Is part of the solution starts with Luke Richardson

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Maybe all we need is to replace the Assistant coaching staff and promote Luke from Bingo.

What would be the Pros and Cons of promoting Luke Richardson to the big club as Assistant coach with the Sens.

Pros:
His presence with the team should improve our D.
If the Paul MacLean's (signed for 2 more years) experience is failing again next year, he could replace him.

Cons:
Our prospects development would suffer.
And we need to find a new Bingo coach

Anything else

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Maybe all we need is to replace the Assistant coaching staff and promote Luke from Bingo.

What would be the Pros and Cons of promoting Luke Richardson to the big club as Assistant coach with the Sens.

Pros:
His presence with the team should improve our D.
If the Paul MacLean's (signed for 2 more years) experience is failing again next year, he could replace him.

Cons:
Our prospects development would suffer.
And we need to find a new Bingo coach

Anything else
He reportedly is signed in Binghamton to a contract that mirrors the length of his daughter's college program a short drive away.

I would be game changing to have him coach the defense, though.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Seems pretty short sighted to mess with a good thing in Bingo for a quick fix when we aren't making the playoffs anyway.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Whether it's inexperience, bad coaching, I've decided to give my take on our defense.

Karlsson - Offensive - 23 years old
Ceci - Offensive - 19 years old
Cowen - Seems to want to be offensive - 22 years old
Weircioch - Offensive - 22 years old

Methot - Defensive - 28 years old
Gryba - Defensive - 25 years old
Phillips - Tries to play defense - 35 years old

From that list the most disappointing season belongs to Cowen & Phillips.

Cowen: Injuries has hampered his development pretty significantly and management didn't help either burning one of his ELC years. That's 2 seasons of development we lost with him. He spent a total of 3 games in the AHL.

Ceci: Has had his share of hiccups this season but he's handled himself pretty well and looks like he could become something special for this team down the road. With that said, on a good team he probably would have spent a full season in the AHL getting top line minutes.

Karlsson: Best offensive d-man in the league, just needs a defensive minded pairing that can make a pass and back him up from time to time when he gets caught out of position. (See Methot)

Weircioch: He has potential to be a third-fourth d-man but needs to be playing to get his game together. I don't personally see him in the teams future plans though so maybe it's time to package him up in a trade.

Methot: He is our best defensive d-man and can chip in on a few points throughout the season. He has shown last season he can play next to Karlsson and is in the limited group of Sens that can actually lay out a big hit.

Gryba: In his second season with the club and looks to be a good bottom pairing d-man. He has had his fair of mistakes but is defensively responsible and is what you want for a #5-6 guy.

Phillips: He has been horrible this season but a lot of that can be directed to how he is being used on the team. Old age is catching up to him and he is no longer that number 3-4 guy he was in his prime.

I know it's not news to anyone but we lack that second pairing defense. We have a lot of number 5's and 6's who has the potential to grow, but nobody has stepped up to fill in the void.

As for coaching, the fact that this team gives up 40+ shots on a nightly basis and the inability to get the puck out of our zone speaks for itself.

WhiteLight*

Meh, I can't see him making chicken salad out of chicken ****.

______ - Karlsson
Methot - _______
Phillips/Cowen/Ceci/Wiercioch/Gryba/Corvo/Borowiecki

The defense was worse than this last year and the team was more than fine defensively. The right coach can easily make this team an average defensive team at least

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Good news at least for now looks like Nolan has agreed to a 3 yr extension with Buffalo. so anyone worried about richardson going there could relax a bit.
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie Mar 17
Ted Nolan's three-year contract extension with BUF in hands of lawyers. Contract language still being finalized. Not "done" quite yet.
Richardson is signed 1 more yr in bingo and said today on 1200 that he likes it there, hasn't thought about leaving, but is definitely most comfortable as a head coach as oppose to an assistant.

Richardson replaces maclean in 1 yr? (fingers crossed)

Last edited:

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I doubt Richardson would take an assistant job. His next step is a head coaching position.

With that said, if anyone were to replace Maclean, I would want Laviolette to do it.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Richardson was an assistant coach with Ottawa for 3 years. Not sure how he'd feel about giving up a head coaching job in the AHL to go back to be an assistant. I think his next step is to be a head coach somewhere in the NHL.

Also, doesn't one of his kids go to school in NY? I thought that was one of the reasons he wanted to go to Bingo in the first place. Could be wrong though.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I love Richardson and hope he stays in Ottawa as a GM or Coach, but I think Maclean is a stud of a coach.

I think Alfie leaving has been a huge distraction, it's such a fine line between winning and losing in this league that any sort of distraction can be the difference in having a focused team and a team that isn't 100% invested in the system. Not just Alfie going, but Melnyk kicking him out the door and Murray blaming the agent, it was such a huge sideshow and who the Captain was going to be.

Maclean deserves another shot with players that have had a summer to get strong and refocused, I think perhaps he brings in some younger coaches and they rejuvante the club.

Seeing Pat Roy at such a young age, he still looks like a player. Makes me think a Jason Smith, Donovan or someone young with allegiance to the team would be a good addition to motivate the troops.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
He is not taking an assistant coaching job any time soon.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I love Richardson and hope he stays in Ottawa as a GM or Coach, but I think Maclean is a stud of a coach.

I think Alfie leaving has been a huge distraction, it's such a fine line between winning and losing in this league that any sort of distraction can be the difference in having a focused team and a team that isn't 100% invested in the system. Not just Alfie going, but Melnyk kicking him out the door and Murray blaming the agent, it was such a huge sideshow and who the Captain was going to be.

Maclean deserves another shot with players that have had a summer to get strong and refocused, I think perhaps he brings in some younger coaches and they rejuvante the club.

Seeing Pat Roy at such a young age, he still looks like a player. Makes me think a Jason Smith, Donovan or someone young with allegiance to the team would be a good addition to motivate the troops.

i'm curious what makes you think that

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Gator is actually already with the Sens -- he's our Scouting and Development Consultant.
It might have something to do with the fact that he's the reigning Jack Adams winner.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Maclean has a presence, he is a players coach and I think his players like him and respect him. His aura has taken a hit this seaosn with Ottawa being a bottom 8 club, but I think they bounce back next year.

I like the way he asks his teams to play, I think they play with passion and attack, I like how he plays to win and not playing a Hitchcock style of game. His teams have played hard the previous seasons and I think this season has been a huge distraction.

The team this season has hard a hard time digging in when they need to, but I think a bit more leadership in the room and some bounce back season from Cowen, Lehner, Michalek and this team is back to being a playoff team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The defense was worse than this last year and the team was more than fine defensively. The right coach can easily make this team an average defensive team at least

Interesting. So the players change, and you suggest that it's the part that stayed the same (coaches) thats the problem.

While Karlsson is certainly a better player than Gonchar was last year, he is far less experienced, and far worse suited to help the other young D along when it comes to the defensive end of the rink.

Last years D had over 2500 games of experience even though they were missing Cowen and Karlsson, this years not so much. Inconsistency should have been expected.

Phillips has regressed. Gonchar is gone, Karlsson is coming off injury and playing disinterested. That leaves 4 guys with under 500 games experience combined coming into the season that need to pick up the slack. Quite simply that wasn't going to happen. Management likely bet on Karlsson not looking so disinterested, Cowen playing more like he did in 2011/12, and Wiercioch to build the requisite strength to hold his own in the defensive end.

Pretty much everything that could go wrong outside of injuries went wrong on the backend. They probably should have had some insurance other than Corvo.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Phillips and Sens tear up new two year contract... joins coaching staff at season end? everyone wins?

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Phillips and Sens tear up new two year contract... joins coaching staff at season end? everyone wins?

Oh god no. We would have to change our name from the Ottawa Senators to the Ottawa Pointers

Richardson was an assistant coach with Ottawa for 3 years. Not sure how he'd feel about giving up a head coaching job in the AHL to go back to be an assistant. I think his next step is to be a head coach somewhere in the NHL.

Also, doesn't one of his kids go to school in NY? I thought that was one of the reasons he wanted to go to Bingo in the first place. Could be wrong though.

Well we all know about his daughter(?) but they have to let them go eventually.

I wonder what is the difference in salary between an AHL head coach and an NHL coach?

EastCoastSensFan

Mar 7, 2011
Pictou N.S.
this fan base is way too quick to turn on a coach. After 2 years as a Adams finalist Mac can no longer coach?

The same posters would be on here calling for Richardson's head next season too if the team didn't live up to there standards. This team is not good enough and with almost all the impact players ufa's in the next year, serious questions need answering and head coach is no where near the top of the list.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
this fan base is way too quick to turn on a coach. After 2 years as a Adams finalist Mac can no longer coach?

The same posters would be on here calling for Richardson's head next season too if the team didn't live up to there standards. This team is not good enough and with almost all the impact players ufa's in the next year, serious questions need answering and head coach is no where near the top of the list.

It's not just coaches, this fan base has its posters that have turned on Spezza, Karlsson, Phillips (although he has kinda sucked), Cowen (ditto). We've turned on the owner that saved the franchise, every coach the org has had (although some deservedly).

The common trend is that the fans here need a scapegoat, and it only gets worse when expectations are high..

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

I like Paul MacLean. I was talking to bring him as an assistant.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I like Paul MacLean. I was talking to bring him as an assistant.

Well then to answer your question or post, he pretty much confirmed on 1200 today he's not interested.
It's hc here or bye bye

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya

"Now everyone, when you're caught out of position and can't be effed to skate back, just point to the gap you left so everyone knows where the scoring chance is going to come from."

"When you're stuck in your own zone and it looks like you might give the puck away, you should probably just put it in your own net."

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
It's not just coaches, this fan base has its posters that have turned on Spezza, Karlsson, Phillips (although he has kinda sucked), Cowen (ditto). We've turned on the owner that saved the franchise, every coach the org has had (although some deservedly).

The common trend is that the fans here need a scapegoat, and it only gets worse when expectations are high..

You had me until "We've turned on the owner..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad