Is Randy Carlyle Helping James Van Riemsdyk Realize his Full Potential?

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
James Van Riemsdyk has been one of the best Leaf forwards so far this season, and he has quickly captured my heart and has become one of my favourite Leafs.

In the first game, JVR was kind of quiet and did not do too much. Randy Carlyle then told him to go to the dirty areas more, and then JVR started using his body better, and has really taken his game to another level, the same level from the playoff run he had with the Flyers. In the game today I realized how fast he can skate too, blowing by the two Capital defenders for a breakaway.

Today after the game, in Carlyles interview when asked about JVR, he said that he asked JVR how he likes the front of the net after he scored his goal :laugh:

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
He's not much of a finesse player but he's exactly what we needed, a guy that will go into the net and get the dirty goals.

definitely looks to be a 50ish point 30-20 kind of guy. He's not much of a playmaker, but will pot in a few of those secondary dirty goals you need.

great addition to the team. Really interested how good Frattin can become as well!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
He has ALWAYS had potential. His injuries and other stuff held him back quite a bit. He's learning how to drive the puck more which is great to see and is capable of shots people haven't seen yet. Carlyle is good at bring it out and you can see this as well with Kessel.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
I am really impressed with the way Carlyle is treating his players, and keeping them happy and positive. JVR is playing absolutely amazing I cant say enough

Same thing can be said about Frattin

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
JVR has been great. Would have more points if the rest of his line starts producing offensively.

He does everything well, he's big, fast (that breakaway today.. Wow), is a net presence, etc

Just a great overall player

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I am really impressed with the way Carlyle is treating his players, and keeping them happy and positive. JVR is playing absolutely amazing I cant say enough

Same thing can be said about Frattin

This.

And it's surprising to me. I always thought that Carlyle just yelled and screamed at his players, at least that's what the rest of HF would want you to think after he got hired by the Leafs.

What's great about JVR is that he can score a variety of ways.

He's got an absolutely nasty wrister- deadly accurate and powerful, but a slow-ish release.

He's got great acceleration and an insane top speed.

He's big, and can clean up the trash.

He's got star potential- for sure. Hopefully he realizes it fully.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Carlyle at this point in time to me seems to have a great balance between being:

straightforward
tough
funny

I'm not sure what else you can ask from a coach.

JVR looks great.

SteveV*

Best skating we've seen from him tonight, that one play where he beat two Caps was impressive.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
There was a reason he was picked 2nd overall as Leaf Rocket said the injuries has slowed his progression, but he's still young and if manages to stay healthy then Leafs could really be the winners of his trade.

This is my year!
Dec 19, 2011
The past
I'll be the first to admit I didn't want to trade Luke Schenn, but after watching JVR, I don't miss Schenn as much anymore.

Feels like upgrading from dating a cheerleader to a model.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Glad JVR is playing well for you guys. He was one of my favorites in Philly and wish he could have stayed. Looks like this trade has been a win win so far.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
He's not much of a finesse player but he's exactly what we needed, a guy that will go into the net and get the dirty goals.

He has the size to plant himself in front of the net and has the hands to bury pucks so I'd like to see him become an Andreychuk type player.

contour

Mar 31, 2011
Carlyle just brings forward a lot of positivity to the team, and communication to players. None of which we saw in Wilson. I'm amazed at how much this has impacted the team. Good to see players like JVR soaking it in.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Beneficiary of very deep Flyers team. JVR had 9 goals, 16 points in his first 20 games with the Flyers in '11-'12 before he ran into injuries, and had 21 goals in his sophomore season playing 3rd line minutes and little PP time.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
I think Carlyle has had a very positive effect on a number of our players including JVR.

Kadri, Frattin, and Franson have also benefited significantly from our coaching change. I expect and hope JVR continues his great performance this season and I'm curious to see the impact Carlyle has on some of our other players as the season goes on.

I'm very impressed with JVR this season, he's making the Schenn trade a lot easier to be content about. I'm a huge fan of Carlyle's style so far, and the way he deals with and treats his players. I felt like Wilson overstayed his welcome by a very long time period and it hindered the development and attitude of our players, which we are now seeing the opposite under Carlyle.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Beneficiary of very deep Flyers team. JVR had 9 goals, 16 points in his first 20 games with the Flyers in '11-'12 before he ran into injuries, and had 21 goals in his sophomore season playing 3rd line minutes and little PP time.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if JVR gets a career high in points this year despite the shortened season. His old career high is 40.

Apr 1, 2010
Carlyle at this point in time to me seems to have a great balance between being:

straightforward
tough
funny

I'm not sure what else you can ask from a coach.

JVR looks great.

HE's almost too good to be true.

But ya seems great.

It is going to be tough for the Media to bash the leafs coach for a while.

TheDream

May 3, 2011
Ontario
I can honestly say I now truly know what difference a great coach makes. Everything just feels more in control and organized, Carlyle is making all the right moves and he has good reason for everything he does. Getting rid of hanta yo should have happened a lot sooner than it did!

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Yes Randy is helping JVR, Frattin and Kadri reach potential. Just as much as he is destroying Kessel's scoring touch and confidence.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
^ everything you post is negative. Keep it to yourself. No one wants to hear it.
Noticed how Kessels D game improved? Or are you just reading the stat sheets?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad