Is Rangers Management Doing Anything to Apologize to Fans?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
A formal apology? Sales? Free concessions? Give aways?... Anything?

The damn Penguins are doing all of those. Are the Rangers doing anything to apologize for the lockout? Please do more than "Thank you fans!"... I know the Rangers are a valuable team and won't have any ticket sale issues when hockey's back, but even so that's not a good excuse to not offer anything. I'm sure they're doing something though. I just haven't heard anything about it.

And before anyone says stop complaining, you can just go suck a fat one. For being a loyal fan and giving these guys my hard earned money the second they get back to the ice, I wan't my god damn apology. And preferably not just in words. Do more than tell me you're sorry. Show me you're sorry.

Why should they? The fans are flocking back. Maybe they paint "Thank You Fans" on the ice. I feel warm and fuzzy.

Thesensation19*

When your fan base consists largely of bandwagon fans you are forced to do promotional things to attract new fans and bring back fans alienated by the lockout. The Rangers don't have that issue.

Amen

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Whether or not the Rangers or ownership wanted the lockout isnt the issue really. The issue is they had a ton of arena workers and Rangers employees possibly on the shelf and thats the thing I would hope they took care of. We may never know that end of it though.

As far as what the fans get? On top of a grand opening night, Im sure theyll do some corny, relatively inexpensive giveaways and such at games to placate the fans. MSG is about charity work and the paying fans are just that, paying fans.

Teams like the Pens have to make sure their fans come back because a larger share of ticket sales come from the middle class. In New York the majority of the arena profit comes from corporate sales, so giving them something back is meaningless when a large corporation drops over 1M for a vip suite, to see multiple events including the Rangers.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This is a sad thread.

In the Rangers' case, more than enough people are going to flock to MSG to pay exorbitant ticket and concession prices. Why do they need to thank anyone? Why do you feel you need an apology? What does that apology even accomplish when the status quo remains?

SupersonicMonkey*

What real difference would it make if they did? Unless Dolan invents a time machine and goes back to stop the lockout.

Who cares what the Penguins do, they should apologize. Their poster boy was one of the biggest problems. Crosby couldn't keep his Malkin sucker shut for five minutes. He, Toews, and Iginla were some of the hardline players.

They can apologize by, and quoting Tortorella, going about their business. Be ready when the puck drops. Maintain a consistent winning product.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Might be better to just ignore this one instead of going for the all out apology.

If I see 'thank you fans' painted across the blueline...I'm going to lose it

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
They're luring all of the suckers back with gifts. It's like a deadbeat Dad trying to buy his way into his kids hearts with toys. The dumb ones always come running back.

I was sitting at a table full of Pens fans last night for bar trivia, and every one of them was chomping at the bit to go raid the merch counters. Not one of them had a grasp on what had really gone on for the last 5 months.

"Sorry you couldn't find anything else to do with your time while we bickered like children and put hundreds of our employees out of work. Here's some free nachos and a half-priced Matt Cooke jersey."

Wahoo.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
They're luring all of the suckers back with gifts. It's like a deadbeat Dad trying to buy his way into his kids hearts with toys. The dumb ones always come running back.

I was sitting at a table full of Pens fans last night for bar trivia, and every one of them was chomping at the bit to go raid the merch counters. Not one of them had a grasp on what had really gone on for the last 5 months.

"Sorry you couldn't find anything else to do with your time while we bickered like children and put hundreds of our employees out of work. Here's some free nachos and a half-priced Matt Cooke jersey."

Wahoo.

Exactly.

I cant understand why some folks are actually looking for a handout. Its just adding insult to injury.

But Pens ownership is really showing how much they love those fans. That $200 dollar Matt Cooke jersey that costs 15$ to make is now only going to be $100.

THANK YOU FANS!

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana

Wahoo.

Hahaha. Sig worthy.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
A formal apology? Sales? Free concessions? Give aways?... Anything?

The damn Penguins are doing all of those. Are the Rangers doing anything to apologize for the lockout? Please do more than "Thank you fans!"... I know the Rangers are a valuable team and won't have any ticket sale issues when hockey's back, but even so that's not a good excuse to not offer anything. I'm sure they're doing something though. I just haven't heard anything about it.

And before anyone says stop complaining, you can just go suck a fat one. For being a loyal fan and giving these guys my hard earned money the second they get back to the ice, I wan't my god damn apology. And preferably not just in words. Do more than tell me you're sorry. Show me you're sorry.

You want a favor from a corporation?

The favor will be to allow you to pay more to attend a game and to pay more to eat and drink at the game. Congratulations on your prizes.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Exactly.

I cant understand why some folks are actually looking for a handout. Its just adding insult to injury.

But Pens ownership is really showing how much they love those fans. That $200 dollar Matt Cooke jersey that costs 15$ to make is now only going to be $100.

THANK YOU FANS!

Free stuff, free food--some just can't help themselves. If that's all it takes to get someone back on board it will be all it takes next time as well. This point about apologies is crap. They're back. I'm glad--but it's only because I love watching the Rangers (and it is idiotic--like many of the things we do in our lives but WTF) and hope they'll win another cup some day.

steviek3b

Feb 18, 2005
Northern, NJ
The Rangers brought in Rick Nash in the off-season. They have improved every year for the past 7 years (well minus the one year they missed the playoffs). We are no longer the failure of a franchise that we once were that missed the playoffs for 7 straight years.

We are one of the top 3 favorites to win the cup.

That is good enough for me. The Rangers and Rangers players don't owe me anything. They were not responsible for the lockout. Other teams and the NHL as a whole were responsible for it.

I do wish that the NHL as a whole would do something, such as give a free/discounted Center Ice tv package. But, I am not holding my breath.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
The Kings just donated $1m to local charities.

Something like that would be the best good will gesture possible.

Give every MSG employee who lost income because of the lockout $5k.
Give every bar/restauarnt within 5 block radius of MSG that was badly impacted financially $10k.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
For the life of me I can't think of a legitimate reason as to why management owes us any sort of apology in any form, nor why you feel in some way you deserve one from them.

Personally, if I was a Pens fan, I'd frankly be embarrassed. Well, even more embarrassed then I would be normally just for being a Pens fan, anyway...

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

Wahoo.

I highlighted this because I find all of our collective ranting and raving against the NHL funny and not a little ironic. Here we all are on a chat board dedicated to NHL hockey......*****ing and moaning about that enterprise that is NHL hockey. You would all have to admit that the lunacy of the last few months by owners and players is exceeded possibly only by the lunacy of the fans.

In the end that's the saving grace of hockey: The slavish devotion of it's fan base. We're all addicted to the crack that is NHL hockey. Embrace it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad