awards from Jagr. Peak offensive Yzerman had a 6 year run of Crosby like domination over everyone not named Gretzky or Lemieux. He might not have won the art ross every year but he would essentially be the favourite every year and be close to it, others having career years and things like that could have stopped him from winning though, similar to Crosby.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I put more weight on an how a player contributes to team success than most. I also don’t put as much stock in awards, but I know I’m an outlier in that, so I totally understand that others feel differently.

Yzerman had 5-7 other hall of famers on his team (not counting old Fetisov or old Larionov) any time he had team success. Crediting him for that is arbitary.

Does Ovechkin have any? Backstrom is like a fringe HoF'er.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yzerman had 5-7 other hall of famers on his team (not counting old Fetisov or old Larionov) any time he had team success. Crediting him for that is arbitary.

He has Kovalchuk.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
My list wasn't exhasutive. I would rank Lafleur and Clarke ahead. Beliveau and Mikita equal. I would consider Hawerchuk ahead of Sakic, Malkin, and Forsberg.

Doesn't change the larger point, Yzerman is top 15ish.

Hawerchuk is equal to Beliveau and better than Sakic. Nice.

Reactions: amnesiac

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Yzerman’s teams were way better obviously, but they probably don’t win those cups without him.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No, not close. Just off the top of my head.....

Gretz
Mario
Howe
Jagr
Sid
Ovechkin
Bossy
Messier
Malkin
Lafleur
Rocket Richard

All of these guys are comfortably ahead and that goes without getting into many of the real old time legends.

I could go on. I doubt he's top 20. But around there would be my guess.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Yzerman is great but not even close to the top 10. These guys are 100% ahead of Yzerman (in no particular order)

Gretzky
Howe
Lemieux
Bobby Hull
Beliveau
Ovechkin
Crosby
Jagr
Richard
Mikita
Lafleur
Messier
Esposito
Clarke

Then you have the Sakic/Trottier/Bossy types who can all be argued over him. Closer to 20th than 10th.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad