Is Scott Niedermayer the Worst Conn Smythe Winner Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Never could figure out why he won the Smythe in 2007.

11 points in 21 games. I don't remember him being some kind of amazing shut down defenseman either, a la Scott Stevens in 2000. Sure, he had a good playoff, but nothing that should have stood out over anyone else.

Were there really no better choices that year?

getzforfighting*

Just looking at points? Pahlsson may have been another choice, but Scotty led that team.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
There were many better. I don't think they wanted to go Pronger because he was suspended twice (and they won both games without him) but he would've been my first choice. Pahlsson was another guy who was talked a lot, but obviously didn't have a lot of name value. Giguere got some talk, although I don't think anyone actually expected him to win it again. Niedermayer was the captain, was being talked about a lot as History's Greatest Winner and was seen as being overlooked both for much of his career and for the 2003 Conn Smythe. This would be one of those cases where I'd like to see the voting.

Who are the other candidates for Worst Conn Smythe winner?

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
First of all, there really wasn't a clear cut choice on the Ducks to make for an easy selection. There were several candidates: Niedermayer, Getzlaf/Selanne (leading scorers), McDonald (5 goals in the SCF), Pronger (who was unlikely to win with his two suspensions), Pahlsson/Moen/R. Niedermayer (our shutdown line), and Giguere (who missed most of the first series with personal matters).

Besides his normally stellar play as captain, Niedermayer also had the series winning shot in OT against Vancouver, the oft overlooked tying goal in the final minute of game 5 against Detroit which led to Selanne's more celebrated OT goal.

The Ducks won their Cup with a well balanced team who could play any type of style and they received contributions on different nights from various players. Niedermayer may have won the Conn Smythe based on his reputation, but without him, the Ducks would have had a much more difficult path to the Cup. Pronger would probably have won the award except for a few mistimed elbows which led to his suspensions.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
There were many better. I don't think they wanted to go Pronger because he was suspended twice (and they won both games without him) but he would've been my first choice. Pahlsson was another guy who was talked a lot, but obviously didn't have a lot of name value. Giguere got some talk, although I don't think anyone actually expected him to win it again. Niedermayer was the captain, was being talked about a lot as History's Greatest Winner and was seen as being overlooked both for much of his career and for the 2003 Conn Smythe. This would be one of those cases where I'd like to see the voting.

Who are the other candidates?

Getzlaf maybe? His numbers were good. Nothing amazing, though.

The Senators were total garbage in the series, otherwise, someone on their top line could have won in a losing effort. They put up lots of points in the previous rounds, from what I remember.

This may be a case where there weren't many good ones to choose from.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
The Ducks won with a total team effort with no one really standing out. Kind of reminds one of the 76 Habs. Of course the CS winner that year set a record for playoff goals.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Pronger was the obvious Smythe choice, but the voters didn't want to give it to someone who got suspended twice.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The North American hockey media had some sort of love affair with Scott Niedermayer in the 2000s. I don't know why.

Scoring was so low in 2000 that voters probably thought, 'We have to give it to a defenceman.' Niedermayer was the D-man that more voters voted for than others.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Pronger was the obvious Smythe choice, but the voters didn't want to give it to someone who got suspended twice.

It wasn't just that he was suspended; the Ducks won both games without Pronger - just like they went 3-1 without Giguere. Those were my top-two Conn Smythe choices that year, and the team was winning without them.

I have no problem with Niedermayer getting it. It might not have been his best stretch of offensive hockey, but all three of his goals were really important. Two OT winners and the tying goal in the last minute against Detroit. And it was still fresh in everyone's mind that he came to Anaheim to win a Cup with his brother. Good story there - and when there's a field of 10 candidates, it probably should go to the captain, since he's running such a good ship.

Definitely one of the weaker ones, but no matter who got it that year, there would have been a good argument against him.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
No, he owned the Wings in that WCF. Besides getting the big OT winner in game 2 and the last minute game tying goal in the crucial game 5, logged 32+ minutes in all 4 wins and had to make up for Pronger's loss/suspension. Was an obvious choice imo, and I'm saying this as someone who ****ing hates Scott Niedermayer.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The North American hockey media had some sort of love affair with Scott Niedermayer in the 2000s. I don't know why.

Scoring was so low in 2000 that voters probably thought, 'We have to give it to a defenceman.' Niedermayer was the D-man that more voters voted for than others.

I've said before that the love affair with Niedermayer was so bizarre, considering that in the span of two years the narrative went from "guy who's good but has never come close to fulfilling his potential" to "OMG first-ballot HOFer absolute legend blah blah blah" without improving at all.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I've said before that the love affair with Niedermayer was so bizarre, considering that in the span of two years the narrative went from "guy who's good but has never come close to fulfilling his potential" to "OMG first-ballot HOFer absolute legend blah blah blah" without improving at all.

i think niedermayer was much much better after 2002 than before.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, Pronger was easily the most dominant player in that playoffs and it should have been a no-brainier, but nobody liked him (not just the suspensions but also the still-fresh Edmonton trade request) so they voted for 'nice guy' Niedermayer. And yeah, worst choice ever.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
should have been pronger or pahlsson but obviously pronger wasn't going to get it after multiple suspensions and the voters probably weren't 100% giving to a guy like pahlsson when there was getzlaf, niedermayer, and giguere who were all worthy as well

niedermayer was simply the safest choice

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Having watched that playoffs I thought that Niedermayer or Pronger could have credibly been given the Conn Smythe. However, for me it was Sammy Pahlsson. He was the absolute lynchpin of one of the best shutdown lines I have seen in the past decade. He threw an absolute blanket on every line that he lined up against.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Having watched that playoffs I thought that Niedermayer or Pronger could have credibly been given the Conn Smythe. However, for me it was Sammy Pahlsson. He was the absolute lynchpin of one of the best shutdown lines I have seen in the past decade. He threw an absolute blanket on every line that he lined up against.

He neutered the Sedins completely.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
IMO the least good winner is Roger Crozier in 66, in a losing effort. Both Gump and JC Tremblay were better and they were on the champs. Ulmann was arguably the best Wing.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
IMO the least good winner is Roger Crozier in 66, in a losing effort. Both Gump and JC Tremblay were better and they were on the champs. Ulmann was arguably the best Wing.

I have a hypothesis that there wasn't a stigma against players on losing teams yet. That was only the second Conn Smythe awarded, and I would think that for a time, the voters would take the award's wording as literally as possible.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I have a hypothesis that there wasn't a stigma against players on losing teams yet. That was only the second Conn Smythe awarded, and I would think that for a time, the voters would take the award's wording as literally as possible.

I hear you, but the thing is, Gump was better than him. JC Tremblay, a d-man, led his team in scoring. Ullman led the playoffs in scoring. I really don't get Crozier winning it.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
Who are the other candidates for Worst Conn Smythe winner?

Don't know worst but most surprising maybe, Butch Goring won it in 81 with 20 points when Trottier had 29, Bossy 35 and Potvin had 25. I wasn't born but that strikes me as very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad