Is Seabrook back in the mix for Team Canada at the Olympics?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
He started off the year poorly...looking very slow and getting beaten a lot on rushes..but he has turned it so much around..he is playing some of the best hockey I cam recall him ever playing...and the Keith-Seabrook tandem looks all the way back if not even better than when Keith won the Norris..

So with all the talk of putting Subban on the team and Seabrook seemingly not considred this time..we see L.A. go wipe the floor with Montreal last night and on the other hand Seabrook shining again.. So maybe Seanrook is back into the discussion again...?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I think he was always in the mix, but he certainly has improved his chances greatly. I checked today and Seabrook is 3rd in points among canadian defencemen, considering he is primarily thought of as a defensive Dman, that is pretty impressive. Honestly the only thing working against him is Canada's glut of right shooting defencemen. Hopefully team Canada's brass cares as little about that as I do.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Seriously though...outside chance one would think. Maybe a 10% chance.

I think his chances are significantly better than that. I mean the locks, IMO, are Keith, Weber, Doughty, Pietro, and Subban. There is 5, and Canada is taking 8 defencemen, so 3 of Boumeester, Vlasic, Seabrook, Phaneuf, Letang, Boyle etc... will also make it. Out of that group I think Seabrook has a pretty good shot to be one of those 3.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I think his chances are significantly better than that. I mean the locks, IMO, are Keith, Weber, Doughty, Pietro, and Subban. There is 5, and Canada is taking 8 defencemen, so 3 of Boumeester, Vlasic, Seabrook, Phaneuf, Letang, Boyle etc... will also make it. Out of that group I think Seabrook has a pretty good shot to be one of those 3.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hamhuis there.

The ones I think will make it are Keith, Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Subban, Bouwmeester, Hamhuis, and Vlasic.

atomicfroster*

to not keep seabrook and keith together would be a mistake, its always chemistry that team canada is lacking not skilled players

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hamhuis there.

The ones I think will make it are Keith, Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Subban, Bouwmeester, Hamhuis, and Vlasic.

I realize the whole "too many right shooting defencemen" thing, but I don't know how you take both Hamhuis and Vlasic over Seabrook. Seabrook is clearly better than both, and while I can see team Canada taking one because they are left handed, I can't see them taking both.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
He played well in Vancouver, hasn't had a bad season so far...I have no idea why he would be left off the team for someone like Hamhuis or Vlasic

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
to not keep seabrook and keith together would be a mistake, its always chemistry that team canada is lacking not skilled players

If I remember correctly the Keith-Doughty pairing was really good last time. I like Seabrook but Babcock has said speed is a top priority on the olympic size rink.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I realize the whole "too many right shooting defencemen" thing, but I don't know how you take both Hamhuis and Vlasic over Seabrook. Seabrook is clearly better than both, and while I can see team Canada taking one because they are left handed, I can't see them taking both.

maybe i'm reading too much into it, it just seemed to me that babcock really didn't like seabrook at all - so with him back as head coach, i just wonder whether he'll want seabrook there. also, even if you think the whole 'too many right shooting defenseman' is overblown, babcock seems fixated on the issue.

hockey canada seems to like vlasic a lot.

one bad thing about seabrook is at times he can be slowfooted which isn't great on big ice.

i guess we'll know soon enough. obviously i want seabrook there, i just have my doubts he'll be there.

if seabrook does make the team, no way he's playing with keith. he'll probably be the 7th or 8th dman, not on the top pairing.

He played well in Vancouver, hasn't had a bad season so far...I have no idea why he would be left off the team for someone like Hamhuis or Vlasic

He played limited minutes and by the end of the tournament he was pretty much nailed to the bench.

One thing that does help him a lot is 'big game' experience.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
maybe i'm reading too much into it, it just seemed to me that babcock really didn't like seabrook at all - so with him back as head coach, i just wonder whether he'll want seabrook there. also, even if you think the whole 'too many right shooting defenseman' is overblown, babcock seems fixated on the issue.

Do you have any sources for this? (not calling you out, I am legitimately interested, also having a Team Canada selection pool with some friends so I am trying to figure out the roster). I have never heard anything about Babcock not liking Seabrook or being fixated on having R/L pairings on D. The only people I have seen talking about the left handed D man issue has been the media. Having played in the same division, you would think Babcock knew Seabrook well prior to the last olympics and would have a big say on selections, I would think the fact that Seabrook was chosen then (remember this was pre Hawks cup) says a lot about how Seabrook is thought of. Also, I was looking today at Detroit's D men to see if Babcock usually prefers R/L pairings, in their last game all 6 Detroit D were left handed! Doesn't seem that Babcock has any issue playing D on their off side.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Do you have any sources for this? (not calling you out, I am legitimately interested, also having a Team Canada selection pool with some friends so I am trying to figure out the roster). I have never heard anything about Babcock not liking Seabrook or being fixated on having R/L pairings on D. The only people I have seen talking about the left handed D man issue has been the media. Having played in the same division, you would think Babcock knew Seabrook well prior to the last olympics and would have a big say on selections, I would think the fact that Seabrook was chosen then (remember this was pre Hawks cup) says a lot about how Seabrook is thought of. Also, I was looking today at Detroit's D men to see if Babcock usually prefers R/L pairings, in their last game all 6 Detroit D were left handed! Doesn't seem that Babcock has any issue playing D on their off side.

the stuff about the d pairings he's said a few times in interviews. if you look on the tsn website you might say something. he did an interview maybe a month or so ago with duthie when he said.

as far as seabrook being benched i remember it from the tournament. i've also seen other people on this site mention the same recollection. maybe do a search and you'll get old threads from the last olympics??

Kaner Coffee

Anna for Hart Trophy
Jul 2, 2011
Chicago
I like that he's rebounding (roaring back?) but he isn't better than Subban. Plus, I don't think he skates well enough for the big ice.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
He started off the year poorly...looking very slow and getting beaten a lot on rushes..but he has turned it so much around..he is playing some of the best hockey I cam recall him ever playing...and the Keith-Seabrook tandem looks all the way back if not even better than when Keith won the Norris..

So with all the talk of putting Subban on the team and Seabrook seemingly not considred this time..we see L.A. go wipe the floor with Montreal last night and on the other hand Seabrook shining again.. So maybe Seanrook is back into the discussion again...?

He'll get a spot, he's a vet in his prime that knows how to win that has 2 cups and a gold metal..

PK will get his opportunity in 4 years....

CertainAffinity*

No, I don't think he makes it.

And I don't think he deserves to, based on his play for the season thus far. He's been getting much better recently, which is good. But he's hardly Olympic level, and was closer to dog**** level just a few short weeks ago.

Whatever, maybe the snub will piss him off and motivate him to play out of his mind and prove Team Canada wrong. We could sure use that kind of fire from him.

Keith/Weber
Bowmester/Pietrangelo
Vlasic (or Staal, this one is tough to call)/Doughty
PK Subban (just for the PP, essentially)

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
the stuff about the d pairings he's said a few times in interviews. if you look on the tsn website you might say something. he did an interview maybe a month or so ago with duthie when he said.

as far as seabrook being benched i remember it from the tournament. i've also seen other people on this site mention the same recollection. maybe do a search and you'll get old threads from the last olympics??

Oh I definitely remember his icetime being cut (though I honestly didn't think he was playing poorly, Doughty was just playing awesome and earned much more ice time), just never really thought of it as Babcock not liking Seabrook. Team Canada had a lot of strong Dmen and Seabrook was still pretty young and unproven at the time.

Will take a look at TSN regarding the R/L thing. As I said before, I honestly don't see the big deal. I have played D all my life, on both sides, and it barely changes anything at all. The only major difference is trying to hold the puck in at the offensive blueline (harder to pick it up on your back hand and bring it to your forehand), but that is made up for by the fact that you are always set up for a one timer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad