Is our bottom 6 trying to score?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Ok, so hear me out;

Once Yakupov was injured, for some reason I decided to keep tabs on the bottom-6 just to see exactly what they do. I was thinking about Lander's impressive streak and it got me curious.

From the second period, I counted how many scoring opportunities the bottom-6 produced that led to a shot, by the forwards, that A. Hit the net, and B. Challenged the goalie.

I knew they were offensively incompetent, but my god.

In the 2nd and 3rd period I counted 1 shot that challenged the goalie. It was the 3-on-1 early in the 2nd where one winger flubbed the pass to the other, and Letestu passed the loose puck into Ward's pad. That. was it.

Just as surprisingly, I counted only 2 other shots for the final 40 minutes by the bottom 6. Both came from Hendricks. The first one was just inside the blueline, where he did one of those weak dump-in wristers at the goalie, and the other was from behind the net. It's unclear whether he was just trying to center it, or looking for the unlikely bank shot (though likely if you play against us apparently).

So I'm serious when I ask, are they actually trying to score goals? They seem to be perfectly content just not having goals scored against them. They literally play as if they're killing a penalty. Most shifts were the same. Spend a bunch of time in the defensive zone, get the puck out, dump it in, battle along the boards, lose the puck.

I know we have a whole laundry list of problems with this team, but we'll never be competitive if we get literally no production from half our forwards.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I don't know. But what I do know is that our two bottom 6 centers have TWO goals between them. Eberle, since returning from injury, has 3 goals in 9 games. He is already outpacing those two centers in just 9 games, while they have a combined 2 goals (0 for Lander, 2 for Letestu) in a combined 43 games. That is an unacceptable level of production, and must be the worst in the league.

What the HELL happened to Lander? He had 6 goals and 14 assists last year in 38 games, which isn't setting the world on fire, but it was decent production from a 3rd line player. Now nothing. Just zeros. I say we claim Joni Ortio to give him a shot in the pipes, and put this guy on waivers. It's not like he's a young prospect anymore; he's 24 years old. Very disappointing. Maybe call up Yakimov and see what he's got. It's not like anyone can do worse than 0 points in 21 games.

What a disappointing draft that was, I believe from 2009: selecting Paajarvi in the first round, then Lander in the 2nd. The two promising young Swedes at the time. They've both been pretty big busts.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Id like to see a goals per minute of even strength ice time for the bottom 6 versus top 6

Our bottom 6 looks as bad as any year in the past 10 years.. I don't understand why we can't find any good players for those spots. Hendricks is really the only one that ever stands out in the bottom 6 (unless you count yak as bottom 6)..

Too many passengers on this team at forward IMO

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I resent waiting another full season to become competitive. This is one of but not the only reason why this is going to be inevitable.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Their attempting to play event-free hockey. I think the biggest problem is there's too many "safe", but not necessarily "smart" players there. In other words: they're just filler/plugs.

Outside of PK'ing, what do Korpi, Lander, and Letestu bring? Perhaps some speed and decent forechecking on Korpi's part, but the other two are just too slow and too small to make a difference, and their hockey IQ is no where near high enough to compensate for it. Ideally you'd only have 1 of this kind of player in your bottom 6, the Oilers have 3...

They need to transition the bottom 6 to being a hell of lot bigger and/or faster than it is right now. Hendricks bring a nice level of physicality to the game, same with Klinkhammer and Pakarinen But there needs to be more or that, and not just 4th liners...

Honestly I'd rather see...

Korpikoski-Yakimov-Pakarinen
Hendricks-Khaira-Klinkhammer

... than what they're using right now. With that group you get a bottom six that can at least physically dominate...

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
When Mcdavid comes back they should just play 3 lines at 18 min a night and keep their 4th line to 6 min/night. 3 on the PK, and they could play the first shift of each period as a token.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad