Speculation: Is Price hurting?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Desjardins and his, what, 2 career starts?

Budaj is a decent backup. Nothing great, nothing bad. We could do better.

Budaj is a terrible backup. With the glut of goalies out there it's hard to believe that he still has a job at this level.

Teams that have great backups (say NYR for example) have a guy that is capable of stealing a game at the NHL level, so that you don't have to essentially forfeit all the games where your starter doesn't play.

Guys like Hedberg, Biron, etc are still NHL goalies, they just aren't consistent enough to handle the NHL workload night in night out. But they can come in on any given night and go head to head with some of the leagues best starters. If Lundqvist or Marty gets hurt, they still have a chance to win most games.

Price has never had a decent backup since he's been here. No veteran guidance as a kid and now no relief that he's a starter.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It pisses me off that all the Halak fan boys or Price haters come out each time he has a bad game...like they're just waiting. Price can win the Vezina one day and some posters will still complain about him none stop. They are nowehere to be found when he's playing well though.

Man it's ok to be objective and talk about it when he's not playing good, why do we have to be silent? I admit when he plays well and can see when he doesn't. You don't have to be in a fanboy or hater camp to have an opinion.

edit: I see you're talking to young gun in particular. ya he's trolling

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Sorry guys, I call it like I see it, price as mental lapse's during games, look more closely, see for yourself, watch his movement and body motions.

Don't be to hard in me, remember, a lot of people like grapes !!

I'm a long time habs fan (70's), use to seeing the best of the habs, not the overpaid
crap team they have now and the last 20 yrs.

I see Price and Pk has being a cash strap for years, price is already the third highest
paid goalie in the nhl, I don't see any bacon on the table ( unless its not showing up on my B&W TV set) lol

You all have a good day and see ya on game day chats

If you don't like Price, what do you think the solution is in goal?
Try for lightning in a bottle with Theodore, Mike Smith, etc? For every one of those there is a Vesa Toskala, Raycroft, Elliott, etc.

Or should we give assets for someone else's goalie and hope he plays better than Price?

Just wondering what you think the answer is.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Budaj is a terrible backup. With the glut of goalies out there it's hard to believe that he still has a job at this level.

I think most people have reasonable expectations of Budaj, with the shortened season and more back to backs hes gonna get some games. We might even win some of them.

But where are these " glut of goalies" ? Who right now is better than budaj and available and willing to play 6-8 times a season barring injury ? I hear people saying guys like bernier, he's not going anywhere to play 6-8 games a year. We cant be a 1/1A goalie team weve tied the horse to price so if you need a guy to spell him he's not gonna be 1A material.

I could see before Price might need the steadying hand of a vet, but he doesn't now. We need guys to know thier role and shut their mouths and be happy for every game they play and hope they dont cost us the game directly. That's about it. No one has any fantasy of the backup stepping into proces shoes if he goes down. If price does get injured, the entire teams sinks with him.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I thought we had a pretty good back-up in Hamilton in Curtis Sanford, but he somehow fell off the map and is now in Russia I believe.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think most people have reasonable expectations of Budaj, with the shortened season and more back to backs hes gonna get some games. We might even win some of them.

But where are these " glut of goalies" ? Who right now is better than budaj and available and willing to play 6-8 times a season barring injury ? I hear people saying guys like bernier, he's not going anywhere to play 6-8 games a year. We cant be a 1/1A goalie team weve tied the horse to price so if you need a guy to spell him he's not gonna be 1A material.

I could see before Price might need the steadying hand of a vet, but he doesn't now. We need guys to know thier role and shut their mouths and be happy for every game they play and hope they dont cost us the game directly. That's about it. No one has any fantasy of the backup stepping into proces shoes if he goes down. If price does get injured, the entire teams sinks with him.

All good points. I don't like how hard this team rides Price, maybe thats part of the problem. There's no need to have a backup play only 12-15 games a year. It would be a much healthier combo if we did a 55-25 or 60-20 split with a guy like JS Giguere for example. I recognize that glut is a strong word but there seems to be journeymen goalies every year looking for a spot.

A premier backup, even at this stage in Price's career is good for him. Takes the pressure off if he's going through a slump, gives him an extra day or 2 to recover from minor injuries, etc. Even a bit of healthy competition, something management has tried its' best to run out of town since Price broke into the league. It's like we're afraid of Price losing his job, even for a short while. Like it means the organization made a mistake or something. Bruins ran with Rask in 2010, did pretty good too. Look how Thomas responded to that.

We've grossly mishandled Price in that respect essentially since we drafted him. We have never given him a chance to lose his starters job.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
no, just overrated that's all

Funny that other fanbase thinks Price is amongst the best in the league and most agree that Price should be the starter for Team Canada in Sochi.

But yeah, apparently, he sucks and is overrated.

Or maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

Anyone who knows a little bit about hockey can see Price being one of the best goalie out there. Any fans, any goalie experts, any coachs, any players agree on that... It's not that hard to see.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
All good points. I don't like how hard this team rides Price, maybe thats part of the problem. There's no need to have a backup play only 12-15 games a year. It would be a much healthier combo if we did a 55-25 or 60-20 split with a guy like JS Giguere for example. I recognize that glut is a strong word but there seems to be journeymen goalies every year looking for a spot.

A premier backup, even at this stage in Price's career is good for him. Takes the pressure off if he's going through a slump, gives him an extra day or 2 to recover from minor injuries, etc. Even a bit of healthy competition, something management has tried its' best to run out of town since Price broke into the league. It's like we're afraid of Price losing his job, even for a short while. Like it means the organization made a mistake or something. Bruins ran with Rask in 2010, did pretty good too. Look how Thomas responded to that.

We've grossly mishandled Price in that respect essentially since we drafted him. We have never given him a chance to lose his starters job.

You gotta let the horses run. price is a workhorse he wants lots of games, we had a 1/1a and it was bad for his development.

The have have not done poorly by price but barring some long term injury, no one else is gonna get enough games where they could challenge him. We've made the decision, second guessing it by bringing in another 1a does nobody any good. The organization looked at their assets and despite the halak run, decided to tie the cart to price and I'm glad they did.

We need a guy to spell price and not tank it by directly costing us games. Old vets that are good need more games, we need someone to keep the net warm waiting for prices return. In this respect budaj, and to a similar extent he's big he's bald he's Alex would are precisely what we need.

This is prices team until he's run out of town.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Funny that other fanbase thinks Price is amongst the best in the league and most agree that Price should be the starter for Team Canada in Sochi.

But yeah, apparently, he sucks and is overrated.

Or maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

Anyone who knows a little bit about hockey can see Price being one of the best goalie out there. Any fans, any goalie experts, any coachs, any players agree on that... It's not that hard to see.

I know...it's taboo to talk about Price here. Price is the new Saku. Yet, while he doesn't suck, to this day, we still have no idea how Price will react being the man in the playoffs. We don't know. We THINK he'll be great. We surely think he will be, but we don't know that. And he hasn't had the chance to steal too many games on his own. Tough to beat an opponent when you don't score...I know all that. But he still hasn't had the chance to proove how franchise he can be.

As far as Sotchi is concerned, well ask yourself that question...who else is out there? Which leaves what as far as canadian goalies are concerned? Crawford? Ward? Luongo? Brodeur? Fleury? Whether people like it or not, Price's name isn't mentioned because he's lights out and a future hall of famer...Price's name is mentioned because he is good and....it's not an era of GREAT canadian goalies. I mean, I look at the names, and chances are I'd still go with Brodeur. We better hope we're strong everywhere else...not sure goaltending will be our strength.

What people are saying, what every expert is saying is mostly that Price seems to have the best POTENTIAL out of everybody. But potential needs to be translated. And it's not there yet. Which is normal 'cause it takes more time for a goalie to achieve it but people should stop talking as if he's there already 'cause he clearly isn't.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You gotta let the horses run. price is a workhorse he wants lots of games, we had a 1/1a and it was bad for his development.

The have have not done poorly by price but barring some long term injury, no one else is gonna get enough games where they could challenge him. We've made the decision, second guessing it by bringing in another 1a does nobody any good. The organization looked at their assets and despite the halak run, decided to tie the cart to price and I'm glad they did.

We need a guy to spell price and not tank it by directly costing us games. Old vets that are good need more games, we need someone to keep the net warm waiting for prices return. In this respect budaj, and to a similar extent he's big he's bald he's Alex would are precisely what we need.

This is prices team until he's run out of town.

I don't have to like it but you are absolutely correct. Cheers.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I know...it's taboo to talk about Price here. Price is the new Saku. Yet, while he doesn't suck, to this day, we still have no idea how Price will react being the man in the playoffs. We don't know. We THINK he'll be great. We surely think he will be, but we don't know that. And he hasn't had the chance to steal too many games on his own. Tough to beat an opponent when you don't score...I know all that. But he still hasn't had the chance to proove how franchise he can be.

As far as Sotchi is concerned, well ask yourself that question...who else is out there? Which leaves what as far as canadian goalies are concerned? Crawford? Ward? Luongo? Brodeur? Fleury? Whether people like it or not, Price's name isn't mentioned because he's lights out and a future hall of famer...Price's name is mentioned because he is good and....it's not an era of GREAT canadian goalies. I mean, I look at the names, and chances are I'd still go with Brodeur. We better hope we're strong everywhere else...not sure goaltending will be our strength.

What people are saying, what every expert is saying is mostly that Price seems to have the best POTENTIAL out of everybody. But potential needs to be translated. And it's not there yet. Which is normal 'cause it takes more time for a goalie to achieve it but people should stop talking as if he's there already 'cause he clearly isn't.

:handclap:

Real talk. Agree 100%

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

When the have were rolling price is our best player. When the have suck, he's still our best player. We ended up where we did despite price's play last year not because of it.

If the idea is that you are not willing to grant price the franchise status because he can't singlehandedly take a bottom to middling team to the cup ala st pat, that's some pretty rarefied air.

Pekka rinne hasn't done any more than price and right now he's the only one anyone trades price straight up for ( and I would pass). Lundquist is too old, quick is still kinda iffy despite the cup and guys like Schneider and Rask have proven demonstrably less than price.

I agree with unmet potential but price would have to devolve considerably to not be considered top 10 and the upside is there. For cripes sakes, he's 24 and will likely continue to get better. He doesn't need to be Roy 2.0, just keep on his current trajectory and he will be in stochi and everything will be fine.

Carey price took pretty much the hardest job in the NHL, and struggled with it as he grew. I'll admit it was touch and go for a while, especially with the halak run. I seriously question the people who think that he somehow was handed the job ( undeservedly) have thryever watched him play ? Has he dogged it? Sure but over the last 2 to three years to suggest that he hasn't been the teams best player, by a wide margin, is nonsense.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Do you like horses?:sarcasm:

Do you ? Carey price is, and will be,THE goalie for the Habs. With that in mind, Budaj is precisely what we need so long as he does not cost us games. If he plays like he did against the sabres, that's about all we are going to get.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Do you ? Carey price is, and will be,THE goalie for the Habs. With that in mind, Budaj is precisely what we need so long as he does not cost us games. If he plays like he did against the sabres, that's about all we are going to get.

No one is suggesting he shouldn't be. The discussion was whether we believe he is playing through an injury and not whether he'll be the habs goalie. Given his long contract, I think most of realize he our number 1 and I'm glad to have him.

dukeofjive*

He did look great the first few games

I thought he looked better and ready this season, doing more puck contral and long passes, he looked hot for the first 6 to 8 games

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
No one is suggesting he shouldn't be. The discussion was whether we believe he is playing through an injury and not whether he'll be the habs goalie. Given his long contract, I think most of realize he our number 1 and I'm glad to have him.

I'm still waiting to know the identities of this supposed glut of goalies.

I saw him wince a couple of times, he might be hurt but I don't think he's injured. If its from the eller shot in warmups, its not like halak where he can re tweak it.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010

Price was outstanding in the 2011 playoff series versus Boston. So I have an idea about how he will react in the playoffs.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Probably still hurting from that beating the leafs gave him the other night..

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Sorry guys, I call it like I see it, price as mental lapse's during games, look more closely, see for yourself, watch his movement and body motions.

I'm impressed with your ability to be blind and a consistent poster on this board. You have no idea what you're talking about if you're questioning Prices movements in net, he's probably the most sound positional goal tender in the league :laugh:

Muminek

Jan 20, 2012
I'm impressed with your ability to be blind and a consistent poster on this board. You have no idea what you're talking about if you're questioning Prices movements in net, he's probably the most sound positional goal tender in the league :laugh:

Please, don`t quote him. I`m all for healthy critique and Price shouldn`t be treated like a sacred cow, but with this guy it`s personal for whaterver reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad