Is Rutherford the worst GM in the NHL?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
His high water mark was obviously winning a cup with Carolina, but since then - it's been all bad news.

Carolina hasn't qualified for the playoffs since 2008-2009 and they probably won't be qualifying anytime soon.

The Penguins have mortgaged their future, only to achieve a 15-13-3 record to start the season.. and firing their coach.

I think you could make a case that this guy is the worst GM in the league. The teams he assembled tend to underperform very badly.

It blows my mind why NHL owners continue to employ this guy given his track record.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Wake me when he trades Tyler Seguin for a handful of magic beans

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
What's worse is JR wasn't even brought in as a long-term plan. I don't think you can hire a general manager on a short term basis and expect success.

GarrettC

Feb 1, 2009
I think Rutherford's done a decent job in Pittsburgh. It would take any competent GM a hell of a lot longer than a season to fix the mess left behind by Shero.

Yzlamic Preacher*

I think Rutherford's done a decent job in Pittsburgh. It would take any competent GM a hell of a lot longer than a season to fix the mess left behind by Shero.

But Rutherford has made a bigger mess than the mess that was there already.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think he's doing a great job. I'd be extremely disappointed if he were fired.

Keep up the good work JR! Flyers fans really like what you're doing over there in Pitt.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He hasn't been that bad, relatively speaking of course. The real culprit, however, is currently overseeing a hockey team in Newark.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He badly undervalued Sutter who before his injury was excellent for van

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
No idea why he was hired but I just found it funny how people declared Pittsburgh the team coming out of the East in the offseason because of Kessel addition.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
The only terrible trade he made was the Despres trade, which most likely was pushed on him from his AGMs. He hasn't been bad.
He badly undervalued Sutter who before his injury was excellent for van

He's not a guy you win a cup with so I didn't have a problem with him moving.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
No idea why he was hired but I just found it funny how people declared Pittsburgh the team coming out of the East in the offseason because of Kessel addition.

Name these 'people.' Otherwise, we can add this post to the Another Toronto Fan Who Can't Get Over Kessel pile.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.

Sure some people may have, but a lot more acknowledged that Kessel wasn't the final piece of the puzzle.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not his fault Shero traded a ton of picks/prospects & couldn't draft if his life depended on it.

Perron & Kessel moves were pretty good, even if Kessel hasn't found his niche yet.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
His high water mark was obviously winning a cup with Carolina, but since then - it's been all bad news.

Carolina hasn't qualified for the playoffs since 2008-2009 and they probably won't be qualifying anytime soon.

The Penguins have mortgaged their future, only to achieve a 15-13-3 record to start the season.. and firing their coach.

I think you could make a case that this guy is the worst GM in the league. The teams he assembled tend to underperform very badly.

It blows my mind why NHL owners continue to employ this guy given his track record.

Mario Lemieux.

He sucks and has sucked for years.

Correct.

He has assembled the softest lineup in nhl history and its not even close. Even the current maple leafs roster is slightly tougher

Affirmative. He has managed to make a team with Crosby and Malkin as boring as his teams with Carolina. Malkin leads the team in PIM and fights. Frequent low scoring games. Shame on him and the organization.

rutherford's been a bad GM since hartford

Absolutely. Hard to find a GM who is as arrogant as he is.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad