Is RNH at #2C really that bad of an idea?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I don't understand why Drai NEEDS to center his own line. Other teams have expensive wingers and do just fine. See Perry and Vorachek at over 8 mil and a number of others at a similar cap hit. It is just a bonus that Drai can play any of the 3 forward positions. Not to mention that McDavid looks way better with a guy who can actually play at that high of a level. Just like those plays last night between the 2 (mainly the no look pass to a streaking McDavid when the announcers called them Connor and Leon Sedin). Nuge is a fine #2C.

any of those player have someone on their line earning 12 million like McD is next year?

you mention Vorachek. the last game he played with Lindblom and Patrick. two guys with a salary of $925,000 each. so the guy making the big bucks is carrying the line, and the entire line makes 10 million per year.

someone mentioned Tarasenko. 7.5 cap hit. his linemates have a combined 6.5 million cap hit. that line worth only 14million cap hit.

The Preds. Thier top line has an 18 million cap hit.

Giroux. his linemates have a combined cap hit of only 5.4 million.

ducks I will perhaps give you.
Perry. 8.5 cap hit. when he plays with Getzlaf, there is an 8.2 cap hit. so that line is high, with a cap hit of about an even 20 million. still a full 7 million less than what the oilers Mcdavid and Drai line would be with our pal lucic.
but do me a favor and compare the depth of their lineup after that line compared to Edmonton, when drai is on a line with McDavid.

Oilers have guys with huge cap hits and the team has very little depth. I honestly feel they can't afford to have McDavid and Drai on the same line. especially as there is so little money left for good depth players that actual contenders have.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
no. it's far too high for someone who is almost a 1st line ppg winger. Gaudreau is a reasonable price for a 1st line ppg winger.

you want to have any balance to your lines or be able to afford quality depth players, you can't pay your first line 27 million dollars.

Yeah, I can definitely get that. But I can't quite agree with your second point. Whether those 27 million dollars are all assigned to the first line or not, it doesn't change your ability to afford quality depth.
Fact is, the oilers have (starting next season) 27 Million tied up in their top 3 centre-men. Any way you slice it, surrounding them all with quality wingers will be a challenge.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Yeah, I can definitely get that. But I can't quite agree with your second point. Whether those 27 million dollars are all assigned to the first line or not, it doesn't change your ability to afford quality depth.
Fact is, the oilers have (starting next season) 27 Million tied up in their top 3 centre-men. Any way you slice it, surrounding them all with quality wingers will be a challenge.

true, but I think on most teams other than the ducks the 8.5 million dollar player is expected to carry his own line and bring up the play of lower paid players and not be a sidekick.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
true, but I think on most teams other than the ducks the 8.5 million dollar player is expected to carry his own line and bring up the play of lower paid players and not be a sidekick.

You're definitely right. The oilers needed at least one of Jesse, Yamamoto, Slepy, Caggiula, or Strome to emerge as legit offensive wingers this season. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
any of those player have someone on their line earning 12 million like McD is next year?

you mention Vorachek. the last game he played with Lindblom and Patrick. two guys with a salary of $925,000 each. so the guy making the big bucks is carrying the line, and the entire line makes 10 million per year.

someone mentioned Tarasenko. 7.5 cap hit. his linemates have a combined 6.5 million cap hit. that line worth only 14million cap hit.

The Preds. Thier top line has an 18 million cap hit.

Giroux. his linemates have a combined cap hit of only 5.4 million.

ducks I will perhaps give you.
Perry. 8.5 cap hit. when he plays with Getzlaf, there is an 8.2 cap hit. so that line is high, with a cap hit of about an even 20 million. still a full 7 million less than what the oilers Mcdavid and Drai line would be with our pal lucic.
but do me a favor and compare the depth of their lineup after that line compared to Edmonton, when drai is on a line with McDavid.

Oilers have guys with huge cap hits and the team has very little depth. I honestly feel they can't afford to have McDavid and Drai on the same line. especially as there is so little money left for good depth players that actual contenders have.

Vorachek only switched off of Giroux's line this year when Coutts became their #1C. Toews and Kane played together for a long time. Backstrom and Ovie.

Doesn't Tarasenko play with Schenn and Shwartz?

Most of these players are also well in to their contracts, contracts they signed when the cap was lower.

Problem is we have no one to play with either one of them, no one on this team has a high enough IQ to play with McDavid or Drai. How many games have we seen this year with either one of them carrying the puck from our zone to the offensive zone, by them selves, only to have the winger completely f*** up the play.

When these 2 play together it gives us the highest possible chance of winning. RNH Strome and Khaira is pretty decent 2-4C depth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This team in general has horrid chemistry offensively.

Outside of McDavid + Draisaitl are there any two players you honestly can say with a straight face play great together?

Lucic manages some level of suck with all four center he's been tried with (McDavid, Drai, RNH, Strome).

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think having all three co-existing on the team can work, it's just that RNH has to be able to show that he can play top-6 LW. There's no doubt that he can, we just need a coach that's smart enough to deploy him there.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I think having all three co-existing on the team can work, it's just that RNH has to be able to show that he can play top-6 LW. There's no doubt that he can, we just need a coach that's smart enough to deploy him there.

It's certainly odd that we haven't at least seen a few glimpses of it yet. That, or maybe RNH with Draisaitl? I'm not convinced that such a line couldn't have success either.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I'm of the opinion that once a player is on his contract, that's that. The GM does that part (however poorly).
The coach should have full control of how his players are deployed, don't give a damn how much money is on a line as long as it makes sense for the attack.

With a serious lack of wing depth and poor transition from the majority of the defence, three lines anchored by McD/Drai/Nuge down the middle separately won't work well all the time.

So, put your 2 best centers at 1/2 down the middle (McD, Drai) and put Nuge in the top 6 on the wing.
If we are desperate in-game trailing by a goal or something, shorten the bench and resort to the McD-Drai chemistry as required to force the issue.

The solution is pretty straightforward actually.

Nuge-McD-XXX
XXX-Drai-XXX

And switch to a McDavid-Draisaitl combo if you need a stronger push.

I'd like to see Pulju or Slepyshev on either RW.
On Drai's LW, while Lucic might be the defacto slot-in, should get some looks with Aberg to see what we have.

I think Todd is more reluctant to remove Nuge form center than he is reluctant to try Nuge on the wing.
Contradicting situations of course, but now is the time to experiment with the season long lost.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Lucic + 2019 2nd + 3rd for rights to James Neal at the draft. Sign him for around 5x5.5

Caggiula - McDavid - Draisaitl
Neal - RNH - Pulju
Khaira - Strome - Slepy
Aberg - UFA - Kassian

Our 1st round pick could be huge though. Tough to make roster decisions until after the draft/lottery

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic + 2019 2nd + 3rd for rights to James Neal at the draft. Sign him for around 5x5.5

Caggiula - McDavid - Draisaitl
Neal - RNH - Pulju
Khaira - Strome - Slepy
Aberg - UFA - Kassian

Our 1st round pick could be huge though. Tough to make roster decisions until after the draft/lottery

Pretty sure that's an easy no from Vegas, heh. Neal's wife/girlfriend is an American NFL reporter too so they're not moving to Canada, forget that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think there should be some rule that we can't have Drai with McDavid, just because of the salaries. I know the cap is important, but if something works, it works. Not only that, but this will help McDavid in the Art Ross race.

Having said that, it's funny how everyone from Nicholson to Chiarelli to McLellan to the players to the fans all say that we have this great future with McDavid and Drai down the middle, and yet it really hasn't been that on the ice so far. It's like some assumed future plan

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm of the opinion that once a player is on his contract, that's that. The GM does that part (however poorly).
The coach should have full control of how his players are deployed, don't give a damn how much money is on a line as long as it makes sense for the attack.

With a serious lack of wing depth and poor transition from the majority of the defence, three lines anchored by McD/Drai/Nuge down the middle separately won't work well all the time.

So, put your 2 best centers at 1/2 down the middle (McD, Drai) and put Nuge in the top 6 on the wing.
If we are desperate in-game trailing by a goal or something, shorten the bench and resort to the McD-Drai chemistry as required to force the issue.

The solution is pretty straightforward actually.

Nuge-McD-XXX
XXX-Drai-XXX

And switch to a McDavid-Draisaitl combo if you need a stronger push.

I'd like to see Pulju or Slepyshev on either RW.
On Drai's LW, while Lucic might be the defacto slot-in, should get some looks with Aberg to see what we have.

I think Todd is more reluctant to remove Nuge form center than he is reluctant to try Nuge on the wing.
Contradicting situations of course, but now is the time to experiment with the season long lost.

Seems pretty obvious to everyone but Mclellan.

I understood the 3 centers thing at the beginning when Strome was struggling to find a place in the lineup but I think that he's shown over this second half that he's fully capable of playing 3C now. It just took a little while.

Stromes price tag is that of a 3C, RNHs is that of a top-6 forward. Figure it out, Todd. If we traded RNH we'd need to pay $6M+ for a 50-60 pt winger anyways. It's far smarter to have one that can fill in for McD or Drai during an injury.

RNH-McDavid-AAA
Lucic-Draisaitl-Paajarvi
Khaira-Strome-BBB
Aberg-CCC-Kassian

AAA- veteran that can score 20 goals
BBB - would be happy with Slepyshev there. Grabner, Hansen
CCC - Someone like Dominic Moore, Fehr, Matthias

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kucherov is gonna get $10+ ... so he and Stamkos are not gonna be far off from McDavid and Draisaitl.

If the team grinds to halt when the two are not together, you have to play them together.

Also Lucic is not 1st line LW at all, so including his salary on that line is a laugh.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Currently $62.13 million for 15 players

$52.36 million for 14 forwards

Neal-McDavid-Draisaitl ($27 million)
Puljujarvi-RNH-Yamamoto ($10.58 million including max bonuses for Puljujarvi and Yamamoto)
Lucic-Strome-Aberg ($9.65 million, Figuring on $3 million for Strome)
Caggiula-Khaira-Kassian ($3.625 million, Figuring on $0.8 million for Caggiula)
Pakarinen, UFA ($1.5 million between them)

$23.01 million for 7 defensemen
Nurse-Larsson ($7.67 million, figuring on $3.5 million AAV X 2 years for Nurse)
Klefbom-Sekera ($9.67 million)
Russell-Bear ($4.865 million including Bear's bonuses)
Benning $0.8 million

$5.23 million for 2 goalies
Talbot
Montoya

$1.33 million buyout of Pouliot

Total Cap Hit including Bonuses = $81.93 million

Without Bonuses = $79.06 million

Players With ELC Bonuses = ($2.875 million total: Puljujarvi $2.5 million, Yamamoto $0.23 million, Bear $0.145 million)

Signed Neal to $6 million AAV X 5 years

This lineup is relying heavily on our defensemen and Talbot bouncing back as well as some of our younger players to take big steps up in Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and to a lesser extent Bear. If we plan on keeping Nuge, sadly this may not be the best time to go after a defenseman unless we can move out Sekera's cap hit because he waives his NMC and another team is willing to gamble on him returning to form. On the plus side, if Bear shows that he ca be an answer on the PP and to provide some ES offense he may eliminate the need to invest heavily in a guy like Green.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
James Neal is not signing here guys. He's gonna get $7-8 mill per+ from Vegas with no state tax and his girlfriend/fiance is an American NFL reporter that is not moving to Edmonton.

James_Neal_Girlfriend_Melanie_Collins_pic.jpg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
James Neal is not signing here guys. He's gonna get $7-8 mill per+ from Vegas with no state tax and his girlfriend/fiance is an NFL reporter that is not moving to Edmonton.

James_Neal_Girlfriend_Melanie_Collins_pic.jpg

If that is the case then I could see a Klefbom for Hoffman with a slight retention deal. Or we finally give Jesse a shot with them and roll with Looch and Yamamoto with Nuge.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If that is the case then I could see a Klefbom for Hoffman with a slight retention deal. Or we finally give Jesse a shot with them and roll with Looch and Yamamoto with Nuge.

I think Chia needs to be told he's not allowed to deal any one of Klefbom, RNH, or EDM 1st this summer unless it's like a Karlsson deal (with extension).

This franchise needs a cold slap of water across the face and have its spend UFA/lose trade options taken away like a child in time out.

Draft and develop, admit to the fans you are still rebuilding because it's the truth.

Klefbom for Hoffman would also be a mistake IMO and I haven't been happy for Klefbom at all. McDavid is just gonna have to make due with Leon as his linemate if that's what it comes to.

Yamamoto McDavid Draisaitl
Lucic RNH Puljujarvi
Aberg Strome Kassian
Pakarinen Khaira UFA

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Sekera
Russell Bear/Benning

If that's what its gotta be then so be it I guess.

Last edited:

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
I personally would prefer to see Leon playing a line against the teams top line that focuses on a shut down role with a secondary scoring option there. Give him some solid all-round wingers to play with. He can handle it.

Put JP, RNH and Mcdavid against 2nd line and line match better. I think it's a good experiment to try with the last 15 games. RNH is a strong shooter and passer. He's cerebral enough to play with Mcdavid.

I think RNH can handle 2nd line duties- I just don't think his skill set leads him to be able to carry a line by himself. He needs better wingers to shine. Leon and Mcdavid can carry the play much better.

If we want RNH as 2nd center and to be effective we need stronger wingers for him. I don't know how we find the cap space for that with Lucic not playing to his contract...
Line Match? Lol. Our coach does not line match... ever.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think Chia needs to be told he's not allowed to deal any one of Klefbom, RNH, or EDM 1st this summer unless it's like a Karlsson deal (with extension).

This franchise needs a cold slap of water across the face and have its spend UFA/lose trade options taken away like a child in time out.

Draft and develop, admit to the fans you are still rebuilding because it's the truth.

Klefbom for Hoffman would also be a mistake IMO and I haven't been happy for Klefbom at all. McDavid is just gonna have to make due with Leon as his linemate if that's what it comes to.

Lucic RNH Puljujarvi
Aberg Strome Kassian
Pakarinen Khaira UFA

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Sekera
Russell Bear/Benning

I'd move Klefbom for an upgrade on D ie. OEL. I'd also give Jesse some time with Connor and Leon instead of have Yamamoto with them. We need him to get going.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd move Klefbom for an upgrade on D ie. OEL. I'd also give Jesse some time with Connor and Leon instead of have Yamamoto with them. We need him to get going.

OEL, Karlsson, or resigned Tavares are the three players I'd be willing to put Klefbom or RNH on the table for, but IMO the franchise should puts its foot down to any other kind of trade.

We cannot lose another trade. If we can't get anything else major done, I would just pack it up for the summer and focus on internal development and be honest with the fans that this is a rebuild and there have been some screws ups. It's better to just be honest.

Unless it's a franchise altering player we can't be giving away RNH or Klefbom for older players that have less contract term (ie: Pacioretty). No thanks.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Lucic RNH Puljujarvi
Aberg Strome Kassian
Pakarinen Khaira UFA

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Sekera
Russell Bear/Benning

Putting a 160 lb rookie on his off wing against every team's top pairing is such an Oilers thing to do

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Well, lol, they were already playing him on McDavid's line last year, he's only gonna be bigger/stronger next year.

That was always going to be a <9 game trial to give him a glimpse of what it's going to be like. He also didn't produce. In fact if I recall correctly McDavid had career-low numbers with him as a linemate.

I'd give him a year in the AHL and develop him properly. We really need to start developing our forwards properly.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You pay a guy 8.5 million you can't afford for him not to be centering his own line.
Oilers cant afford a 3rd of their salary cap on one line.
I don't understand this logic. He makes the same money regardless of where he is playing. What it all comes down to is which combination gives you the best chance to win. I also don't think that it has to be written in stone that he is one or the other. The flexibility to use these guys in various ways is actually where the value is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad