Is Rask The Early Favorite For the Vezina?

Afam*

I say he is. What other goalies are putting up better stats than him. On top of my head, i believe he is giving up less than 3 goals per game and he is has lost only one regular season game against the sabres. I would say that game wasn't his fault. The Bruins defenders forgot how too play defense on that day.

Wow. Looks like i was right.

Tuukka Rask

#40 G 6' 2", 171 lbsBoston Bruins
BornMar 10, 1987 in Savonlinna, Finland
Age25
Drafted2005: 1st Rnd, 21st by TOR
Experience5 years
2012-13 Season
W-L-OTL GAA SV%
10-1-2 1.89 .930
Career
57-36-13 2.17 .927

In other note, i would like to trade Khdoubin and eventually make subban rask's backup.

PietB

Random User
Apr 29, 2011
Denmany and Germark
So far, Anderson and Crawford might be a bit ahead of him ... but let's wait. Some or other day, the Hawks have to lose in regulation... I hope :sarcasm:

Also, no need to rush Subban. Sure, he's a gem in the making, but there's still Dobby and Svedberg ahead of him on the depth chart, maybe even Hutch, if he can get his act together.

I'd love to see Subban dress as backup for a game vs. the Habs though, just to troll them :sarcasm:

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Well, Bruins's system will help him but early favorite, no. A lot of good keepers, in the east, so we will have to wait and see.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Which goalies have better stats than him? Quite a few actually:

Rask is #8 in save %
Rask is #11 is shut outs
He's #5 in GAA and #2 in wins.

I think without that stinker in Buffalo.. he'd be #1 and #2 in a lot of these categories (save for shut outs) though. He's been playing really well but he's no where close to being the favorite for the Vezina.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008

Rask is #8 in save %
Rask is #11 is shut outs

I think without that stinker in Buffalo.. he'd be #1 and #2 in a lot of these categories (save for shut outs) though. He's been playing really well but he's no where close to being the favorite for the Vezina.
He's actually 4th in GAA and 5th in SV%, at least in qualified goaltenders. Maybe you were including backups? He's also on pace to play way more games than a couple guys ahead of him like Crawford and Halak, so I think you are overstating things a lot saying he's "nowhere close to being the favorite for the Vezina." The only guy clearly ahead of him is Craig Anderson, and he doesn't have a track record of performing this well, so he could fall off.

Shutouts the only stat he's not really in the mix for and a.) that's the least important of the stats to voters and b.) it's so early and there's been so few shutouts that if he gets one tonight, he jumps up to 3rd in shutouts.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think he has a shot.

Rask is #8 in save %
Rask is #11 is shut outs

Rask is 5th in sv% and 3rd in GAA if you get rid of the guys who've only played a handful of games (at some point, the leader board cuts off the backups).

Anderson and Crawford are off to hot starts but they usually run hot and cold. Especially Anderson. You'd think that at some point, the pendulum is going to swing the other way and bring their numbers back down to earth.

bostonphoenix

Jan 13, 2011
He's actually 4th in GAA and 5th in SV%. He's also on pace to play way more games than a couple guys ahead of him like Crawford and Halak, so I think you are overstating things a lot saying he's "nowhere close to being the favorite for the Vezina." The only guy clearly ahead of him is Craig Anderson, and he doesn't have a track record of performing this well, could fall off.

Crawford has only played less games than he would otherwise because he was hut.

I don't like Halak this season for whatever reason.

Price - Rask will be an interesting tilt this sunday. I personally take Rask over Price.

I think Crawford, Niemi, Rinne are real competitors. Crawford with Chicago's stellar play is an interesting pick.

Fasth in Anaheim is an interesting choice. IF he takes over the starting job he could do very very well.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I don't think so. Seems like some other goalies are playing better right now.

I actually think there isn't a clear Vezina stand out at the moment-as the season progresses I think there will be more separation, but I don't think Tuukka is even really being discussed in hockey media as a possible Vezina candidate (not that this is a big deal right now, but makes me think Tuukka is solid but not really on any radars at the moment-not to mention he has to compete with Tim Thomas' shadow).

member 96824

Anderson, Crawford, Rask, Luongo, Rinne, Halak, Price

All have been great, and I would assume they will continue

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Usually by this point in the season we see one or two clear standouts for most of these awards and at least for the Vezina, I'm not seeing it yet.

In a similar thread from a couple weeks ago, I said Anderson had sick numbers. He's been hurt and I don't know if he's close to returning, although there have been some "changes" in the Sens defense so we'll see if that continues. Crawford is notoriously streaky, but ATM Chicago can do no wrong. Even CP31 in MTL could get some looks.

Rask is in the discussion I suppose, but I wouldn't call him the favorite. There's a pack of 5-6 guys playing very well.

As for Subban he's at least 3-4 years away from being ready for the big squad in Boston. Khudobin will stay in Boston this year, but if he continues to play well, he'll get a good contract offer elsewhere and leave on his own as a free agent.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I definitely consider him in the running. His consistency has been pretty remarkable. He's given the Bruins a chance to win pretty much every single game, which is all that you could possibly ask from your goalie.

If the season ended today, obviously you'd have to give it to Anderson, but his injury, coupled with the fact that he really doesn't have much pedigree, might take him out of the running, even if he can somewhat keep up his play. Same goes for Crawford, minus the injury part. I kind of think that in a shortened season the voters will be less likely to go with a guy without much pedigree due to them considering it a fluke, even if that does go against the point of the award (the best goaltender in a specific season, with past performance thrown out the window)

If I had to make a prediction for who would be the three finalists at the end of the year, I'd go with Rask, Rinne and Price, in no particular order. Lehtonen and Backstrom also look like they could be threats (wow, Finland).

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He's up there. He could definitely be a nominee towards the end of the year. Besides that one game in Buffalo, he's been extremely consistent. The defense has played pretty bad lately, too. He put on a clinic in Florida and New York, he'll play even better when Chara and the gang wakes up. In the long haul, he'll become more noticed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad